A Paul Long Tracker Sheath, Step By Step

jdk1 thanks for posting this and Paul thanks for reinforcing and teaching every time you get involved. I've got three of your videos and have to get the 4th one. Thanks to you the quality of my work is beginning to show as long as I apply your methods and standards. You are very appreciated.

Great thread jdk1. Thank you Mr. Long for the quick WIP. I also have your videos, and my work is becoming more polished because of those videos. Great photos and what an honor to be able to spend time with him in the shop. Truly invaluable.

I've learned 99% of the relatively little I know from Paul, Dave, Jason and a few others here.

Paul, I really do get the feeling that you feel a responsibility to pass down what you know to those of us that can use that information. As most of us obviously are, I am truly grateful for that.

Thanks to J for posting this thread. It's neat to see pics like those. :thumbup:

I'm so glad you guys enjoyed it and maybe picked up something new. I was excited to post everything from the visit, so it was my pleasure. Mr. long did all the work and I was just blessed to be there taking it all in. I've since watched the first DVD and it was great. It reinforced what I learned at the shop and I picked up on some things I missed. I have also been working on my mental shopping list of new equipment:) Thanks for all the kind words and thank you to all of you for all the great information you all share here. I'm learning more everyday:thumbup:

Great thread, thanks for posting it!
I have a question. In light of the fact that the dye did not take perfectly on the polished edge, why doesn't Mr. Long apply some dye to the edge before the saddle soap? Or even before sanding it smooth? Or did I miss something?

Ordinarily the edge would have been totally refinished, but in this case the sheath was intended to be a hard user, and jdk1 decided that since it was shiny and smooth it would serve its purpose nicely as it was. It would not have seen the light of day without a refinish had it been for sale.

Paul

Ok, but still, why not put dye on before the saddle soap, instead of after?

Just to piggyback on Mr. Long, the two factors against a refinish were I felt the high polish, very hard edge would be super tough for my use and that my wife was expecting me home at a certain time. If I took liberty and stayed late, I may not get permission for a return visit:D Mr. Long used it as a learning opportunity and discussed the cause and the fix, but I was thrilled with the sheath as it was and declined the need for a re-dye.

Phillip, there is no particular reason for the sequence of the dye and the saddle soap, except I have noticed that if the soap and burnishing goes on after the dye the edge burnish is not quite as smooth. Your experience may vary.

Paul

If you use chrome browser go to chrome web store and install extension
Photobucket Hotlink Fix.
That should work because it works for me.

Back