A Paeremes

What a magnificent knife! Thank you for sharing.

Is this the ball-in-cage section? A very high degree of difficulty there.

This thread has immediately become one of my all-time favorites. Thank you again.

- Christian

Yes, that's the cage.

Thank you all for your kind reactions, I went to sleep and woke up to this :)

Yes, that's the cage.

Thank you all for your kind reactions, I went to sleep and woke up to this :)

Oh wow, what is housed in the cage? They're well deserved comments :D Work in progress threads with exquisite carving and minute detail such as this are a rare bird to be able to be seen.

Oh wow, what is housed in the cage? They're well deserved comments :D Work in progress threads with exquisite carving and minute detail such as this are a rare bird to be able to be seen.

There's a little ball of leftover wood in there. I'm on my morning coffee and I'll drive to the sharpener in about 20 minutes.
After I'm back I'll share some pictures of it in daylight.

Ah can't wait to see. As someone who worked as a sous chef myself I find this extremely scintillating. I wear the tools of my trade on my skin though ;) Tattoos are the name of the game.

Absolutely fascinating, and a real treat to read. Many thanks for sharing your knife, and its history, with us :thumbup:

I have always enjoyed The Odyssey, and admire your chosen design.

Starting on the display, we decided on a Mythology design, Odysseus slaughtering pigs in celebration after returning home.
I was forced to translate some Greek in school and he was my favorite hero.

_MG_5688_zpsff9dtpsq.jpg

_MG_5697_zpsshgtn6aw.jpg

I wondered if the pig on top was the one that got away ;)

I'm just reading a book about early knives, and it's interesting to see that the Sheepsfoot goes right back to the dawn of iron cutlery.

Bón! This is a gorgeous wharncliffe-like knife, and the craftsmanship is gorgeous! Would you consider a clear gloss to protect the intricate wood work?

Bón! This is a gorgeous wharncliffe-like knife, and the craftsmanship is gorgeous! Would you consider a clear gloss to protect the intricate wood work?

It's oiled with linseed oil, then allowed to dry and waxed. The maker made me promise to wax or oil it once in a while.
I think if I use it regularly, the animal fat and my hands wil cure it even more, we'll see.

The final product, with a little more curve to the blade, all taken by daylight. A Pound coin for size.

IMGP0911_zpstuhgkzqf.jpg

As I entered the premises to collect my knife, there was only a bored shop-lady present.
When I asked for the Paeremes, the sharpener came running from the back to see who would wield such a knife. He wanted to know a little more about the history of it.

Details:

IMGP0917_zpsju10pefq.jpg

IMGP0918_zpsd86mauu1.jpg

You can see the ball in the cage in this one:

IMGP0920_zpslot93ckd.jpg

IMGP0922_zpsvns0l98r.jpg

Last edited:
I wondered if the pig on top was the one that got away ;)

I'm just reading a book about early knives, and it's interesting to see that the Sheepsfoot goes right back to the dawn of iron cutlery.
That's a great idea Jack, another story to tell when handling the blade.

It look fantastic QJerry, the carving is exquisite :thumbup:

This is the kind of thread that makes this sub-forum such a joy! History and symbology, a quest to keep old traditions alive, learned and reinforced family values (I laughed out loud when you said he, "boxed your ears." ) , the bringing together of artisans to bring a heartfelt intention into realization...I could go on.

What a pleasure to read and so well presented! Welcome and I hope to see you often:D

What he said! :)

Thank you for sharing your knife with us. As beautiful as the finished product is, I'm grateful for the clear, detailed in-progress photographs as well. There's something about the seeing the fresh, clean, precise cuts creating the knife's distinctive designs that is really inspiring.

I'm so glad you found a skilled (and undoubtedly patient) man to undertake a knife that means so much to you.

How big is the handle relative to your own hand, and how is the knife's balance, comfort level, etc.?

~ P.

While the knife can certainly stand on its own merits, the great background story and history just make it all the more amazing. Use it in good health and may it serve you well!

Outstanding workmanship. And a very interesting piece of knife history as well.

How big is the handle relative to your own hand, and how is the knife's balance, comfort level, etc.?

~ P.
Well.. we had a fitting session, where Anton gave me a few of his own knives to hold and he asked me several questions.
This was a bit tricky to make, it's a little blurry.

handpaere_zpsoaer0puo.jpg

It feels very natural, the carving makes it grippy, but it doesn't irritate.

Last edited:
That's a great idea Jack, another story to tell when handling the blade.

Maybe one of the crew that didn't get changed back, after Circe turned them all into swine! :D

Here's a couple of those Iron Age Sheepsfoot knives :thumbup:

I'm glad I finally decided to find out what a paeremes is. Fantastic that you could find a relative (of anybody, for that matter) to do such fine work fitting you and carving the handle.

Thank you for posting! :thumbup: What a fascinating read, and fantastic knife. Great craftsmanship! Welcome aboard, Hollander.

Back