A portaband saw just changed my life

zcd

Some of you might know that I'm a hobbyist maker - I like to putter around on the weekends and make knives for friends and family. I have a modest shop with basic tools, an anvil and small forge. Yesterday I was hacksawing my way through a 1/4" x 4" bar of 5160 that was too wide to heat in the forge, and after 45 minutes I'd made up my mind - enough was enough. This morning I headed over to my neighbourhood home depot and picked up a Milwaukee 120v portable band saw and some blades - I'm pretty sure this was one of the better decisions I've made in 2013! The amount of time saved in 30 minutes of cutting up thick bar stock boggles my mind. If you're on the fence about upgrading, do yourself a favor and pick one up!

ZCD,
The right tool makes all the difference in the shop. You can use the metal bandsaw for smaller wood pieces and book matching if you have patience. You will want a 4 x36 or larger flat sanding machine. I have flattened scales on my 2 x 72 platen, but its a true art form to get them even on one.

I picked up a 4x6 at HF. Man I agree. Just putting a piece of 1" brass round on it made my day. Not to mention sectioning off a piece of railroad track. Just put it on and let it run for a while.

Having the right tool for the job is one of those things that always pays for itself in the long run. Even for the hobbiest. Just makes things that more enjoyable which is the biggest benefit IMHO.

I think something around the first 20 knives I did were with a hacksaw. I didn't currently have the budget for a nice portaband and plan on upgrading to a full sized upright metal cutting saw once I have a larger shop, so I went ahead and got the HF model with the 2yr exchange plan. I got out the door for $80 and I'm still on the stock blade, which some claim is terrible, but has worked fine with me. I have a couple spare high quality blades that I haven't even gotten into yet.

Secret is to use a bit of cutting oil. If you aren't doing so, you should. It will make the cuts about twice as easy, and the blades will last twice as long. They also make a stick of oily wax in a cardboard tube (think push-pop), you cut the end of it a bit with the blade and it loads the teeth with lube.

I got the saw at 2PM and had 5 blades fully profiled by dinner. I would just be getting done with one or maybe two the old way.

ZCD,
The right tool makes all the difference in the shop. You can use the metal bandsaw for smaller wood pieces and book matching if you have patience. You will want a 4 x36 or larger flat sanding machine. I have flattened scales on my 2 x 72 platen, but its a true art form to get them even on one.

I agree, I tried flat platen on my 2x72 and find myself going back to my 6x48 every time. Wish it wasn't $15 for belts instead of $5 though. :(

I would kill for a benchtop surface grinder. I've repeatedly considered making up a surface grinding attachment for my 2x72. It would be fiddly, but if I stepped up and actually built it right, I think it would get a great result.

When I first read the title, I thought you cut off a finger or thumb!!!! I bought a bandsaw last month and really like it. It isn't much faster than a 4" cutoff wheel in my grinder, but its a lot safer, and a lot cleaner.

When I first read the title, I thought you cut off a finger or thumb!!!! I bought a bandsaw last month and really like it. It isn't much faster than a 4" cutoff wheel in my grinder, but its a lot safer, and a lot cleaner.

Luckily everything is still attached! It feels much safer than a grinder / chop saw, after having more than a few disks fly apart.

Secret is to use a bit of cutting oil. If you aren't doing so, you should. It will make the cuts about twice as easy, and the blades will last twice as long. They also make a stick of oily wax in a cardboard tube (think push-pop), you cut the end of it a bit with the blade and it loads the teeth with lube.

That is a great tip about the cutting oil. Have used it on drill bits for ages, didn't think about using it on the bandsaw blades

Never used a hacksaw, bought a 4X6 off the bat. Got a nice lemon. Upgraded to a portaband and it was like night and day. Best investment and bang for your bucks you can make for sure. Recently I got a 14" wood bandsaw geared down for metal and let me tell you, it's another level of nice. I can only imagine a real full size metal bandsaw. But of course that is also on another level of $.

ZCD, A Milwaukee portaband changed my life too. I bought a steel bench top table that fits the portaband perfectly with only one hand tightened fastener. The table is made by SWAG Offroad. You can find him on youtube or by search engine. The man who makes them makes 4 models and one of them will fit your machine. For $10 extra he will send you a foot switch which is really neat. You set your portaband to run at a slow speed and use one of those plastic ties that guys use to hold wires together on the trigger of the portaband so it is on full all the time and control it with the foot switch. I have seen a lot of home made stands for the portaband but this one is really nice. Check it out.

My beautiful wife got me the Dewalt Deep Cut and a Swag Off-Road table for Christmas. I've cut time in half, saved tons of belts and time outside in the cold since I can get 90% blanks made in the basement without much debris. Haven't touched my angle grinder since. So nice. Now just need a KMG, Little Machine Shop Mini-Mill, dust collection system and a heater in the shed out back. Oh, and electric.

After reading this I may just have to hang the old high tension hacksaw up on the wall and get a portaband!!!

ZCD, A Milwaukee portaband changed my life too. I bought a steel bench top table that fits the portaband perfectly with only one hand tightened fastener. The table is made by SWAG Offroad. You can find him on youtube or by search engine. The man who makes them makes 4 models and one of them will fit your machine. For $10 extra he will send you a foot switch which is really neat. You set your portaband to run at a slow speed and use one of those plastic ties that guys use to hold wires together on the trigger of the portaband so it is on full all the time and control it with the foot switch. I have seen a lot of home made stands for the portaband but this one is really nice. Check it out.

This is brilliant, definitely looking into it!

That is a great tip about the cutting oil. Have used it on drill bits for ages, didn't think about using it on the bandsaw blades

Even candle wax makes a big improvement if that's all you have in the shop/house.

The good thing about smaller metal cutting bandsaws is the blades are sometimes more readily available. If you don't have access to a blade welder that will do bi-metal blades and a coil of it. Plus you can ruin a big blade just as easily as a small one. That cost can be significant. Although you learn fast what not to try and cut.

My beautiful wife got me the Dewalt Deep Cut and a Swag Off-Road table for Christmas. I've cut time in half, saved tons of belts and time outside in the cold since I can get 90% blanks made in the basement without much debris. Haven't touched my angle grinder since. So nice. Now just need a KMG, Little Machine Shop Mini-Mill, dust collection system and a heater in the shed out back. Oh, and electric.

Man... it's like you and I are running the same shop with two different halves of the brain. I bought a table top mill and a big ole Bee metal 2/72 variable speed grinder this year, and put the heater in. that being the case, I'm still using angle grinder and hacksaw for all of my profiling so far.

that being the case gents, what's the best compromise of size and HP for a bandsaw in your opinions as it is my next acquisition?? I want something to cut profiles and that can power through without overheating and work hardening some steels?

should have edited that one to include that my beautiful wife is now married to someone else.... so now I can afford to buy those things without listening to it, lol. double edged sword

I would suggest you get a quality horizontal / vertical . Something with a good track record. I own a lemon which is fine. If you don't mind hurdles. I also have an 18 with a welder. I use the 4 x 6 more only because I fabricate a lot of small parts and I like not having to always push the work through. Especially materials that cut slow like stainless, and harder steels and non ferrous metals. Most important, Get all the info you can. From different sources. It all comes down to your needs and $. Good luck .

James

I don't know it this should be a new thread or not.

I have a central machinery 4x6 saw that is on its last leg. Dose anybody have any experience on how a portaband on a swag table cuts compared to a horizontal saw.
I'm looking to cut rough profiles in steel up to .260 and titanium up to .187

What types of steel are you guys cutting?

Ron

I've been using mine to cut up bar stock up to .250 thick. Chews through it like butter

Back