A one million star hotel: an overnight @ 2500 mt

Hi there! Taking the opportunity the family is still enjoying the Sardinian sun and we have a couple of days of public holidays here, I decided to go for an overnight up to the mountains :). After so much sea :D:p I was sort of missing them and it was some years now from the last time I have spent the night outdoor there!

Safety first; the weather forecast was good, this is peak holiday time in South Europe so I was expecting many other hikers on the trails, the mountain hut on the trail (CAI # 210, 224) I was planning to keep as “base camp” was open and, as the icing on the cake, the 10th of August is the Night of the Shooting Stars, the tears of saint Lawrence, according to the tradition. During this week it’s very likely to see a number of shooting stars and, up there, where the urban light pollution is basically zero, I was confident the show would have been amazing :thumbsup:.

Parked the car while the village was still sleeping around 05:30 AM and hit the trail under the dawn light. Rather cloudy sky but I was confident it would have opened up during the climb. The very first part of the trail follows a forest road taking me through the woods until reaching a small hamlet. The forest road here becomes a well-marked trail and starts to climb more steeply into the woods, becoming denser and denser.

2wtfJ.jpg
2wtfL.jpg
2wtg3.jpg
2wtgd.jpg

First quick “pit-stop” to have a light breakfast (a juice and some trail mix) sitting on a big rock in a clearing, enjoying the sun rays filtering through the canopy and put in action :D the Spyderco PM2, my pocket companion for this hike :). Kept on walking with a good pace and, an hour later, I finally was above the tree line and, coasting an artificial lake and its dam (1957 mt.) for a while, I reached another small pond with crystal clear waters (1972 mt.). Cows were still grazing around it, they’ll be taken back to the valleys within the first week of September, according to the old practice of Alpine transhumance.

2wtgK.jpg
2wtgs.jpg
2wth1.jpg
2wth3.jpg

Time for a couple of shots and I reached the mountain hut (2026 mt.) where I got a proper coffee :) and had a chat with the crew and some customers. I told them about my plans and got confirmation it was fine to camp for one night as long as the rules for protected areas were respected. I strolled around the lake and the mountain hut a bit, taking some more pics and wait for lunch time. During lunch I also asked the cook if she can arrange some sandwiches and fruits I was planning to take for dinner and let her fill my thermos with her extra sweet black tea :).

2wth5.jpg
2wth7.jpg

Hit the trail again after lunch, looking for a good camping spot. I finally set up my outpost on a mountain pass (2495 mt.). I found a good spot, a bit further away from the marked trail and put up my tent, while the many curious Alpine Ibex came quite close to my camp. I also set up my “bed”, left the backpack and went around exploring the surroundings, taking more pics and screening some interesting geological formations. Several hikers are passing by, on the way back from the mountain peaks.

2wtha.jpg
2wthc.jpg
2wthe.jpg
2wthj.jpg
2wtho.jpg
2wthu.jpg
2wthw.jpg
2wthB.jpg

continue...

Last edited:
As the hours went by, the sun started to set. Time for a Spartan “bath” :D:p in the ice cold waters of the pond 50 mt. below and I am ready for dinner. Ate my sandwiches and drank my tea, looking at the magnificent scenery of the mountain peaks, coloring in orange and red. As soon as the sunset leaves the stage to the darkness, the scenery becomes breath-taking: one million star over my head and also several shooting ones :thumbsup::cool: ! A phone call to my wife and kids, some more night shootings at the stars and it’s time to go to sleep, wrapped up in my sleeping bag. Outside T° dropped to 4°C. The Alpine Ibex behaved and kept quiet enough :D so I managed to sleep rather well, the wind only, blowing hard from time to time, somehow made my sleeping less deep than usual :).

2wti4.jpg
2wtie.jpg
2wtij.jpg
2wtin.jpg
2wtip.jpg
2wtis.jpg
2wtiu.jpg
2wtix.jpg

Woke up at dawn and the feeling is to be on an island, surrounded by foaming waves :). Took it easy with my very frugal breakfast and, once closed my tent, I hit again the trail for the last stretch of my hike, the one taking me to the mountain top I had as my final destination. Climbing up, I went through scattered patches of frozen snow, some majestic geological formation where the different strata are quite visible and several screes. The trail is well marked until the top and I met a few other hikers on the way :). Few pics at the beautiful scenery from the top (2810 mt.) and it’s time to get back to my “outpost”, fold up the igloo tent and head down for the village in the valley and back home :).

2wtiA.jpg
2wtiE.jpg
2wtiG.jpg
2wtiL.jpg
2wtiT.jpg
2wtiU.jpg
2wtiX.jpg
2wtj6.jpg
2wtj8.jpg
2wtja.jpg
2wtjg.jpg

Just to share :) ! Have a good end of summer!

Last edited:
August , my month, with it's Persieds !! It so much nicer to be in a NO light pollution area and high it the Alps even better !
Those Ibex used to have a huge range much of Europe , North Africa and far to the East.
I know I have a distorted view of things but those red rock layers - remember they are iron rich as in knives !

Excellent photos. Those milky way shots are sky and telescope worthy! I say send them in. The first one we can clearly see the double cluster and andromeda.

Beautiful photos, and amazing how many stars are visible when you are out of a build up area. One question, is that mountain hut open all year long or does it close in the Winter? John

Super pics once more!! Thanks for taking us along!! Awesome scenery too!!! John

Hi!

not2sharp not2sharp : Thanks! Happy you liked it! :)

mete mete : Hi! Happy birthday then :)! Yes, in the urban areas the light “pollution” it’s quite high today. Sure artificial lighting has many pros, safety is one of the first which pops up in my mind (roads, traffic, crime :p:D), but surely takes away a lot of the “magic” in watching the night sky. Alpine Ibex in this very specific area have been reintroduced a couple of decades ago from the Gran Paradiso National Park. They thrived and multiplied :). Every year is possible to ask permission to hunt them in specific periods. The quota is set by our Rangers according to the headcount. Yes, you’re right about iron! These valleys were very famous for the presence of iron ores, iron working and the production of bladed weapons :thumbsup:.

craytab craytab : Thanks for appreciation :)! I can see from your avatar and some backgrounds in your knives pics that you’re passionate about astronomy. I am not expert into this and have just a very basic knowledge (mainly connected to land navigation/orienteering purposes). As said sometimes here, I am an amateur with photography (like I am with knives :p). The night shots were some “lucky” ones among many which look bad :D (out of focus, too dark, too bright, etc.) and I just discarded. If with “send them in”, you mean to send them to some contest, well, thanks but I don’t think these are so special, there are tons of much better ones in the web already :)!

G Grubbster : Thanks! Glad you liked them! :)

ShannonSteelLabs ShannonSteelLabs : Thanks man! Happy you liked the pics :). Yes, I absolutely recommend to anyone to take some time and be out in the Nature :). It was since several years now for me I was not going for an overnight (even if I had an “overdose” of these during my military service in the Alpine Troops:p:D) and I truly enjoyed it :thumbsup:.

J John A. Larsen : Thanks :)! Yes, that’s true. Living in urban context it’s a bit depriving in this sense! About the mountain huts here, they are normally open from the beginning of July to the beginning of September. This specific one will remain open to the end of November, operating only during week-ends. In full winter time these trails are not always passable (and orientation also can be difficult due to snow fall and most of the people go to ski slopes for downhill ski or hike the well-marked snowshoes/cross country ski trails :).

L lambertiana : Thanks! If you plan to visit this part of Italy, it will be a pleasure to give you some good information and tips and, if circumstances allow, can even be we’ll go hiking together! :):thumbsup:

jmh33 jmh33 : Thank-you John! Glad you liked the post :). My pleasure!

Have a good week!

Thanks for the information about the mountain hut as it looked like it had strong metal shutters for the windows and a metal door too. John

Hi!

willrise willrise : Thanks! Happy you liked this :)! Let’s say it takes a bit of physical fitness and some caution, specially in the final approach to the top (short via ferrata grade 1 or A) but it’s a trail which can be done by any mountain hiker with a basic experience :thumbsup:. Up until the pass where I set my camp we made it with the kids a few times (they like the “domestic” Alpine Ibex come quite close :)). So I’d say moderately challenging but not completely crazy, I’m not 20 yrs. old any longer…:p:D

@John A. Larsen : Hi John! Yes, it’s rather common for mountain huts to have this type of shutters :). Either in metal or thick solid wood panels (2.5 cm. ca.). Not so much for security during closing time :) but rather for the weather conditions: the snow storms, avalanches, landslides and… cold :D are not uncommon; the structures need to withstand these. The walls thickness also is rather impressive compared to the buildings in the plains. Sure today, with the new technologies, we have lighter, stronger building materials with much better insulation but these huts dates back some decades now!

Ciao! :)

Last edited:
Incredible pictures, fantastic journey!
Mjst be incredible to camp out at such height.
Sardinia is hight on my list of place I want to visit, hear many good stories about it.
I was pretty close this summer as we visited the Dolomites a few weeks ago, fantastic as well.
Thanks for sharing you adventure.

Hi!

knoefz knoefz : Thanks! Glad you liked the post and the pics :). Yes, Sardinia it's a great place, surely recommend a visit there. :thumbsup: Besides the Nature (sea and land), many great blades and knives are still handcrafted there! Happy you enjoyed Dolomites, those are one of my favourite destination. I have been there several times and also posted about one hike there. Take care!

Last edited:
Back