1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A knife for my military son

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Steven Jealouse, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Steven Jealouse

Steven Jealouse

Apr 22, 2018
    Hello all,
    My son is about to commission into the US Army as a Field Artillery Officer and Id like to buy him a knife as a present when he graduates. Something durable and useful for when he is in the field and the day he eventually deploys. I know little about knives but I am thinking of some sort of fixed blade given its inherent strength? Should it be a multi purpose knife that can do anything, or should it be more focused and then he have a folder for smaller tasks?
    Im open to advice. If im going down the wrong track let me know.

anthonycastorena2014 likes this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I think a decent fixed blade and a Leatherman multitool would be a good choice.

bladefire, mt666tm, Tommy-Chi and 4 others like this.
  3. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Hello Steven, I thank your Son for his Service!!..... For starters, what kind of budget will help with the suggestions? $100.00 total, $200 tops for both?? Please Advise...

Charlie Mike likes this.
  4. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    I would say a good Leatherman (I like the Rebar) will serve him quite well. A 4-6” fixed blade would compliment that. Although it depends on what he will be doing as to how much use it would see. I’m sure the Leatherman will get well worn either way. :thumbsup:

Mr.SATism and LG&M like this.
  5. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

Dec 13, 2017
    I think this is a great idea.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  6. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    A agree a Leatherman is a fine choice.
    As for a fixed blade a esee 3 is likely the most knife he will need and won't add the already heavy load.
    Thank him for his service .

7. Steven Jealouse

Steven Jealouse

Apr 22, 2018
    Yeah $200 would be maxing out my budget. And regarding what he would be using the knife for, maybe there are some vets on here that can give some insight. But the Leatherman is definitely a good idea.

Rhinoknives1 likes this.
  8. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp The Looking Edge Sharpening Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 30, 2016
    Get him a multi-tool, Leatherman is good, where the pliers and the blade can be deployed with one hand.

9. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    They actually make a Leatherman tool designed for cleaning and maintenance of m16/m4 type rifles. There probably is not a better tool for someone going into the military. Most times I hear they just end up leaving the fixed blades behind because either they are too bulky and heavy for not enough use benefit or they have a commander who will not allow them to take them with them.

The tool is called the Leatherman MUT
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  10. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    ^A Leatherman MUT my brother got me when I enlisted was the only thing that I always carried when I was in the military (folder rotated). Definitely a nice choice.

Edit: Never carried or needed a fixed blade. The Benchmade tomahawk thing my brother also got me never got used/carried either :p

11. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Cold steel Recon Scout would be my recommendation. It's awesome, easy to sharpen, and hopefully, he would never face the situation, extremely tactical without being too heavy. You will also have left over funds to purchase him a multi tool. I suggest the one @Lapedog suggested. Please thank your son for his service from all of us.

Mr.SATism, Lapedog and Charlie Mike like this.
  12. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    Steven, The Leatherman idea from these gents is something that would really see use & be cherished.. I didnt serve but I have friends that did & I’ve talked with more Vets than I can count about their use of knives in the field , Me making a knife for them, Etc...—————————————————/-/-Most times, Knives are used for cutting some rope, digging a hole, Whitting out of boredom & other Utility functions. As an Artillery Officer he’ll do even less of those things.. My 2 cents is a Leatherman & a nice 2-4 bladed Swiss Army for his pocket.. Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    dalefuller and Lapedog like this.
  13. cricketdave

cricketdave Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2008
    The leatherman Mutt and a good folder will get a lot more use than a fixed blade, something he won't be broken hearted if its gets lost too. I gave my daughter a custom fixed blade when she commissioned but she's a collector and I doubt it will go with her when she deploys. On the other hand a solid folder and multi tool will be used a lot. Benchmade has a strong presence in all of the clothing sales stores on posts and often has reps come out and do blade engraving which is nice to be able to identify your knife.

Rhinoknives1 likes this.
  14. Jocephus1

Jocephus1

May 30, 2007
    depending on what the garrison commander says, a fixed blade knife may not be an option if he/she doesn’t allow it.

Truth be told. In my 22 years active duty, a good EDC has far more use.

I suggest something with a steel that is easy to sharpen. Many of today’s modern super steels are such a PITA to sharpen (especially on deployment) I wouldn’t recommend it.

15. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    Swiss army soldier.

jackknife likes this.
  16. ROCK6

ROCK6 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2004
    This is a consideration. Since he's Artillery, he will likely be stationed at any number of installations more suited to maneuver units and likely less draconian on fixed blades. I was able to carry a 5" fixed blade in Texas (Fort Hood, Fort Bliss, Joint-Base San-Antonio). I was only able to carry a smaller 3-3.5" fixed blade at Joint Base Lewis-McCord; Fort Benning, and Fort Gordon, GA. Much depends on the Garrison Commander's policies and the actual Unit's policies; again, combat arms are much more lenient. I carried a fixed blade throughout my 30-year career, including some higher-echelon commands.

If you're considering a fixed blade, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend something like the ESEE 3. It will work around most knife-policies on the majority of installations, carries well under the ACU shirt, is not cumbersome, lies flat, and is easily accessible. Carbon steel maintenance was never a concern even in the jungles of South America.

A multitool is another good addition/consideration. I like the MUT, but it's a big multitool. I've reserved mine to my plate carrier here in Afghanistan. For belt-mounted, I like the Victorinox Spirit multitool. For pocket carry, I really like the Leatherman Wingman or Sidekick; excellent multitools for the price. The MUT is heavy duty and an excellent field multitool; any of them would be a great gift.

A pocket folder/EDC is kind of tough. My son met Ernie Emerson at the Blade Show when he was 12 years old and has been a fan of Emerson knives since. He's in a university ROTC program as a Freshmen in college right now, but joined the National Guard and went through Basic and AIT at Fort Benning (Enlisted Infantry). For his graduation gift, I gave him the Emerson Rangemaster Sheepdog folder along with the Sheepdog poem...he couldn't have been happier and I couldn't have been more proud. Congrats to both your and your son. Military service is a serious commitment and sacrifice and I wouldn't have traded those 30 years for anything...

ROCK6

17. snooka

snooka

Jun 1, 2013
    Ontario Rat 1

buckfynn likes this.
  18. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    My father was also an artillery officer in the early 60s. When I was attached to a unit that frequently deployed, I was issued a Leatherman. I still have my 1992 Leatherman 'Tool'. It is still in excellent shape. I would think the artillery guys would need these to do their jobs, and would get a multitool issued, as well. I would check. In addition to a larger knife, he will definately need a small/medium folder. I like the Swiss Army knives with the toothpick/tweezers/scissors. Supertinker- $32, Classic- $13.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  19. Armen

Armen

Apr 20, 2018
    As others have said I think he would benefit most from a Multitool. You may want to look into a Leatherman Wave+. It costs around a $100.00.

[​IMG]

Swampdog likes this.
  20. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    I carried a Microtech D/A Socom as an infantryman in Mosul 03-04.