A little annoyed with what I saw on instagram

Yeah, I just now learned how to operate on this forum. I tend to stay away from sites like that for this very reason. It depresses me to know just how gullible people are. But it does prove one thing, the members here on BF know about good quality knives, how to get the best bang fo the buck.
When the zombie apocalypse hits, it’s the BF folks that will survive :p. When the instagrammers are being demolished and the BFer’s are kicking ass and taking names, they’ll know who to follow then. ;)

Social media is best used compartmentalized. Follow ONLY the people that you wish to interact with and block everyone else. My view of social media:

Blade Forums: The great unwashed for opinions on knives and steel
Spyderco Forums: For chatter abt Spydercos only
Facebook: Follow family and martial arts instructors
Instagram: Follow knife retailers, manufacturers and bladesmiths
GAB: Politics, where you cannot be thrown off for cussing up a storm

There’s tons of Instagram accounts posting knockoff knife and cheap Bud K type “tactical” edged tools. I just chuckle, give it a little scroll through, show a couple of my knife buddies For their entertainment and move along.

LOL you know he's watchin 'Cut-Larry Coroner' every night it's on! Gettin the good stuff! I'm dyin.

Social media is best used compartmentalized. Follow ONLY the people that you wish to interact with and block everyone else. My view of social media:

Blade Forums: The great unwashed for opinions on knives and steel
Spyderco Forums: For chatter abt Spydercos only
Facebook: Follow family and martial arts instructors
Instagram: Follow knife retailers, manufacturers and bladesmiths
GAB: Politics, where you cannot be thrown off for cussing up a storm

I take the same basic approach. I use social media for information streams, rather than social broadcasting. Knifemakers on IG, Twitter = the UFC page and 25 or so academics for links to research papers and articles, etc.

Bit of a rant and rave, but I was browsing around Instagram on the browse/search tab. I stumbled upon a knife someone was showing off that looked like a cheap knockoff clone of a zt 0055 (because it was), and I decided to check out the guy that posted it. Looked at his profile, 2200-ish posts, around 1000 of those posts were of cheap Chinese knock offs and gas station knives that he owned and was showing off, and that everyone that follows him seems to love. The kicker? 122,000 followers. 122k followers blinding following and liking someone who is buying a bunch of cheap $20-$30 chinese clones and knock offs. Compare that to nick Shabazz whom only has 15,000, even the brand ZT had less followers than this guy. I'm about sick with what I just looked at and discovered. How is this even possible? It is one thing if you're on a budget or like cheap knives, but I mean, he is posting new knives he bought almost daily, I just....I'll stop.
Yeah. It is really sad how ignorant people are. Every one of those people has probably never had a chance to handle a true quality knife. Even If they did unfortunately they would probably think it was overpriced and did not look cool without a zombie skull pattern. Its our job as knife nuts to show people what a true quality knife is. The trick is to start gradually and at a low enough price point that it doesn't turn them away in outrage.

Same thing. Screw social media. Bladeforums IS my social media.

I don’t need ex girlfriends and people who I should have known better than to hang out with contacting me on a platform where my mom can see.

Besides facebook is for grandmas at this point.

I live in a rural town and every guy between 20-90 carries a knife. I'm always checkin out peoples pocket clips. My mechanic who owns the shop carries a benchmade. I've seen a kershaw leek and a few crkts. But for the vast majority, it's gas station knives. Most people have no idea what is available.

I take the same basic approach. I use social media for information streams, rather than social broadcasting. Knifemakers on IG, Twitter = the UFC page and 25 or so academics for links to research papers and articles, etc.

I use Twitter for approx 20 web profiles, but I don't log in. Too much arguing. Also!!!! The best part is there are no ads.

Just quit beeing on social media which is the cancer of our time. Or never get on to it in the first place like me.
Start focusing on your own life and don't care what others might do, what others might (seem to) have, what others might have achived and live your own life.

Just a general advice.

Last edited:
I’ve found that if you browse social media long enough you will eventually always come across something that annoys/pisses you off. That’s why most of my browsing is on Bladeforums:thumbsup:

Question:
What is "Instagram"?
Isn't it just another worthless, meaningless "Social Networking" site, like Facebook?
Isn't it full of loosers with no real life friends, and who need to put down everyone to "feel good" about themselves, and show (among other things) their stupidity talking about things they have no knowledge of as if they are "experts" on the subject? Spread lies as "truth", and hatred and ridicule against those who have the gall to disagree with them or worse, call them out on their lies?

Soooo....kind of like you're doing right now? That sort of "put down everyone down to feel good about themselves" or nah? Plenty of cool people on Instagram, if you look. Certainly, plenty of members here have Instagram feeds for their knife photography. Are they "loosers"?

Also, when calling others losers, it might help to spell it correctly.

Back