A new project started.

Scott Hanson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Starting two more Randall replicas, I got two blades rough ground and just about ready to stamp. After this I have two more orders for this replica knife to fill, then I'll be just about cleaned out of decent crowns. I don't know how many more of these I'll be making after this, finding quality crowns is getting difficult. Some of the really nice stag crowns guys are asking $300.00 for. I've been looking on and off but I haven't seen much available lately.
IMG_3508.jpeg

Things been a little slow going between work, spending quality time with my family and the weather but I've managed to make some progress the knives. just have to fit the crowns and have them heat treated.B82E57D5-900D-43E9-8A27-9536E3CFE9B4_1_201_a.jpeg

Looking good so far. I'll be watching this thread.
Thank you, I have a few days off and I'll get the handles fit and the blades off to the heat treater. It's AEB-L and I have them heat treated with cryo to HRc-60-61 they still have really good toughness. I'm getting really good performance with this steel, I made a couple of Santoku knives out of AEB-L about a year ago and had them heat treated to HRc-62. I use it just about every day and have only touched it lightly on a steel one time and it's still good and sharp.

Gorgeous. As to the AEB-L, the santuko you made me gets used nearly every day and it slices veggies so cleanly they don't even know they've been cut.

Gorgeous. As to the AEB-L, the santuko you made me gets used nearly every day and it slices veggies so cleanly they don't even know they've been cut.
Yep, I only lightly touched mine on a steel one time since I made it and it hasn't needed anything since. I want to start making chef style knives when I get caught up on orders.

Great idea. With your grinds and heat treat on EAB-L, chef's knives will be perfect.

Ready for heat treat tomorrow, I have a head knife blade and a few other pieces of AEB-L I'm having heat treated also. The head knife blade is kind of an experiment from a WIP Tim Steingass did a while back with some input from Paul Long. It is 0.040 AEB-L that will heat treated with sub-zero quench to around HRc-62. If I like the way it cuts I'll mount the blade in a more permanent handle. EE34FB7C-94CA-4354-9A55-5C5878ECBEC8_1_201_a.jpegF412A6F5-7852-41E4-B5EA-EC2F6EFE7E1A_1_201_a.jpeg9D099C66-D01A-43E8-9962-0C1CD5AA62E7_1_201_a.jpegF776687E-DE45-470B-A020-1AB2C2AC3994_1_201_a.jpeg

Blades are back from the heat treater, HRc 61-61 with subzero quench. The knives have the guards soldered on, and the handles glued pinned and rough ground to shape. Just have to finish them up make the sheaths and get them out the door to the costumers. I also got a chance to play with the new head knife, I think it's going to be the cats whiskers for making long straight or slightly curved cuts.
IMG_3676.jpeg IMG_3680.jpeg IMG_3679.jpeg IMG_3677.jpeg

Yep, I only lightly touched mine on a steel one time since I made it and it hasn't needed anything since. I want to start making chef style knives when I get caught up on orders.
Hmmm we may have to talk. ;)

Knives are finished, now time to start on the sheaths.
IMG_3684.jpeg IMG_3683.jpeg IMG_3682.jpeg

These are dyed Sambar stag crowns from Culpeppers , I had to switch to them because finding elk crowns has become difficult, I do like the color of them though.
IMG_3687.jpeg

Back