A knife for my military son

Multitool + a nice folder THAT HAS HIS NAME ON IT. #1, that makes it a more personalized gift, but #2 is that nice items can grow legs and wander off, so having it clearly marked helps avoid such issues. Something like a spyderco paramilitary with his name etched on the handle

Don't get him a fixed blade unless he is a enthusiast like we are. They are too big and bulky to take along. I would recommend a benchmade 710.

I'd recommend a Leatherman Surge because it can be fitted with a metalsaw. Or a Victorinox Swisstool because they're (imo) better made and way nicer to use than leatherman.
As for a knife: it's tough; I recently got a Benchmade Mini-Loco and I think it could certainly hold up (Or the normal Loco); on the other hand it weighs a lot so maybe more something along the lines of a ZDP Delica. If you want to get a fixed blade I'd take a look at Whiteriver Knives.

this knife impresses me.

NU1Cp8B.jpg

fEaKPGy.jpg

BSrWyZW.jpg

MlY0YpP.jpg
[/QUOTE]

When I was in I usually did not have much use for a fixed blade knife, unless I were building a shelter of some sort. I would get a Cold Steel SRK if I were getting a fixed blade, however.

I would rather like to recommend that you get him something he can put in his pocket. I think a Leatherman multi-tool paired with 1] Spyderco Manix 2 2] Spyderco Manix 2 back lock (my preference) 3] Spyderco Manix 2 Light Weight (he will have a lot of gear so weight is an issue) or 4] Cold Steel Recon.

Leatherman is the best all around choice. I give them to men and women when they leave home for the first time. For an all purpose knife, a folder is the best. The Spyderco Delica or Endura are prove performers, the same basic knife, but the Delica being about 3" blade and the Endura 3 3/4" .

I’ve always recommended and carried a good fixed blade with a 3.5-5” blade along with a few folders. Plenty of good options out there and many are well within your budget. I saw Esee recommended and wholeheartedly agree as they’re within your price range, well made, good warranty and easy to maintain.
You also can’t go wrong with a good multi-tool and while I’m not a fan of Leatherman many like them. I’ve carried the same SwissTool since I picked it up in ‘98-99 timeframe and never had a single issue with it unlike Gerber and Leatherman. YMMV
I was in the Army for 21 years and carried what I wanted without ever having any issues with the command. Hell, most of them carried something too.

So he will most likely get to purchase a multi-tool through his unit when he checks in. They are pretty regularly supplied to people. I would suggest a quality folder, like a ZT, Benchmade, or CS Recon 1 and a good fixed blade, like a SRK. I carried the SRK and a Spyderco Native, but a beefier folder would have been preferred. I also second the idea of engraving whatever you get him. If I had to prioritize for you, Hard Use Folder first, then a fixed blade. He will use the folder 99% of time.

He will probably be issued a multitool. Considering his job, he'll be around tools all day.

If he's deployed, the knife will likely get stolen. I'll consider something under $125. Cold Steel Recon 1 maybe. I'd go with the tan one to match the outfit. Tanto or spear point.

I did three tours in the sandbox. Don't waste your money on a multi tool. If he deploys he'll get one issued. He'll also get a tool for cutting harness straps, and a pile of other stuff that's (mostly) going to sit in his field locker of duffel bag. A fixed blade probably won't get used either. A good, solid, "tactical" lockback will get a lot more use. Something from Cold Steel or Spyderco will be more than adequate. Get it with a clip or drop point blade, he wants something to cut with (not stab, pry, or baton). 3.5" -4"; anything else is too big to carry comfortably. Not too heavy, but not the lightweight models.

Me, the last two times I left pretty much everything at home and carried a three blade slipjoint. It got a heck of a lot of use. Skinny, slim blades that cuts like a razor, sharp points for digging out splinters and thorns, sharpens pencils and little poky sticks, etc. That's the working knife...

Here are the knives I used the last two tours:

yo8Dpfp.jpg

zZLhN2y.jpg

mOMFote.jpg

and a fixed blade I kept around, just in case...
z2vSIYe.jpg

Multi purpose, great ROI knives...
Cold Steel SRK (they have a new low-cost SK-5 version)
or
Gerber StrongArm (serrations are an option that might be useful for your son)

Both can be replaced for $50 if lost, broken, or otherwise walk off.

Hello S Steven Jealouse , I've never served, but my best friend (he was my best man and I was his at our respective weddings) was an artillery officer, like your son, and I gave him a few knives while he was serving.

The first knife I gave him was actually a very inexpensive Sanrenmu 710 that I gave him right before his first deployment because he didn't have a decent knife of his own to take. The Sanrenmu is very inexpensive (and some people dislike how strongly they... borrow from the Sebenza, but no one is ever going to confuse the two knives), but it is solid and I have given a number of them away as gifts (since they are so cheap they are easy to add on to an order to have around as a gifting knife), and everyone I have given one to has loved it. My friend the artillery officer was no different. He carried it through his first deployment, and it served him very well. If this was now I would have had fancier knives to give him, but at the time the Sanrenmu was the best I could do.

Because he was an officer, like your son, there really wasn't any problem with him having/carrying as appropriate a fixed blade while deployed. So for his second deployment (I had just gotten a nice check for a bit of writing) I got him a very nice Spartan Harsey Model II (well out of your price range, and discontinued in any case). It was really more of a something-really-cool-to-carry kind of gift, and he helped me pick it (out of options I offered him). It really wasn't something that an artillery officer has much use for unless things have completely gone disastrous, but he said it actually got a surprising amount of use opening recalcitrant boxes.

He never lacked for decent multitools (those got issued), and the fixed blade was really just for fun, but the decent folding knife was really the thing that was the most use to him the most often, while at home or abroad. So my advice is to give him a good solid folding knife, preferably with a good steel. I also like to push US made products. And since ACUs have flaps on the back pockets, I think it is best to give tip-up carry knives for safety (I personally prefer tip-down, but I wear jeans and prefer back pocket carry), so that the tip would open into a seam if it opened in the pocket.

So, if I were you, I would look for a good quality (but not too flashy), USA made, tip-up carry, modern folder. There are a lot of great options in your price range. The two that pop into my head right this moment are both special editions of Buck knives offered by (BladeForums supporting vendor) @skblades. If you go to his site (I assume it is okay to link directly since he is a supporting vendor? https://www.skblades.com/shop) he has a couple options I think would be great for your son, particularly the "Maverick" and the "Operator."

But you have a lot of good options suggested already. Good luck, and the best to your son. I am sure you are feeling very proud :)

ESEE three or RAT 3 with the TKC extended scales,makes the handle just a little longer but feels like a different knife in hand.

A SAK Pioneer (I would regard this as an essential piece of kit).
A Mora Companion (just in case he needs a fixed blade sometime).
A good Multi-tool (in case he does not get issued one)

Engrave his name somewhere on ALL the knives (or just one if you only give him one) , as things DO get lost or stolen , sad but true.

Best wishes to your son.

I currently serve as an active duty Field Artillery Officer, your son will get the most use out of a Leatherman. Right now I carry a Leatherman Wave black oxide but I recommend the new Wave Plus model in black oxide (mostly due to rust resistance, and it has replaceable wire cutters) I’ve used the blades to cut cardboard, 100MPH tape, 550 cord, MREs, camo nets, ETC. I’ve used the saw to cut pieces of wood to make “field tables” to use for maps, the pliers and screw drivers to fix radios and radio mounts. Even the tiny screw drivers and wire cutters have come into play. It’s the ultimate tool for anything that may arise as far as basic field craft goes and even served me well in Junge School. They usually come with a MOLLE sheath to mount on a vest or belt as well and you have the option to add additional driver bits (I’ve been fine with the given two.) I would also recommend the engravings with his last name, first letter of his first name (Smith, J.), multitools often go missing...while the Leatherman MUT does give him the options of having cleaning tools on him, every exercise he ever goes on will require him to bring along his issued weapon cleaning kit. This cleaning kit may include a Gerber Multitool, while it may be adequate for very basic use, the Leatherman wil give him more versatility and always having a multitool is one of those subtle things that shows an officer is always prepared.

For fixed blades, depending on the amount of gear I’m carrying I rotate between an ESEE 3, 4, Izula 1 or 2. They have great versatility in being able to be mounted horizontally on a chest rig or vertically on a leg. I have not had any issues with blade length in my unit.

If you’re thinking about a folder the ZT 0350 in Blackwash is a good choice as well.

Last edited:
Back