A non-Strider question

Raptor-
I don't have a ton of experience with compact 1911's, other than the colt officers acp I had for about 6 months-the thing was very unreliable, and a pain to field strip. I think kimber and springfield both make decent compact ones, but kimber makes one (ultra carry I think) that is an officers frame and 3 inch barrel...uses a one piece guide rod instead of the reversed plug in the colts that can break easily.

Mick-
I'd love to hear your thoughts on 1911's as well.

cheers,
Derek

Duane, any recent progress on that collection? When you told me about all those .45s I was tempted, but that's a whole nother level of hurt on the wallet :eek:

note on Kimbers ... you may want to check the operation of your grip-safety. Some Kimbers I've shot will drop the hammer at only half grip-safety engagement which would be ok except that at that point the firing pin wasn't allowed to strike. If you've got your wits about you you'll just perform a clear, but it's lost time ...

With a bit of fiddling you can tune the assembly to only drop the hammer when it'll allow firing pin strike. Measure with a caliper add some material etc. (better to have a qualified gunsmith to this if you're not capable) and then test again.

Series 80s do not have this issue.

-Rex

Izrafil, I am a little confused about your comment on the grip safety on the Kimbers, or any Colt clones for that matter. The grip safety blocks the trigger from being pulled, how would that affect firing pin strike? Also, the series 80's are Colts, and the firing pin block is not affected by the grip safety, but by the sear/disconnector when the trigger is pulled. Please let me know if I am just misunderstanding your comments......

are you referring to the newer series II kimbers that have a series 80 style block, only using the grip saftey instead of the trigger?
I kinda wish I could find one without it, as I'm afraid some spare parts will be unique to kimber only, plus it ain't broke, so why fix it? either way, my hammer dropped when the GS was about 3/4ths engaged.
cheers,
Derek

Series II? Ill have to look that up! I am wondering if they changes things. My new Polymer has all the old workings....

Kimber Eclipses are susceptible to this, I don't know which other Kimbers use the same system ... Regarding series 80 I was just mentioned it for comparison :).

series 80 does the same thing-locks the firing pin until trigger is pulled, only kimbers version locks the firing pin until grip saftey is depresses...does not make sense to me, but as long as finger is out of trigger guard until you have a target, not a big deal.
probably a useless saftey feature to try and "lawyer proof" their weapons.
I think there is something on their web page (www.kimberamerica.com) about it under "press release."
those eclipse's sure look sweet.
wonder if "the guys" could cord wrap a 1911 for us? :D

cheers,
Derek

Eskrimador1, how's it been? :)

You wouldn't happen to know the different size G11 grips available from MD Labs would you?

Izrafil, I looked up the series II and see ehat you were talking about. I am just glad my Kimbers dont have the grip safety firing pin block. Dang, seems they have to lawerize everything these days!

Dwenslen,
Jim Wilson from Shooting Times had an article on an old Texas Ranger that wrapped the grip of his 1911 with rawhide because he had trouble one time with a guy on his back stabbing him, and he couldn't get the safety to engage. He carried it cocked and locked with that rawhide, and the young range instructor looked at it and commented that it was dangerous. The Ranger answer with Son, I wouldn't be packin it if it wasn't dangerous.
Take care, and in no way is this an endorsement to tie down your grib safety:D

Rob, know what you mean about lawyer-ization ...

Over legislation and trying to use gimmicks to replace training are from the same camp :mad:

Back