A knife for a new Marine.

I would recommend some sort of Leatherman or Victorinox Swisstool (original or Spirit), and a good, solid one-hand folder for under $100. As Velitrius already mentioned earlier, things can have a habit of 'growing legs' and disappearing. I've been told that Emerson knives in particular tend to be appropriated at a high rate, but I'm certain that can apply to anything that can be deemed especially 'cool'.

Buck Vantage or Bantam, Rat 1, or Endura 4 (VG-10 steel, saber grind with Combo edge) might be good choices. If choosing the Endura, it might be a good idea to loctite the pocket clip screws beforehand.

Jim

The only blade I was issued in the Army was a bayonet, which never got used for anything but sparring, but I had with me an Imperial Schrade Kamp King owned since Boy Scouts. That got used almost every day. Like others have commented, I agree that a multitool would be the most useful, and also it would be best to present it after basic training when his MOS is established. By then, he will have a better understanding of what kind of knife/tool fits his specialty.

Last edited:
OP can PM me if interested. I have a clean PM2 barely used, s30v steel and digi-camo handles. I would be honored to gift that to a young marine.
OP can PM me if interested. I have a clean PM2 barely used, s30v steel and digi-camo handles. I would be honored to gift that to a young marine.
Maximus83, thanks for the reply and offer. I think I have to be a paid member to pm. I've been meaning to do it anyway so I'll take care of that when I get off work and get home. Then I can pm you. Thanks again

I thought I read somewhere that Marines were issued a Gerber multi tool so I wasn't considering one. But if not that maybe a good choice. He's going to work security at US embassys over seas and he told me he my even be in plain clothes on duty sometimes if that makes a difference for any recommendations.

My son was issued a Gerber multi-tool when he deployed to Iraq. He was a Combat Engineer, and they got the one with the blasting cap crimper. Too bad I bought him one before he left. I did manage to get his back after a time.

I helped transport a young Marine to Quantico MCB for his embassy guard training. For some reason he flew in to Richmond and it's quite a hike to Quantico.

Didn't see my first Leatherman tool until I got out of the military. First thing I thought was "Man, wish I had one of these when I was in the military!" A Leatherman Wingman or Sidekick won't set you back much, and would be useful.

I've read the same thing from the folks who have actually served over and over again in every single thread on this subject that I have ever read.

Nice Leatherman use and take care of, and some "Gerber-level Exchange" folder for him to play with, lose, break, or get stolen.

when and how do these Marines walk off with your knife?

Aren't you supposed to keep it clipped into your pocket at all times?

When does the opportunity come for them to steal your folder? Do you leave clipped to the outside of your backpack? Left in the open?

Please explain to me how this happens because I never served.

I can't really speak for the Marines but in my Army experience, no knives at all until he reaches an actual unit rather than a training group. The military isn't all that knife friendly stateside.

He will not be issued a knife, he will not be able to even have one until he is stationed with his unit, that will be after MCRD, after MCT, after MOS school. You have some time to choose. Multi tool, endura, griptilian. Or something like them would be great.
I was in, my son is in & 2 of his friends are.
Semper Fi.

He will not be issued a knife, he will not be able to even have one until he is stationed with his unit, that will be after MCRD, after MCT, after MOS school. You have some time to choose. Multi tool, endura, griptilian. Or something like them would be great.
I was in, my son is in & 2 of his friends are.
Semper Fi.

I feel like I saw knives at MCT but don't remember for sure.

They were definitely at my schoolhouse. Whether or not they're allowed is probably MOS school command specific.
--------
OP, do you know what his MOS/job will be? That will make a big difference. These are not the days of every Marine needing a Kabar.

We got issued a Ka-Bar. You had to deploy. A good folder or Leatherman Wave would be great. Benchmade Grip combo edge too.

PWatkins PWatkins , please pass on a heartfelt "thank you" for his service.

@Maximus, folks like you are a big part of why I like this community. Offers like yours have inspired me to give away a number of knives, when I see someone with a need and have a spare.

Enjoy

I feel like I saw knives at MCT but don't remember for sure.

They were definitely at my schoolhouse. Whether or not they're allowed is probably MOS school command specific.
--------
OP, do you know what his MOS/job will be? That will make a big difference. These are not the days of every Marine needing a Kabar.
When I was at MCT in 1989 they were allowed, my Son went through last spring then Pensacola. No knives were allowed. I found it odd myself.

Leatherman MUT with a molle pouch would serve him quite well, but is just a bit outside the $100 realm.

Last edited:
Not Marines, but my dad was in the Air Force 22 years and when asked about knives for use on deployments and such he said without a doubt, Leatherman Wave. He’s used his for just about everything. If you’re dead set on a standard folder, I would suggest finding a used Emerson, or perhaps a Spyderco Native 5. The PM2 has a pretty delicate tip that may break if he’s not a experienced or careful knife user. Hope this helps and wish him the best of luck in his service.

I was issued a gerber mp600. He will most likely get issued a multitool as well. I say skip buying the multi tool and get him a push dagger. Small, light, likely to be carried, and mean as hell.

when and how do these Marines walk off with your knife?

Aren't you supposed to keep it clipped into your pocket at all times?

When does the opportunity come for them to steal your folder? Do you leave clipped to the outside of your backpack? Left in the open?

Please explain to me how this happens because I never served.

Because privates are sneaky bastards who will appropriate anything that is not nailed down or too heavy to lift.

I have a Benchmade Griptilian, with an EGA (EAGLE< GLOBE AND ANCHOR) engraved on the blade by Benchmade with my name on the other side of the blade.- Treasured possession- I'm sure he would feel the same, especially given to him upon boot camp graduation. Just an aside if you are not planning to attend his graduation ceremony- rethink it- it's really special when family attend.

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks to maximus83's great generosity our new Marine has a digi cam pm2 in bound. I'm getting him a new leatherman multi tool ( probably a wave) to go with it.He should be good to go with this combo. Ill post some pics of him with them when he graduates in February.

I'd like to get the USMC emblem etched on the blade and maybe his graduation date.
Where would you recommend for this?

Thanks again maximus83!!!!

I have a Benchmade Griptilian, with an EGA (EAGLE< GLOBE AND ANCHOR) engraved on the blade by Benchmade with my name on the other side of the blade.- Treasured possession- I'm sure he would feel the same, especially given to him upon boot camp graduation. Just an aside if you are not planning to attend his graduation ceremony- rethink it- it's really special when family attend.
Thanks, I definitely planned on going.

Back