1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A Decade as a full time Knifemaker

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback, May 1, 2019.

1. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Ten years ago on May 1 2009, a Friday of course, at about 3 pm I was called into my bosses office at CAB Incorporated. They laid me off. I knew it was coming, but let me tell you that every layoff is a kick in the nuts. There were no jobs to be had for electrical engineers in our area, and Leah you will remember has always had the better career anyway. (She's a better cut of human than I am, and as such is way more employable.) We were not going to move for me to chase a job. So I decided to go full time with my two year old hobby at Fiddleback Forge.

Now I have worked hard, but the real credit for me making ten years as a full time knifemaker goes to y'all. The people I have met through this forum have been like family to me. Many of you have traveled to come to events with us here, and we literally love you like family. So I wanted to than you all for your success at making Fiddleback Forge an acceptable carreer to my wife. Without her, and y'all there would be no Fiddleback Forge. I am forever indebted to all of you.

Thank you.

Andy

2. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    You are a good egg Andy. People tend to be attracted to and followers of people they admire.

You earned this.

Bill

3. KP

KP Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Congratulations!

jaz322 and Fiddleback like this.
  4. theobetts

theobetts

Nov 4, 2004
    Congrats Andy!

VANCE, jaz322 and Fiddleback like this.
  5. Tutone

Tutone Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2017
    One of the best decisions I made a little over 2 years now was to purchase one of your knives. I will continue to buy Fiddlebacks for as long as you make ‘em. Here’s to many more 10 year anniversaries‼️ Congrats Andy and Leah

VANCE, Fiddleback, jaz322 and 2 others like this.
  6. Choppaman

Choppaman Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2017
    Congrats Andy!! A decade of awesomeness!! Thank you for what you do brother! And thanks to Leah as well for her patience for what I'm sure has been LONG hours at the grinder for you, so you can provide us with some amazing knives. All of us here love our Fiddlebacks and even love the friendships we've built here even better!! CHEERS!!

VANCE, Fiddleback, jaz322 and 2 others like this.
  7. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Congratulations Andy!! Not only have you made a career out of it, but a ton of heirloom quality knives that will be used and treasured for decades to come. Keep up the great work!

VANCE, Fiddleback, jaz322 and 3 others like this.
  8. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Congratulations Andy!!! You have accomplished much in that span of time including mentoring and sharing your knowledge with some very talented apprentices. To me, that will always be your biggest legacy.

The fact that a number of other knife makers have imitated your style of micarta / carbon fiber pin patterns and handle contouring style shows what a trendsetter you have been in the industry. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you have received much respect from your peers for the trails you have blazed in the industry. The fact that you have so many long time repeat customers like me shows that you have produced great knives.

I wish you all the best in the next decade! :thumbsup:

Phil

P.S. - How many knives do you think you have made in the last decade? My best guess is 25K to 30K. What say you?

hasco, prom52, Southern Gent and 7 others like this.
  9. bladesmith3

bladesmith3 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2015
    Congratulations Andy!!

10. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    It was my great fortune to come across an article about Andy Roy and his philosophy on making knives with ergonomic handles. After an exhaustive search I found @Fiddleback Forge here on BF. Doesn’t seem that long ago really. Anyway Congratulations and Thank You for all you’ve done to the knife lover community!

catalystman80, hasco, VANCE and 5 others like this.
  11. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    According to the US Small Business Administration, about 1/3 of businesses survive to their 10th year.

Andy, what a great business you and your colleagues have built. I’d echo @Comprehensivist remarks regarding your apprentice program/trendsetting styles and the other users comments about friendships. It’s good to know you, brother.

Congratulations for reaching this significant milestone!

hasco, Fiddleback and Tutone like this.
  12. fatboyclone

fatboyclone Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Congrats Andy!

Fiddleback and Tutone like this.
  13. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Congratulations Andy! And thank you Leah for approving of Andy's career change. The both of you having the courage to take that path has given the rest of us the opportunity to enjoy some fantastic knives.

Fiddleback and Tutone like this.
  14. kmellino

kmellino

Sep 11, 2016
    10 Years is a massive accomplishment. i've had the pleasure to see you at work, teach and create and you are the absolutely the real deal. Your passion for your craft is infectious and that is something to brag about.
    *Cheers* to another 10 years of Fiddleback Forge and Andy Roy

Halfneck, Fiddleback and Tutone like this.
  15. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    I ran across Andy way back in 2007ish time frame when he was still making broom handled looking things with holes in them and sharp edges. It's amazing to see how far he's come and to more importantly see how much he's shared and contributed to the community writ large. I truly call him a friend and I have been blessed to stumble on this community and can only wish him and all who assemble around our little "internet campfire" all the best in all your endeavors!

Here's one of the early posts for old times sake:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/show-off-your-fiddlebacks.593071/

16. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Someone very important that i forgot to mention and thank today is my FIL Dennis Sarver. I got into working w my hands refinishing Teak on his sailboat. He was always excited to help in the shop. He funded a lot of my tools. He was a veteran of the Vietnam war. He was a firefighter in Miami for 32 years. He passed away this afternoon. Please pray with my family.

Bmurray likes this.
  17. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Congrats on the milestone!

Fiddleback likes this.
  18. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Andy/Leah,
    Please accept my thanks for your Father's service and my condolences on his passing. Having lost my Father, it comforts me to know he is just a step behind me, always watching and always encouraging me through his example and love.

Bill

Fiddleback likes this.
  19. got2hav1

got2hav1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Prayers for your family.

Fiddleback likes this.
  20. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I’m so sorry for your loss. Prayers for your family.

Fiddleback likes this.