A familiar question...

Codger_64

This past week, an old familiar question raised it's head again, not once, but twice. The most obvious time was when an acknowledged and respected knife expert paid us a visit. He expressed his opinion on the question. The other time I can't recall exactly right now, but it reminded me that quite a few of our members were not participating in this forum, some not collecting Schrades, or even knives at all when first this question came up around October of 2004, not long after Imperial Schrade's unexpected announced demise. I remember well many of the conversations. We even attempted to assign "catagories" to knives to express what we were seeing evolve in the market.

Time and again the conversations became highly charged, as opinions were expressed, and sometimes tempers flared. It does seem odd that so much emotion and importance should be attached to inantimate objects... things... like knives. Usually emotions and rhetoric sidetracked the logic of the conversations, and feelings got hurt on one side or the other. In resurecting this question, I ask that responding members refrain from emotional rhetoric and insults. I believe that we are, or should be, mature enough to disagree without being disagreeable. If I am proven wrong, I'll delete my posts and have the thread locked. Please leave out politics, business practices found disagreeable, and personalities. The root of this question is the Schrade knives themselves.

I've spent a good deal of time in the Levine forum here reading. There are many things I disagree with him on, though I do recognize his expertise. Mr. Levine is a very intellegent man, and has well over thirty years in the cutlery industry, as does Mr. Voyles. And yet the opinions of these two experts also disagree, as far as I can tell, on the subject of the validity of tangstamps.

One expert tells us to ignore a seller's hype. Ignore what the stamp says. Read the knife. Now, I must admit this was a hard concept for me to grasp, not being a collector of knives of antiquity. How could this apply to modern knives? I now realize that it very much does.

Another expert is of the opinion that the stamp is the be-all end-all. That if a knife is stamped Schrade, it must therefore be a Schrade, as were the knives for a hundred years prior to the change of the trademark ownership. This, I cannot reconcile with any known logic.

The first expert makes the illustration of the stamp wording by referring us to a knife with a Sears Craftsman stamping. Does Sears Roebuck have a knife factory? No. Does their Craftsman division have a knife factory? No. Sears does not and never has made knives. They buy them from makers of knives, such as Schrade and Camillus, occasionally Buck and others.

In the same vein, I ask, if you buy a New York Knife Company stamped knife, for instance the Sharpfinger pattern, was it made by New York Knife Company? No. It was made by Schrade for the then-current owner of the name, SMKW I believe. Or if it was a Boy Scout Camp Knife with the NYKC stamp, was it made by NYKC? Or was it a commemorative knife made for Schrade by Camillus? Only a close examination of the construction will tell you which modern manufacturer made the knife, and a check with the USPTO trademark records will show you who the knife was made for, the true owner of the NYKC trademark. NYKC as a registered corporation, a cutlery manufacturer ceased to exist many, many years ago. Knives made after that are not NYKC knives. They are Schrades, or Camillus, or whoever the trademark owners designated to produce them for them, or "rented" the name to.

Simple ownership of a trademark does not make one a manufacturer by that name or any other. It only means that they have the exclusive right to either manufacture, or have someone else manufacture knives under that mark.

A knife seller came here once a year or so back claiming to be a Schrade dealer. I still feel like I did then. There are no Schrade Dealers, since Imperial Schrade no longer exists. There might be dealers who sell Schrades, or dealers who seall Taylors. But no Schrade Dealers. Semantics?

No one stepped forward and bought Imperial Schrade, the corporation. No one bought the factory in Ellenville New York, all it's machinery and materials, and continued it's name and production calling back long time employees. It was dissolved, it's assets were spread to the winds. One of those assets was the intellectual property, i.e. the patents and trademarks.

That is nowhere near the same as purchasing an intact, functioning company and continuing production. Witness all the knives that have been made in Germany and elsewhere using old trademarks. Will a collector be expected to believe that these newly made knives, in many cases bearing no resemblence to the original knives, are continuing productions of the old knives? No. Some may be copies loosely based upon the genuine article, but they are not the real knife. If some maker tries to copy an older knife to fool buyers, even if it is a poor copy, it is a fake. Does it become a legitimate fake because the owner of the trademark comissioned it? Not in my opinion. A fake is a fake.

Summerizing, the new owner of the Imperial Schrade trademarks and patents can lawfully use them in any manner they wish. This does not make the products so marked Schrades. There is no longer a Schrade factory. Or Napanoch. Or Platt Brothers. Or Western States. Or NYKC. Or... well, I guess I made my points.

Please respond without insulting any of the parties I have referred to. I am talking about the knives, not the people, or nations involved.

Michael

"O! be some other name: What's in a name? that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet"...

So, would you put the name rose on something else and expect it to smell as sweet?

Luis

Taylor bought the Schrade brand names, not the Imperial-Schrade Corp. The end of Schrade occured when the company was dissoved. That's the legal status of Schrade, not just my opinion.

My own opinion, the current Taylor Schrades are no more than an epilogue to Schrade's history. An accurate epilogue could provide current status of the use of the Schrade brand names, but the primary purpose should be to educate collectors and buyers how to distinguish the original Schrade products from the current productions.

-Bob

Is it even possible to legally revive a dissolved corporation?

I dunno.
-Bob

In order to make a valid point sometimes there is just no way hurt feelings can be avoided.
Isnt it a little niave of anyone posting on here wanting to promote a cause that clearly has influences from a manafacturer that is not well regarded on this forum????
I guess niavety is not a crime perhaps we could be a little kinder as a result I have deleted one of my posts. I am only new and am already geting caught in this tangled web.
This will be my last post on this forum for some time maybe even indefinitely, too much politics for me.
I suggest they rename the forum so it is unmistakable to all what this forum is about or alternativley welcome everyone who is with Schrade from either old or new manafacturer.

Regards Tim

My two cents.... or maybe one cent as my knowledge is limited compared to others. Talyor bought the right to make copies of Schrades and use the name, but is not making Schrade knives.
You can't make and promote a copy of something as the real thing.
I got in on this conversation late, so not sure if this is what the talk was about. Sorry if this reply is not inline with the topic.

I would have anyone who has a problem read the banner at the top of this forum.Among other things it says all made in the USA.That should answer any question about what it is about.As for the question of whether they are or aren't Schrades they are poor copys of a fine knife.I think what we have is a group of us who have lived long enough to form opinions and aren't bashfull about expressing them.I would not have it any other way.As for those who want to leave I say don't let the door hit you in the ass.Arnold

Schrade Knives Collectors Forum Imperial Schrade Corp. - maker of Schrade Knives & Tools, including the famous Uncle Henry and Old Timer Brands - all made in the USA. Since Schrade closed their doors, this forum has become a site for the collectors to meet and share informatio

I believe the forum is appropriately named. And I did not pose the question, and my opinion regarding it, to cause anyone to stop posting, or to change their beliefs. Likewise this is not intended as a chastisement of anyone who has posted their opinion previously. But rather to focus upon a very basic question, leaving out political rhetoric and personalities. The knives.

If I won the lottery tomorrow and bought TBLLC lock, stock, and barrell, and changed the name of the company, and bought a manufacturing facility, hired cutlers and engineers, bought materials etc., and began producing knives under the old trademarks, I believe I would still be "Performing a tribute to Elvis", and not be Elvis. Had I won this lottery in 2003 and bought Imperial Schrade Corporation, Elvis would still be in the building. Schrade knives would continue to be produced. Overlook the fact that I have nowhere near the knowledge and experience to run a multimillion dollar corporation profitably.

Schrade Cut. Co. was a manufacturer who sold and became Schrade Walden was a manufacturer. D. Divine was a manufacturer, who was sold and became Ulster, a manufacturer. Imperial was a manufacturer who was consolodated when sold and became Imperial Schrade a manufacturer. Imperial Schrade was dissolves, the names used bought by TBLLC, an importer/wholesaler, not a manufacturer. Perhaps they plan to get into manufacturing. Or alternately outsource some new SFO's with a U.S. manufacturer. But still, to me as a collector, the end product will be Schrade marked/branded XYZ knives, not genuine Schrades.

Michael

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if we would still be loyal to the brand or if a new Taylor Schrade is still a Schrade?
I would agree that ISC ended when the company was liquidated and that the " Intellectual Property" was bought for the sole purpose of making money from the name, both from putting it on cheap imported junk to fool unsuspecting buyers,and leasing it to other manufactures. After all, the name is all they were after isn't it. If they only wanted the design patents they could have come up with something a little different but similar and saved a lot of money.
I may be missing the point here, if so please clarify, I'm a little slow.
Thanks Rick

I certainly respect Mr. Voyles endeavor, and look forward to seeing his book. I also respect his position as a knife authority. I don't want to buy any Taylor Schrade knives.

I don't think the Taylor chapter is a similar step in Schrade history, as to when Schrade moved from Walden to Ellenville. However, back when that happened, there were bound to have been quite a few loyalists that vowed to quit buying those "cheap Ellenville knives".

I make that assumption without knowing how much, if any, of the cutlery making equipment and labor force was moved from Walden. Those are the kind of things I hope come out in the book.

I look forward to the beginning of the book, and would wager it will be more interesting than the end. At least for me.

I'd also like to add that this thread is a real gem. I tip my hat to Michael.

You got the gist of it. Not really about the loyalty, but can I put Schrade (or NYKC) on another knife, and say it is a schrade? I mean, yes, I can say it...but does saying it make it so? My Grandpa had a quaint saying that "If your Aunt had b****, she'd be your Uncle.

"If your Aunt had b****, she'd be your Uncle"
And I bet your wife hates when you say it.

I say, Let bygones be bygones.
2eaqezk.jpg

I have several comments to make regarding this issue:

For what it's worth, I agree with Codger's analogy. That said, I'm not going to fall out with anyone who disagrees. A Schrade U.S.A. made for Sears is a Schrade SFO for Sears. It may be collectible by both those who collect Schrades and those who collect Craftsman; but, it is still a Schrade. The Taylor knives are WonTon's Cutlery (Schrade) SFO's for Taylor (Sears) with the Schrade (Craftsman) name. They are still Wonton's Cutlery knives. I don't really think many people are interested in collecting chinese knives or Taylor knives. If they are, more power to them; but, IMHO, this is probably not the ideal forum for them. Maybe there should be a seperate forum for collectors of chinese knives in general or the NEW SCHRADES, specifically. I was once a major distributor for a particular company. That company was started by one man. It became the largest company of its type in the world and went public on the NY stock exchange. The company began growing so fast that it got in financial trouble and was taken over by outside investors, who forced the founder out of the company. The company has the same buildings, the same name, and many of the same employees. It is, however, not the same company and never will be. The founder, his vision, and the intangibles that made that company what it was are forever gone. Even if someone bought and revived the original Schrade corporation, bought the original facilities, bought back the trademarks and patents, lured back key employees, and restarted production, it would not be the same, ever. By any gauge, Schrade, at least the Schrade this forum seems to be about, is over. If there is an upside, it is that Schrade U.S.A.'s demise has made the Schrade U.S.A. knives truly collectible. There will be fakes, copies, knock-offs, and reproductions. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and will only make the originals more valuable to the true collector.

On a seperate note, I really don't think you can compare the transition from Walden to Ellenville with the transition from Schrade U.S.A. to Taylor brands. IMHO, its apples and oranges.

I have been concerned about the forum for the last week. The number of posts and type of posts has changed. Have you guys ever been in a regular poker game where there is one guy who is a royal pain and constantly holds up the game? Everyone thinks the game would be perfect if that guy would drop out. Ever notice what happens when he does drop out? 99 out of 100 times the game falls apart. Hell, everyone's mutual annoyance with him was what was holding the game together. He allowed everyone to polarize into unity.

Last comment. The son of one of my best friends is laying in Bethesda Army Navy hospital on life support after being hit by an IED in Iraq two months ago. He is twenty five years old. He has lost one leg; he has shrapnel in his brain, and a clot has caused further brain damage. Hey guys, from a few hills back, this is all just a friendly disagreement; one man's mind sharpening another's mind like iron sharpens iron. Its a great hobby; but, it just ain't worth falling out over. IMHO it's dead wrong to take your ball and go home. Drink water, drive on!

Well said Barry,My prayers to your friends son.I have said in the past this is a knife forum but it didn't work.The rhetoric on countries just got worse.Arnold

Codger, and my other good friends; this thread caused me to think and rethink the issues. I guess for me the issue is country of origin.

A Boy Scout knife bearing the Schrade tang mark made under contract for Schrade by Camillus or some other US company is, in my eyes a Schrade, because if the old ISC trusted the contract maker enough to put the name on it, it must have been good enough to pass the ISC critique. Schrade made knives under contract for other companies, and in my view the resulting knife was the product of that other company by virtue of quality agreement. I have heard that Mr. Taylor either has or is in the process of arranging to have his own maufacturing facility here in the US. I have to depend on assumptions here, because IF his product is made in the USA and IF the quality meets or exceeds the quality of the old ISC Schrades, and if it is tang marked Schrade, then I for one would consider it Schrade.

I have no ax to grind with Mr. Taylor because of the fact that he did nothing illegal and as far as I'm concerned nothing immoral. All he did was pay the asking price as a result of the highest bid for the intelectual properties of Schrade. In my opinion, anything moral or immoral all took place prior to the auctioneer dropping his gavel to open the bids for Schrade's assets. I have no evidence that any of the various pruchasers had any material culpability in the demise of the corporation.

So without getting too long winded, it all goes back to the country of origin for me. I believe that given the right circumstances that there certainly can be a "Real Schrade" knife again, and it will be made in the USA. Canal Street Cutlery is not Schrade, but they represent exactly what I'm talking about, and what would be possible for Mr. Taylor.

One last point. Please look at Buck, Marbles, and a host of other names who all have off shore product represented in their line up. Those products are not for my taste personally, but they do contribute to the bottom line of American corporations.

Finally, I believe it is when we bring in the personal stories of the ex employees of Schrade is when the emotions start to really flare and that tends to muddy the water and draw a line between friends for what would otherwise be legitiment and calm differences of opinion.

Paul

A site for collectors to meet and share information...isn't that precisely what we are doing? Honestly expressing our opinions without resorting to personal attacks on individuals..isn't that basically what we are doing right now?
I see no politics..if the Taylor sponsored Schrade book is not what we want..we wont buy it..just like we dont willingly buy the China Schrades.
I see merit in all your comments..no one has to take their bat and ball and go home...
I wouldnt mind Codger expounding further on his comments, as I am yet to see a fairer or more committed USA Schrade poster on this USA Schrade collectors forum. Hoo Roo

Heck, I've expounded too much already. But to be entirely fair and honest... I do believe Mr. Voyles will produce an excellent book. Far better than anything now existing. I have several of his books. And they are all good. I do expect the Schrade book to be also. As to Mr. Taylor's sponsorship... we will have to take Mr. Voyles word on his influence (or lack of) as to the content. There are times when I wish I had a sponsor to help me underwrite research expenses. And I am nowhere near publication. Could a person actually find a benefactor who did not have a horse in the race one way or another? I seriously doubt it. Everyone who makes knives their business has a self interest in products, books, magazines they have a hand in producing. I have no problem with that, but I must keep it in mind when reading the book or magazine.

As to the national origin, I just mentioned the four circa 2002 blue stripe clampacks a friend sent. All four have cards printed in China, and yet they are indeed Schrade products. Indeed, if you own a Safe-T-Grip series knife, there is a very good chance the handle was molded in China. Likely the XT series handles too. We know that the last Badgers were made there. Friends, I don't buy Chinese made knives as a matter of personal principal. And yet, I don't see that as being the dividing line for me as to what is, and what is not a Schrade. To me that line is, as was stated above:

The Taylor knives are WonTon's Cutlery... SFO's for Taylor ... with the Schrade... name. They are still Wonton's Cutlery knives.

TBLLC owns those names now, and if he wants to put it on a flashlight, a tent, a dog dish, he quite well can. I will continue to collect and research Imperial Schrades and knives made by the predecessor companies. That true lineage, in my own humble opinion, goes beyond the 1904 Schrade used in it's company literature, at least back to 1876. Opinions will vary of course. Oh...and I trace the roots back as far as the Confederate States Of America in 1861 Vicksburg Missisippi. We'll see how much further back I can go in Bavaria.

What probably makes it such a hard pill to swallow is the fact that manufacturing has made such a drastic, oposite side of the world move. The move from walden to Ellenville is only ten or so miles. The same employees kept their jobs as a whole, hell they were even bussed over the mountain in Schrade busses until they found living quarters.The knives were made the same way by people who made them for years. This move to China has a whole other culture involved, without the nostalgia and pride of carrying on tradition to go along with it, so the knives, even though they look the same, can never be considered part of the companies true lineage. They would have been better off to just put the name to an honorable rest and start fresh with a new company name altogether. Then their knives could be judged on their own merits, and probably sell better in the process.
Eric

As to the national origin, I just mentioned the four circa 2002 blue stripe clampacks a friend sent. All four have cards printed in China, and yet they are indeed Schrade products....
Schrade had the Apex contract-made in China also, before they went out of business. And for many years the Imperial products were made in Ireland. So the country of origin isn't exactly the dividing line for me.

For me, the line is the date July, 2004, when Schrade officially and legally dissolved. They didn't merge; they weren't bought out; they didn't undergo restructuring; they aren't under new management. They simply ended. That's it, no more no less.

As for the upcoming book, I wish Bruce Voyles the very best and hope it's a bestseller for him.

-Bob

"For me, the line is the date July, 2004, when Schrade officially and legally dissolved. They didn't merge; they weren't bought out; they didn't undergo restructuring; they aren't under new management. They simply ended. That's it, no more no less."

That does seem to be a better way to think of it, I'd completely forgotten about the Wostenholm era, another Ocean apart.
Eric

Back