A familiar question...

ISC was truly an international corporation. There were connections to Mexico, France, Germany, of course Canada, and England.

This is really a tricky subject, Sheathmaker makes a great point about country of origin, and also the fact was that no matter where the knives were made, ISC had total control over the final product, and could alter specs to satisfy quality or pattern requirements. Now there's no one left with any ties.
The only thing that still keeps them sort of in the fold is the rights to the patterns. We Schradophiles with such strong ties to the old and deceased Schrade will find it impossible to consider the new "Schrades" part of the line, but in fifteen to twenty or so years, new collectors will probably find them to be a viable addition to a collection, an additional tang stamp for a certain pattern, etc.
I hope this all makes sense, my brain is being choked by all this cold medicine I've been taking. I new I was doomed when the entire family on the last job I worked had colds. Great timing:grumpy: .
Happy trading !
Eric

I suppose another way to look at this whole issue is concept and intent. Throughout most of the history of Schrade U.S.A., the company tried to offer a quality knife, made from quality materials, at an affordable price. One could argue that, towards the end of the company's life, market pressures (read that Walmart, globalization, outsourcing, etc.) may have caused them to begin to depart from this. They may have lost their vision and thereby lost their way. Nevertheless, even the suregrip knives were still quality knives, made from quality materials, at an affordable price; at least relative to the marketplace in which they were being sold. I personally don't see this in the Taylor knives. There seems to be merely an attempt to profit from the name. Given the Chinese economy, Taylor could add $5.00 to the final retail price and have an entirely different knife quality. It is noteworthy that Taylor sells knives under two names: Schrade and Smith & Wesson. IMHO, many of the S&W knives are better quality knives than the Schrade clones. Could this be because Taylor is imposing his own quality vision on the Schrades whereas he has external quality control on the S&W license? In summary, for me, quality is another point of demarcation that we see in the Taylor era that we have not seen in any of Schrade's other historical transitions. To me, this is one more argument that Schrade ended when the Ellenville doors shut.

Interesting discussion...

I guess I have been missing the fun around here. So this is what happens when you actually "work" at work.

I have never thought much about the Schrade "later years", as that was not a focus of mine. However, I'd like to think that any Schrade made prior to the '04 closing, even the Ireland/China ones, were made to some sort of expected "Schrade" quality, and are therefore Schrades IMO. I wouldn't think that Schrade would sell something that wasn't up to their standards, and risk tarnishing their good name.

That's all I can think of right now...

Glenn

Hey Glenn, nice to see you! Where ya been hidin'??

It's nice to be missed, thanks.

Like I said, I have been actually "working" at work. Haven't had time to do much more than lurk a little and read a few threads. Not much to post on new (old) schrades, they have been going for ridiculous sums of money on ebay lately, even the well-used ones. Have pulled in a few Imperials, and a new CSC ring knife (The BFC one). Will post pics when I get the chance.

Sorry to threadjack...

Glenn

I don't check this thread daily, but I am stopping in a bit more than previously, and I've enjoyed the variety of opinions about what is and isn't a Schrade knife.

We are each entitled to our own opinions on that--and for certain if anyone ever asks me about collecting I always say to specialize. If you think Schrade ended in 2004 you have a valid view. But more specifically I think that Schrade USA manfactured knives ended in 2004. It is hard to say Schrade knives have ended when you can go to a store and find a plethora of patterns on sale there. But that is the difference of opinions and I respect both. For certain in my book I will not recommend anyone to collect what they do not want to collect.

For years I dealt in vintage Schrade knives and no one would touch one that had delrin handles--it was Peachseed bone or nothing. Times do evolve.

I was talking to a friend the other day about the changing habits of knife collectors, not just Schrade knives but others. Case classics were made in the Queen factory, but sold through Parker when he owned Case. Some of the tooling was original Case tooling. So again it is a difference of opinions.

When the Japanese imports came into the US in the 1970's there was a tremendous resistance to collecting those knives--but a quick look at the prices of Parker pearl handled knives or some bones in the older more colorful boxes, or Parker-Frost knives and the fact they are Japanese made is not as important anymore.

I auction knives as a big part of my living--and it is a common thing for a knife collection of otherwise high quality knives to have Taiwan made Rambo knives and other imported limited editions in there as well. And although I don't expect it to happen soon, and whether I like the concept personally or not, I think there is a time coming in the future when China made knives will be a part of knife collecting. They have the quality, they have the price, and to some extent they have some of the legendary names, From Buck to others.

And somewhere down the line I think we will see some Schrade collectors laying a few China made Schrades back as well, for some collectors--certainly not everyone.

I have found that it would be much easier to get a kid started collecting Schrades (or any other brand) but giving him a few inexpensive China made Schrades and letting him build up to the older, more expensive US made stuff.

That is not to take anything away from Imperial Schrade, Schrade Cut., Ulster, or any of the other legendary historic sites of American Cutlery. As a cutlery historian there is absolute magic in towns like Walden and Ellenville (and Bradford, and Little Valley, and Olean, and I've visited them all for that very reason).

Collect what you like to collect. And let everyone else collect what they want to collect. A good knife is a good knife, no matter where it is made.

If we could change the state of the American cutlery industry, if we could restore it to its former glory by everyone stopping buying China imports in cutlery I would be the first to say let's do it. But that is not reality. China makes a darn good knife for the money--and the US factories are having a fit trying to compete, and in many instances are failing.

I'm hope I'm not sounding like I advocate China made knives, because I do not. I do advocate good knives wherever they are made. And in a book on Schrade I would be shortchanging the reader to not include the later chapter of where Schrade is today.

There is nothing wrong with Stewart Taylor buying Schrade. He put his own hard earned bucks on the line. And he was willing to put more of his bucks on the line than anyone else in the room. If someone else had bought Schrade does anyone think the outcome would be any different with Buck, Spyderco, Columbia River, and everyone else expanding into China knives? Whoever bought Schrade would have brought in Schrade knives from China. It was an obvious business choice being made by ALL the major US cutlery manufacturers (except for Case and Bear & Sons to the best of my knowledge) It is not Stewart’s fault that Schrade closed, but sometimes I think from reading this forum that he is perceived that way.
Collect what you like and like what you collect.
Bruce Voyles

TennKnifeman said:
I don't check this thread daily, but I am stopping in a bit more than previously, and I've enjoyed the variety of opinions about what is and isn't a Schrade knife...

Always a pleasure to have you stop by and share your views Mr. Voyles.

TennKnifeman said:
There is nothing wrong with Stewart Taylor buying Schrade... It is not Stewart’s fault that Schrade closed, but sometimes I think from reading this forum that he is perceived that way...

Yes, it is way too convenient for people to put the blame on one person, or company for that matter. I've seen SMKW blamed. People don't realize what an important retail outlet SMKW became for Schrade. Likewise Wal-Mart. Early on, I saw blame for the demise directed at the management within Schrade. And on the everpresent "Chinese Conspiricy". In my own opinion, there were a dozen or more complicating factors that led to the closing. And it would not be any more correct to assign blame for the company's failure to Mr. Taylor, than it would be to any of the companies who bought machinery, or finished knives that October day. Not only is it doing a disservice to those other companies and individuals, it ignores and obscures the true facts of history.

I am a fan and collector of the pre-closing Schrades, and yet I do own examples of some of the first Chinese produced Taylor Schrades. The quality is just not there. I will say that I have not purchased or been given any of the latest production of those patterns to review, but I would be surprised if the quality has not improved since that first production. Again, to me the quality is not the determining factor for me as a collector in deciding what to include in my Schrade collection. The company of origin is. By the way, those imported Taylor Brands knives, I do not consider a part of that collection.

Michael

Codger, I think you hit right smack dab in the middle of that bowl of cherrios again. I couldn't agree with you more. You bring up two excellent points:

1) It will be interesting to see if the Chinese quality ever comes up significantly. A comparison has been made to the old Japanese imports; but I don't know if that is really valid. Two different cultures. The Japanese tend to introduce a lousy to mediocre initial offering and systematically improve it over time. I was living in Hawaii when the very first Honda automobiles came out. They were literally chain driven! They were glorified motorcyles with four wheels and a car body and absolute POS. However, today, Honda makes a pretty well engineered vehicle. Initially, the Japanese imports may have been comparable to the current China knives. Today, some of the higher end factory knives are made from Japanese blades; upper end stainless with excellent workmanship. The same is true with Japanese optics and to some extent, electronics. I don't see this same trend of improvement in the Chinese offerings in any product area. It could be because of the much greater poverty levels and much lower educational levels in China. It could be a cultural issue.

2) You speak of the complexity of Schrade's demise. One issue folks never bring up is that the American knife consumer has largely lost the knowledge necessary to know what constitutes a quality knife. Most Americans don't really use knives and hand tools on a daily basis to the extent they used to. There was a day when most good female homemakers (particulary in rural areas) knew how to sharpen and maintain a set of carbon steel kitchen knives. Today, man or woman, if its sexy and shiny and got the right name on it, its good enough for most. Codger's several comments in this thread on the Camillus forum some time back kinda sum it up:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407973&highlight=split

There aren't that many people anymore who understand steel types, or what annealing or tempering is, or how to sharpen a knife or ax, or what and hand tools are appropriate for what jobs, or for that matter, what the ideal water temperature is to hair a hog. Quality knives are expensive to make. People who don't know the difference aren't going to pay the higher price for them. From a few hills back, one can see that the general dumbing down of the American consumer was a factor in Schrade's demise. Myself, I still like to dig with a shovel, chop with an ax, cut with a knife, and eat with a fork and spoon. Makes me think of that old Merle Haggard song about American in which he asks "Is it over for good"?

For what it's worth, as a new collector, I'm only interested in knives made in the USA. You can call it patriotism, favoritism or a whole host of other things. However, as with most things produced off-shore, as the prices came down, I couldn't help but notice that the quality soon followed, in my small-knowledged opinion. This isn't just with knives but other things. Maybe I'm nostalgic, old-fashioned or just plain dumb but I long for some of the things of yesteryear. I won't buy the stuff produced off-shore but what should I care what anyone wants to call them. If they weren't produced in the USA before the plant closed, I wouldn't personally consider them Schrades but I would never want to push my views on anyone else. Just stamping them with Schrade doesn't make them a Schrade anymore than me walking into McDonalds makes me a Big Mac. Just my opinion.

G'Day Bruce, If it was about the product rather than the Dollars with Mr. Stewart Taylor he may have invested in giving a few of the former redundant experienced Schrade quality control people a paid 2 year contract to China to oversee his new enterprise.
I have accidentally purchased several Chinese Schrades and the quality is appalling.I have a chinese Smith and Wesson 100 year "collectable" with split scales at pins 'mint' from the factory, so it it really about churning out masses of the product without care for quality control which is why I wont buy any more chinese knives....it should not be a lottery when you buy a knife and rarely was with the genuine U.S. Schrade product.
I trust your book will be devoted 99.5% to U.S. Schrade and .5% to where the Chinese Schrade go from here and I will certainly buy it, however if it is simply a sponsored 'soft-sell' by Mr. Taylor I wont. Hoo Roo

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I've posted and I don't know what brought this topic up, but I do have some thoughts on it. First of all, we are not normal knife buyers. I can't begin to tell you the number of men (and boys) I know that don't own even one pocketknife, or if they do, it's more than likely a small SAK that they keep in the glove box of their car or the kitchen utility drawer. The idea that they would buy scores, or hundreds of knives, is something they would never contemplate. Collectors are the salvation of many knife companies today, how many would still be around if it weren't for collectors? How many Buck or Case knives can a man really use?

This forum is about collecting Schrade knives made before the closing of the factories and the end of the company in existence at that time. While the purchase of Chinese-made Schrades would be an anathema to most of us, I don't think that Taylor's ownership of Schrade has any impact on the majority of us here. If Schrade hadn't gone belly-up, I would never have bought the knives I did since their closing. They'd still be in business making the knives they always had and I'd still be ignoring them because I could buy one whenever I felt like it or when I needed one. It's only because the real thing will no longer be available that I bought what I could afford and I'm glad to own some examples of the workmanship of an old and proud American company.

I don't think for a minute that Taylor bought the Schrade name with the expectation of making knives in China and selling them to collectors like us. There is a whole different kind of consumer out there that only wants a knife for occasional use or to throw in the tackle box, without giving any thought as to where it's made, how it's made, or by whom, just how much it costs. That's Taylor's current market.

The future will change everything and the Chinese knives will be the next chapter in the history of the Schrade name. Many other products have a descriptor that signifies a manufacturing change or a perceived difference in the level of quality, such as a pre-64 Winchester or a pre-Garcia Sako. The new Chinese-made knives are Schrades in the eyes of the buying public, but to those of us reading these posts now, those knives will have an asterisk next to their name.

I think the last six posts pretty much summed everything up very well, but I do want to comment on one thing Mr Voyles pointed out that I find absolutely dead on. It IS magical travelling through and living near these old knifemaking towns. My in-laws live in Walden, so I go there regularly, passing by the old sites of three mighty knifemakers on the Wallkill river each time, I can't tell you how inspiring as a collector it is just being in the presence of these sites. Driving through Ellenville and Napanoch brings the same excitement, especially going past the Schrade plant (depressing), and Canal Street Cutlery (hopeful). The most overpowering feeling of all is the urge to become an actual knifemaker, to experience what these thousands of souls experienced, even if it's in my own garage. One day soon I think I'll try my hand at it, I've been doing some research on the subject, and it seems a little daunting, but I'm determined. Of course, not everyone was happy, my wifes uncle worked at Schrade in the sixties I believe as a buffer or grinder. He said he came to dread the constant supply of buckets (his words) of knives being piled up next to him all day, and quit to become a mechanic at the Cadillac dealership in town. Got to know management quite well when they came in to have their cars serviced. Said they were a great bunch who even had knives made and etched for the folks at the dealeship. I think this was at the time the Baers were running the show, but without looking it up I'm not certain. Sorry for the long winded thread hijack!
PS One other thing they told me which kind of gives you a feel of the town back then was that they recalled chasing their three escaped pigs down Canal street and getting half the townspeople to help corral them! One of the guys at the plant fashioned three nose rings, and they never had problems with the pigs again.

Eric

You guys are a credit to the forum, I was thinking of not posting on the forum for a while but when I returned and read this I saw how well this was dealt with and I changed my mind. Ill be around for a while longer yet. For some strange reason I could not help but think of these words when reading the posts, quoted from as follows:

Many of those who were older, who had seen the former temple, wept aloud when they saw the foundation of the new temple being laid, while many others shouted for Joy. No one could distinguish the sound of the shouts of Joy from the sound of weeping, because the people made so much noise. And the sound was heard very far away.

That's good news Timstools, because I think you are a credit to the forum as well. Welcome back, both to you and your camera.

Echo that thawk. I'd hate to see Timstools go. It's no good for anyone to take their ball and go home. Even in the best of situations, its easy to misinterpret someone's post on a forum like this. You don't have the benefit of seeing their facial expressions and all the other subjective communication that you get in person or even over the phone. There are also minor cultural differences even between regions within the same country that can lead to innocent misunderstandings. I met most of my close friends in a fight anyway. I always figured if they had enough gumption to stand their ground on wanted them on my side.

I had an interesting thought the other day. I was discussing with someone the merits of buying an American car. I said I have a Ford and a Buick, (I think one was made in Canada & the other in Mexico, but I am not sure).

Ironically I could buy a Honda or Toyota that is made in a plant here in the USA.

It would be strange to see the cutlery industry follow the automotive industry, and come to the USA and open factories, as Honda & Toyota have.

I realize they are two entirely different industries, with different driving forces behind them, but the thought of Japanese knife companies, or Chinese companies coming to the USA to set up factories made my head spin.

Even as I write this, I realize that Kershaw Knives, originally owned by Pete Kershaw, with the knives made in Japan, was sold several years ago to Kai Cutlery, the Japanese company who used to make his knives for him. Now quite a few of their knives are being made in the USA. I imagine they are SFO from someone like Benchmade, but there you have a Japanese company having their knives made in the USA.

This is enough to make an old fart like me pull out my few remaining hairs, and go back into my workshop and make a knife.........................in my garage...............................here in the USA! :D

I told you I was going to make a knife, here it is.

I didn't make the whole thing, I started with a Camillus TL-29. I used the blade & the back spring. The liners and bolsters I made. As you can see the liners are a lot thicker than the original. I did have a few problems, but it isn't too bad.

I still have some work to do on the blade. It was a used knife & someone had taken a grinder to the blade, so I had quite a bit of work to get it looking as good as it does. I also had problems with my head spinners and with the pivot pin, I had to peen them & that left a mark.

Dale

That's one chunky Barlow, Dale! It looks cool, something my old hands could get a hold of! Good for blade control!

I can see my wife saying "is that a knife in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me:p ?!"! (can I talk like that around here?):confused: :D :D

Back