A Paul Long Tracker Sheath, Step By Step

I recently had a very special opportunity come my way. I was invited to spend an afternoon with Mr. Paul Long, sheath maker extraordinaire. In addition, he told me to bring a knife and we would sheath it. I was blown away. I’ve been fiddling with leather for many years off and on and recently made my third knife sheath. The first was garbage, functional garbage, but still looked like it was cobbled together by Dr. Frankenstein with parts stolen from dead sheaths. My second was passable, but nothing special. My third and most recent, for my Tracker turned out OK, but it took forever and I had to tweak and change the design on the fly as I discovered mistakes. The chance to see a true pro at work was too good to pass up.

After a couple of very pleasant telephone conversations, I arrived at Mr. Long’s shop with my Tops TB1 tracker in tow. I felt like I was carrying a sack lunch into the Queen’s brunch! I was greeted by the most welcoming person you could ask for. He was so friendly, it was almost as though I was dong him a favor! Mr. Long eagerly showed some of the different styles he had made in the past for WSK’s, and while freely offering his opinion on what would likely work best, he was very open to what I wanted as well. We decided on a style and got immediately to work.

Let me say here Mr. Long is nothing if not efficient. The man’s shop was impeccably clean, with every tool neatly placed and well organized. As he began to work, I was amazed and humbled by the wall adorned with photos and framed magazine covers showcasing his work. It took a while to get over wanting to pinch myself to make sure I was awake. I’ll add, Mr. Long had no problem with me taking photos of him working and encouraged questions. At times I felt like a pest, but he welcomed and responded to every question or comment as though it was the most important thing he’d heard all day. He carefully explained every step as he went, trying to impart every ounce of knowledge possible. It was much like drinking from a fire hose. Mr. Long worked so fast and efficiently it was unreal.

At this point I’ll mention the Tracker is not an easy knife to sheath. It’s like trying to sheath a chainsaw. Every part of the blade from the quarter-round to the saw back is as rough on a sheath as it is on a piece of wood. Mr. Long evaluated and accounted for this factor without skipping a beat. I had brought along a notepad, but it was useless. He worked so fast, you didn’t want to look away for a second because you’d miss a step.

We began with the pattern. He continually stressed the importance of the paper pattern and advised that he was so confident in the pattern we would create, that he guaranteed a perfect fit without inserting the knife in the sheath until it was finished. At my skill level, that is impossible. He carefully traced the knife, we decided on what sort of belt loop we wanted and how deep the knife would set. He repeatedly made dots on the graph paper, brought out the ruler for lines, and went to his lighted board. Then, he would erase a line or dot and re-check where it belonged. Every step of the way he used multiple, often three, reference points to ensure every part would fit.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20001_zpsyg9gn0jb.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20002_zpsdjpb72cb.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20003_zpslcwnpzs9.jpg

Once finished with the pattern, he brought out the leather. He explained what parts could be used for the liner and which need to be used for the outside. We had earlier decided on a simple and sturdy veg. tanned liner. He often uses deer skin as well, but for our purposes and for this knife, cow hide was perfect. He laid the pattern out and used an awl to make reference points. He explained how that allowed him to cut without destroying his pattern. I would’ve never thought of this, but it worked perfectly. Again the ruler and awl came out and before I knew it, he snatched one of his dozen or so custom round knives and was carving out perfectly shaped pieces of leather. During every step he emphasized the “what” and “why” of everything he did. Including using a round knife instead of the utility knife I use (which he got a kick out of!) There was no doubt I was watching a master work even at this early stage. I could compare it to an assistant fry cook watching Julia Childs.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20004_zps6kiuebck.jpg

PL20Tracker20Sheath20005_zpsgomqqykd.jpg

Once the pieces had been trimmed up, he immediately began applying Barge Cement to multiple pieces, explaining how many coats he used and why. He’d then take two steps and have the pieces drying under a small fan. In the blink of an eye, he’d be on another job. Of interest is that he uses three coats of cement, with dryings in between on almost every piece of leather which connects to another piece. He also hammers the pieces together, removing any possible pockets and really creating a single piece from many. At first this seemed way overboard, but will result in a sheath likely able to stay together without even any stitching. It also results in what would seem a total moisture barrier between the outside and inner layers. This is genius IMHO. He essentially created a leather laminate offering unseen protection against rain and sweat.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20006_zpslbujgnxy.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20007_zpsns7r0bze.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20008_zpsfviesowp.jpg

A little more trimming.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20009_zpsm9ysjr1x.jpg

Mr. Long prefers the belt loop to fold outward, away from the body toward the knife. This makes for a nice, clean sheath back. Every part touching the wearer’s side is smooth. It also adds a bit of elegance. I’ll add that at every step of the process, Mr. Long adds a touch of this elegance to his work. Also, as he works with individual pieces, he does small things like finish the edges, or oil the sheath mouth during construction. He explained it’s quicker and easier to do small things like that before the sheath is put together. Having done it the other way, I’ll add that the small details which really make a sheath “pop” are sometimes impossible to do (or do correctly) at the completion stage. Here, he is folding the loop to make a crease, after wetting the fold.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20010_zpsvuxa2uvk.jpg

PL20Tracker20Sheath20011_zpsshvxfbm7.jpg

The liners get a pass through the splitter, keeping and using only a thin piece of the top grain, which he stretches tightly. Mr. Long makes his sheaths svelte and trim, not only making them stylish, but making even a large knife sheath appropriate for “sash” carry, of which he is a fan.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20013_zpsuqaqsye4.jpg

The fold-over liner gets stitched, post cementing.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20014_zpsqg0zrvng.jpg

At least I know I’m in good company using my wife’s hair dryer!

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20015_zpscu7rofxd.jpg

Once the belt loop has received several coats of cement, had the edges finished, and been skived, a final coat of cement is applied where the belt loop will be attached. Mr. Long is constantly performing a task, moving something to the fan to dry a bit, and moving on to finish something or start the next step. It’s like watching a choreographed dance at times.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20016_zpsxr7opdcv.jpg

A stud was added for sash carry and to offer several simple and temporary retention options, if desired. Though with this depth and fit, one would have to be doing gymnastics or fall down a mountain to need extra retention, but the option is there and that’s nice. Here, a stitch is given to the top of the front piece.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20017_zpsnhdywsav.jpg

Mr. Long didn’t wish to send me out the door with a plain sheath, so he first used a swivel knife to cut a decorative border. Next, he boned the cut, with a piece of real bone no less! He then applied a simple border stamp, adding unassuming elegance. This sheath would be a home at a mountain man rendezvous, a Tracker Pack get together, or a Sunday afternoon BBQ. I asked why he cut a decorative line, since we already had a shallow groove to use as a guide. His reply was “a picture is worth a thousand words”. He grabbed a piece of scrap and demonstrated what it would look like without a cut. The stamping was not quite as strait and didn’t set as deep. I was beginning to see what makes a Paul Long sheath a Paul Long sheath.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20018_zpsupicm5wg.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20019_zpshx4ajmyd.jpg

The welt, after numerous coats of cement, is cemented onto the sheath body. Note the single, thin welt. There are many opinions on the proper welt. Thick or thin, single or multiple. All I can say is the end result of this welt design was a perfectly fitting sheath, not much thicker than the knife itself. Having used other methods, I believe I’m a convert to his style. The results were too functional and beautiful to question.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20020_zpswurfebwh.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20021_zpsvn2oareb.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Mr. Long has two sewing machines, a lighter weight and a heavy weight. The lighter weight machine was used to sew the liner to the outside piece at the top. For construction, the big boy comes out. Mr. Long explained he recently received some brown thread and wanted to see how it worked. I thought the natural leather (which I adore) was perfectly accented by the brown thread, instead of the usual white.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20022_zps4pthgetm.jpg

The edges were rounded with an edger.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20023_zpsawqxvh5e.jpg

Then the edge and welt went through many steps at the grinder and by hand. First, Mr. Long used a grinder at 50 grit then went back to the shop. I believe he was applying Saddle Soap between sandings, but he was moving faster than I could keep up…and I’m about half his age! Then he hit it with 100 grit, back to the shop, then it was sanded on a worn section of 100 grit. At this point it was already getting a highly polished look. And it was smooth as a baby’s butt!

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20024_zps3cjmjex8.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20025_zpsj8hacfs8.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20026_zpsmnlyzs9c.jpg

But, we weren’t done. Next came the 220 grit hand sanding, followed by Saddle Soap. Then a final polishing was done with a piece of worn bed sheet. He had that edge as smooth as glass when he was done. Then came the edge dye. Unfortunately, we polished the edge too smooth and not all of the dye took. He explained that a little roughing up with sand paper would open it up to accept the dye, but I chose to keep it as it was. That beautifully polished edge looked great and would be tough as iron.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20027_zps9dv1cq6r.jpg

Here, Mr. Long was demonstrating the technique for “lifting” or removing inadvertent marks. Anyone working with leather knows these gremlins well. I didn’t know this trick of wetting and messaging them out. Then the hair dryer sees more use. It’s a handy tool.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20028_zpscyv1omvc.jpg

I missed many steps. Mr. Long would grab something from his cabinet, swab it on, then it was back on a shelf before I could snap a pic. IIRC, at times he used neat’s foot oil and finished by applying a touch of a lacquer substance over a thin layer of stain. Then it got to dry under the fan and allow the stain to even out a bit.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20029_zpscdketxyp.jpg

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20030_zps4bujjocp.jpg

The end result of all this was a thing of beauty. The sheath fit my Tracker perfectly, just as Mr. Long had promised. From the perfect fit, to the nicely finished edges, to the elegant design, I had a perfect sheath. I’m still in awe of it. I love the way it’s just thick enough to hold the knife, but thin enough to show the wonderful fitting job and sensual lines of the design. Slipping my Tracker in it felt like putting a hobo in a tuxedo! As a side note, I believe I have the only Paul Long sheath ever made for a Tops Tracker. It makes me want to buy a Beck, just so I can get a Paul Long sheath for it! Words cannot describe how I feel about this sheath. I just love it. The fact I watched it being created blows my mind.

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20034_zps3z0mf4wf.jpg

In about three and a half hours. Mr. Long went from holding my knife for the first time to handing me a belt ready sheath. I had stood and watched him the entire time. The day before had been spent on horseback for my oldest boy’s birthday. That morning, my legs were still feeling it. But, watching Mr. Long work, I never felt my legs at all. I told my wife later that I could’ve stood and watched him for five more hours.

A more friendly and pleasant man than Paul Long would be hard to find. What really struck me was how eager he was to share his knowledge. He wasn’t just open to a visit, he enthusiastically welcomed me. His passion for leather was obvious the whole time. He continually added tips and tricks he’d learned over the past fifty years and freely offered every bit of knowledge he had. It was an experience I’ll never forget. I apologize for the length of the post, but I not only wanted to attempt to document Mr. Long’s sheath making process, which I believe is of interest to many here, but shed some light on the man himself. The steps documented here will be all too familiar to many here, but, to many such as myself, they were real eye openers. It was an honor to spend time with him and I plan on returning as often as my wife and he will allow. Thanks for looking and take care.

PS. Mr. Long, feel free to correct any errors or add any information you feel appropriate. Thank you so much for sharing your time and knowledge with me. It was a true pleasure.

Last edited:
Envy doesn't adequately describe how I feel right now :)
Thanks for posting this up , I've learnt a number of new things from this , for example the numerous cement applications , I've got to try that :thumbup:

Ken

Man I agree, what a great way to spend a few hours!!!

G2

(also green with envy ;) )

jdk1 in the interest of you know what I'll use your screen name. You know you are welcome back anytime you can spare the time. Part of what brightens an old man's day is the opportunity to share with the youngsters (those youngsters who REALLY want to learn). If you look around, a lot of "the old hands" are just exactly that……"old hands", and I feel a real obligation to do whatever I can to fill the leather crafter pipeline as full as possible before I hang up my round knife.

I have five younger men who have gone on with their leather work and made me very proud and frankly tickled to death that I spent the time with them. Each of them has made me think that time I spent was VERY well invested. (That's also the reason Chris and I took the time to create those four DVDs.) jdk1 will be part of that group given a little more time.

As usual, the door is always open at my shop, but if that isn't handy, then at least you all know how to use email or the phone.

Paul

It was an incredible few hours indeed! Ken, if you picked up something from this thread then it was well worth posting it. I'm still sorting out the things I learned. Much went over my head, but the DVD's will help me out:) It was truly an honor and I can't say that enough. I wanted to add another picture from the welt. It really shows how form fitting the sheath is. Mr. Long made such a sexy sheath for a Tops Tracker, the knife equivalent of a brick! I'm just in awe at how it turned out. Here's the pic, just ignore the edge dye (as explained above) A few trips out and that edge will see some wear anyway;)

Mr. Long, thanks again and you can bet I'll be visiting again:D

PL%20Tracker%20Sheath%20037_zpswrrbpirl.jpg

Stories like this really makes me feel warm inside. Thank you for helping us newcomers out. Hopefully we would all make you proud one day.

Wow thats just really cool. I too am thinnking on that 3 layers of glue. Makes a guy go hmm. Thanks Paul and thanks jdk1 for posting.

Just a quick word about three applications of Barge. I thin my Barge to about the consistency of of warm pancake syrup. It's really fairly runny. I do this to get maximum penetration on the flesh side of the leather so that I am bonding much deeper than just surface to surface. The second and third applications then build up and make for a sure bond. Generally after about two or three hours curing the leather will tear before the bond breaks loose. I learned this technique when making saddles and it works well on just about anything that needs to be stuck together.

Paul

I was surprised by the three layers of cement as well, but once it was explained and after seeing the result, it’s brilliant. I’ll add that when I’ve cemented leather, I had to hold and/ or clamp the pieces. There was also extra cement running out. Remember, I’m very green:eek: Mr. Long had none of this. He applies cement and allows it to partially set under the fan, then repeats. After his third layer is set a bit, it’s ready. And the cement definitely penetrates, as he brushes a decent amount onto the pieces. His work immediately bonds and, after hammering, becomes one piece. That’s when I realized he was not just gluing two pieces of leather, but creating a laminate with what must be an impenetrable moisture barrier. The belt loop on this sheath is two pieces and I'm hard pressed to find where they join. You'd swear it was one piece except it's grain on both sides!

I hope y'all don't mind, but as I find aspects of this sheath which really catch my eye, I'd like to point them out. I mentioned in the original posts that I was surprised by the single, relatively thin welt Mr. Long used. I have continued to be impressed by how good it looks and how slim it feels. Below are two photos of sheaths for the same knife. The black sheath came with the knife when I received it. It is a custom sheath, but never really impressed me. The edge photos demonstrate how the black sheath used multiple welts to build the mouth. I actually counted seven (!) layers at the mouth. Since the handle doesn't set within the sheath body, I'm not sure what purpose this serves. Mr. Long used fitting to accommodate the deep handle placement. As his lining is split quite thin, I consider it and the outside piece one layer. The entire thickness of this sheath is essentially three layers deep, with the skived belt loop adding a slight "ramp" for the sheath mouth. IMHO, this produces a more attractive sheath which, while longer than the black sheath, feels a bit lighter. Again, I hope I'm not boring anyone, but these techniques have really impressed me and I'd like to share this with everyone.

Notice the incredibly thick mouth, which sets below the handle. If anyone can tell me the advantage of this, I'd appreciate it.
PL20Tracker20Sheath20039_zpsnhgurtpn.jpg

This sheath uses a narrow edge/welt to form around the handle.
PL20Tracker20Sheath20040_zpswluscjgf.jpg

Just a quick word about three applications of Barge. I thin my Barge to about the consistency of of warm pancake syrup. It's really fairly runny. I do this to get maximum penetration on the flesh side of the leather so that I am bonding much deeper than just surface to surface. The second and third applications then build up and make for a sure bond. Generally after about two or three hours curing the leather will tear before the bond breaks loose. I learned this technique when making saddles and it works well on just about anything that needs to be stuck together.

Paul

Just this is worth the price of admission. It took me three years to figure this out. My gluing went from lumpy and nasty to a much easier process. You have to use thin coats for this as it is very runny - but I find that it is much superior as Paul says.

Jason

J thanks for posting this up.
Mr. Long is truly a craftsman of the highest degree and the nicest gentleman you'll meet as well. Not to mention THE most valuable sheath-making resource here (or anywhere).
Mark

Mr. Long has been a friend to all who bend leather.

I have had good advice from him over the years, though this forum. One of his points, well taken, has been that it is unnecessary to have a thick, beefy welt. I have one particular sheath, that is a monstrosity with 8 layers!

These are the best threads to read. Paul, im addicted to your videos I learn something every time I watch them. Im new at this and cant get enough.
great post !

Back