A new project started.

Gorgeous as usual! But I haz a question: the handles seem to flare quite a bit as they join up to the guards, more so than your others that I've seen. Curious why?

Gorgeous as usual! But I haz a question: the handles seem to flare quite a bit as they join up to the guards, more so than your others that I've seen. Curious why?

Yes, and good question, I'll be happy to answer. I have never seen the original knife in person, I made all of the previous replicas from photos I could find on line and in Sheldon's book. It wasn't until a year and a half or two years ago that I acquired high quality photos, from the current owner of the original knife Arthur Green, with straight on view and a ruler laid next to them that I really started taking note of the flare before the guard myself. The blades are all made from the same template that I made and the spacer pattern has been standardized with as close as I can figure G-10 and various nickel, copper and brass spacers. The wild card left is finding the right size and shape crown, that has been a challenge lately, and crowns have be getting pretty expensive lately, I've seen some they wanted $300.00 for.

This is one of the photos I got from Arthur Green that I modeled these two replicas from. So yes, there is quite a notable flare toward the guard.

IMG_3907 copy.jpeg

^Great example of one of the many reasons why Scott is my favorite Maker. Besides being a good dude, he's also one of the most professional and detailed guys I know.

Back