A non-Strider question

I know this does not belong here, but I want y'alls opinion...I'm in the market for a 1911 and was wondering who here shoots them, and who prefers what (productions, like Colt, Kimber, Springfield...)
I've checked the firearms forums, but actually value y'alls opinion more.
thanks in advance,
cheers,
Derek

Well, what I prefer is Briley, but at $2000 for a pistol, I am still saving. Kimbers are good and the Springfields are awesome. Colts are decent but most of the ones I have seen are a little high for the features. Might want to look at STI and Wilson. Les Bauer is awesome, he makes some of the smoothest actions and trigger jobs.

Best bet is to go to the local dealer and handle some.
Good luck,
Reed

last 2 colts I had (91A1's-one gov and one commanders) had the slot for the firing pin stop cut too much and it would slip out during firing...making the weapon unreliable. i don' care what it looks like, or what bells and whistles it has...it's just gotta work. If I try another colt, it'll be one of the levels above the 91a1.
I am most curious about springfields and kimbers-I hear great things and bad things about both.
thanks,
Derek

Hi Derek,

If you want a full size 1911 then you have to decide whether or not you want all the bells and whistles or Milspec. For Milspec, full size, then go with an original WWII issue. I have a Rem Rand thats very common and works like a dream. If you want something Hot Rodded, then I suggest you check out Les Baer, or a Wilson Combat CQB. Very pricey though. There are tons of odds and mods out there. I would be carefull with aluminum framed 1911's. The Springfields are Nice, the Kimbers are very popular. The new Colts are great Guns but a little shy on the quality/finish side. For compacts; The Colt defender is very nice. If moneys no object, then check out Les Baer.
I like to keep them simple.

Strider Knife Content: I wonder what the most popular Strider/Handgun combo is? I have an HK P7 and an MT.
1911? HK? Sig?

Hope this helps...IMHO

"In an emergency I don't call 911, I call 1911."

Cheers,

Hal

well, this weekend I'm traveling...so it's a glock 17, w/ light and 3 mags of gold dots and a DB.
I'm looking to trade in that faulty colt...wilson and les are out of my range...I'm trying to stay under $700 (or colt +$400)
I shoot alot of sigs, glocks and HK's, but there is something about that 1911...it just works.
cheers,
Derek

Ohhhhh.. the P7 is my dream gun! I love that squeeze cocker. Then again, since we're talking .45, the Sig P220 is a nice beast of a pistol. :D

Check out the Wilson Combat CQB, i have one and love it. It is expensive but worth the price. Best handgun i have ever bought and i have had quite a few thru my hands in the past.

The Series 70 Colt's don't have the firing pin stops and are still around, but are becoming pricey as well. Check out the basic 1911A1's
from WWII. They work and work and then some. Also I'm sure you know that Colt has reissued "supposedly" exact copys of the 1911A1 as well.
They're expensive but people are raving about them. I also have 1991A1 compact which I like alot, but with most Colt's, it needs a few hundred worth of mod's to be perfect. 1911 forum seems to be good source for the Kimber/Springfield debates.

Cheers,

Hal

Chris,

For entries - The new Springfield "Operator" good value for the money

For competition - STI

For compact carry - Wilson CQB

Kimbers are always a good buy.

Derek

I've owned Colts and Kimbers. Of the two, I prefered the Kimbers.

I actually have been taking sideward glances at the Springfield "Operators" when I see them at shows.

But there again, it'd be a play gun. You, of all people know I'm a Glock guy. :D

John

1911s ... call John Jardine @ (510) 489-8477

If you want a full blown gun a Baer, Wilson etc. will not even come close :eek:

If your budget isn't so lofty then I'd recommend the Valtro .45
$1199 call John and talk to him for a bit :)

Many more expensive guns can't hold a candle to it, and if you want something a little different on the Valtro like a magwell or hardchrome you'll get a good price from John ... Duane and Tom Mayo got to see some of John's work so maybe they'll let people know what their impressions were.

Swenson was his uncle :D

Attachments

• valtro-camo002b.jpg
    valtro-camo002b.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 379
If you want a hi-cap then a para might be a consideration, but the gun'll need work before it's reliable enough. Also cast parts just don't hold up as well :( Not the platform I'd choose unless I had one already somehow :eek:

Les Baer does one heck of a job. I have several weapons but my ONLY EDC is an H&K USP compact in .45.......wolf

They're really all good these days. To go with the one that has the features that catch your eye is probably your best choice. My old Colt that shook like a rattle even made a nice hole.
My two personal favorites are the basic blue version of the Kimber Pro Carry (with 8 round Wilson Mags) and the Rock River Arms Elite Commando (4" barrel with a two-piece guide rod).

Hey guys, I was showing this one to Joe Estrada, but when I tried to contact the company, I didn't get a reply. Tell me what you think.

tacsopsmall.jpg

Smoking Hole Pistol Design

Reed

For 1911's, the mil-spec Springfield can be had, (in CA) for less than $500.00. The lock-up and tolerances of the current Springfields is excellent. If it is a cost-no-object gun, I would recommend Larry Vickers. The complete gun would probably set you back 3 to 4 thousand dollars and you would have to wait at least 2 years; maybe more.

For semi-custom, out-of-the-box guns, Wilson and Baer maker great 1911's in the 1 to 2 thousand range. Any more money beyond that and I would consider a full-blown custom gun to your specs from a reputable smith.

Back