A good starting Benchmade?

Hello all. I'm still relatively new to knife collecting and am trying to get knives from most of the major manufacturers. So far I've been favoring Spyderco, Kershaw/Zt and Emerson. But I've been wanting a Benchmade now fow a while. I usually favor about 3 1/2 to 4inch blades and no auto's since I can't legally carry them. Any good suggestions?

Griptilian of course!

If you want to spoil yourself right off the bat, buy the 710 in M390!

If you want a good all-around EDC, get a 940!

Contego in cpm-m4 is a goodun
tree.jpg

Last edited:
The Griptillian has been one of the ones I've been looking at the most. I might get the 710,

810, 581, 710 (in M390), Adamas, Rift are my favorites from the Benchmade line, 810 being at the top currently.
IMG_2431.jpg

Don't overlook the 530, it's a great light weight edc. It has a very thin blade, but is more than stout enough as long as you arent trying to pry with it.

Yeah, the Griptillian was my first benchmade. I looove it, it's so smooth, well balanced, super light weight. I'm probably going to get fiance one, too.

I vote for the 943. It's just like the 940, but it has a sharper point.

My first BM was the Griptilian 551. Great 'test the water' knife at a lower price point than others. I just ordered my 4th BM. The Adamas 275

I like the 710 and 940. Either one of those will turn you into a bm fan as soon as you get your paws on it.

Two classics that really speak Benchmade are the 710 and the AFCK. Both are a step up from the grip. M390 steel is probably the best you can do, or maybe M4 if you don't need stainless.

You might also look at the Onslaught, which is a big knife, with a long, wide, thin, pointy-leaf shaped blade that runs just a touch over 4 inches. The blade and edge shoulder are very thin, so it's a slicer. The axis lock is, of course, great. And the full, flat-ground blade uses the Spyder hole. The steel is 154cm, which Benchmade does as well as any production company. With this steel and the thinness of the edge, it's a snap to sharpen.

Knives this large don't usually get a following -- or last long in the manufacturing line-up -- so it's no surprise that it is grossly under-rated.

800 or 805 are really great. Mini Onslaught is another excellent knife I would recommend.

That's an 810 contego. I would recommend going with a 940 to start, since most of the ones in the picture are a bit on the large side. I personally like large folders, so my 940 doesn't really see a lot of carry but I still like it a whole lot. The onslaught is bit more of a niche knife so probably not a great starter piece. The specialty steels are great but probably a bit steep in price to start . I personally didn't much care for the griptillian, because it just didn't feel right to me. If you don't mind zytel handles the grip is a good way to start, otherwise look at the 940.

Back