A knife you bought that really suprised you

Para 2 - I also finally bought one due to the "hype", and it really didn't click for me right away, but after giving it a chance and handling it a bit, it has become one of my favorite EDCs.

Another one that I thought I would like, but had no idea how MUCH I would like it is the Spyderco PPT. The ergos on that knife just work for me, and it is a pretty capable carry.

For my off time EDC, I alternate between the PM2 and the PPT ... both great knives.

~ Edge

Man, a couple mentions of the Para 2 already... nice to see the skeptics being won over :D

sage 1. I'm always mentioning that knife and not at all trying to push it on anyone, it is just that nice. I had about a dozen production knives waiting at the house after my last time on the road and the sage 1 blew them all away. dragonfly g10, skyline, baby boa, PM2, etc. All new and not as nice as the sage 1 was.

sage 1. I'm always mentioning that knife and not at all trying to push it on anyone, it is just that nice. I had about a dozen production knives waiting at the house after my last time on the road and the sage 1 blew them all away. dragonfly g10, skyline, baby boa, PM2, etc. All new and not as nice as the sage 1 was.

I had a Sage 1 for a little bit, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get used to the carbon fiber. I don't know what it was about it, but I just couldn't get into it. It's a great knife, though... rock solid lockup, nicely shaped blade, etc.

I had a Sage 1 for a little bit, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get used to the carbon fiber. I don't know what it was about it, but I just couldn't get into it. It's a great knife, though... rock solid lockup, nicely shaped blade, etc.

I can see that, its definitely different feel. Maybe thats why I liked it and why I've since ordered a caly also.

Spyderco Para 2. After seeing all the rave I bought one and was initially feeling iffy about its durability because of how light and seemingly fragile it looked/felt. Once I started using it all of my doubts went away. I've had some pretty badass knives and by far if I had to choose one EDC and only one, it would be the para 2.

+1 here. It also struck me as nice but a bit underwhelming and generic looking in all those online photos I saw. But when I had it in hand..... wow! Smittennnn...

The mora companion...I don't like the look, wish the blade was wider, but its my go to knife for anything outdoors and gets plenty of kitchen use as well.

I agree on a few of the other knives mentioned above that I own...but the Mora companion is my answer to the OPs question.

been surprised by many... sanrenmu 710, enlan el-02, blackjack grunt, ontario rat-1...but the one that takes the cake was a cheap no brand assisted I picked on vacations back in '09 when I forgot to pack a knife in my bag. Bought it for 4 bucks as it was the only pocket knife with a clip at the hardware store, turned out to be an a/o framelock leek knockoff, but did everything I asked of it. I etched it when I got back home to conmemorate the most excellent vacations I had in years.

I can see that, its definitely different feel. Maybe thats why I liked it and why I've since ordered a caly also.

Yeah, I suppose carbon fiber is kinda a love-it-or-hate-it material. I much prefer G10, which is the only thing holding me back on the Caly III. It looks like a fantastic EDC blade, you'll have to let us know how it is! I haven't gotten to handle one yet.

Mine would have to be a Cold Steel Finn Bear. I got it free from a dealer on ebay who forgot to ship my package. He threw it in for free. My first thought was "What is this CS garbage?" but after handling it a little while I was amazed at how comfortable it was in the hand. I didn't get to use it much because my wife fell in love with it and won't give it back. Last I saw it wa somewhere in her car. Only CS knife I ever had that was worth a damn.

Les George VECP - I knew it was a pricey mid-tech when I decided to pursue one and Les has a stellar reputation as a knifemaker but the VECP surpassed even what I expected from it.

It is one of the best functioning knives I have ever used, hands down. It may not be sexy (subjective of course) but everything about the way it operates is top shelf and it probably kicks a lot of full on customs to the curb. The pivot action feels almost like a bearing system but isn't. The lockup is ROCK solid while the lockbar releases as smooth as a baby's butt. The fit and finish is superb. This is truly a one handed folder that takes no effort to operate. Plus you get CTS-XHP, a very nice EDC blade steel by most accounts, including mine :D

Last edited:
Cold Steel Vaquero Grande. I originally purchased it as a self defense blade, but ended up turning it into an EDC and used it for everything from chores, to clearing light brush, to slicing bread, to using at BBQs. Liked it so much I wore it out, then nearly wore out another and kept a third LNIB in reserve because they were reasonably cheap on clearance. This style of knife was my EDC for about 10 years.

kershaw oso sweet. i was looking for a 3" blade and this one is surprisingly perfect for me. flipper, fast and fun a/o, very solid liner lock, ugly but very functional clip- my new edc:)

kershaw oso sweet. i was looking for a 3" blade and this one is surprisingly perfect for me. flipper, fast and fun a/o, very solid liner lock, ugly but very functional clip- my new edc:)

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Oso Sweet lately, I'm getting curious

+1 on the oso sweet, 20$ well spent

$10 Mora with the cheesy plastic sheath. First got it and laughed at it. (the look, the colors, etc.) But it clips onto a pocket and go. Knife sharpens is a heart beat.
Slices great. Tough little bugger too. Also a good fishing knife, just wash everything right out the whole in the bottom of the sheath. And for $10 bucks ? Are you kidding ?! (LOL)

Last edited:
Paramilitary 2. After reading all the hype, I went to the knife shop to check one out. I didn't like it at all, but figured I'd buy it and check it out, then probably sell it. It has become my most carried knife.

I ordered a new Case Trapper last year, the least-expensive one they offer. I knew it was a good design, but I bought it mainly to examine the mechanics of it, not expecting a whole lot in terms of F&F. But it's actually a very well-made knife. :thumbup:

Back