A knife you bought that really suprised you

has nothing to do with lock failure and cutting performance is a little worse on the rat 1 and lawman. However, in terms of ease of sharpening, durability and overall toughness. I"m not kidding I think I could literally put one of my Buck Mayo TNT in a vice and baton the lawman through the handle and then without question snap or break the s30v blade. There is something that just doesn't sit right with me when I think about that. I feel as if I tried the reverse the blade on that Mayo TNT would shatter in about 10 pieces and render the knife effectively worthless. In either case though the lawman would probably be not much worse for wear.

Understand I know the difference between the quality of materials like comparing S30V or CPM 154 CM to AUS and AUS 8 and G10 or N6 over cheap stainless liners to solid slabs of titanium, etc. and yes my Buck Mayo's are cutting machines I clean ducks faster with that knife than with any other knife period. Same goes for skinning a deer but what you get for your money and just what you get period with the lawman and rat 1 is simply outstanding in terms of durability or longevity and overall toughness. I can tell you this I think my lawman and rat 1 will still be in service long after the Buck Mayo's economic or service life has expired. I can't prove that yet, but I'm working on it and will let you know.

An example, the other day I was cutting sections of garden hose for my dad's garden, I cut several with a Buck Mayo TNT and I was nervous thinking if I twist that blade just a little that thick rubber hose is going to snap that blade like a dry twig. So I cut slow and was very careful. Then I got the rat 1 out of my truck and just sliced away like nobodies business with no worries. Now it took a little more effort or pressure to cut the hose but it did and made clean cuts not as well as the Mayo but I didn't have to worry about the blade snapping and taking my time. Rat 1 is AUS 8 which is tough, the blade is thicker and its a full flat grind as opposed to the thin blade high hollow grind of the Buck Mayo.

The Gerber Paraframe 2. I've modded it a little bit, taking out the thumb studs and using zip ties to rig up a system that mimics two thumb studs and a wave feature. For 25 bucks, it's a really decent frame lock, even though it's made by a generally sub-par company. The steel is okay, but a little soft, and the serrations came with chips already in them, but it's done a lot of work and is pretty easy to open.

Back