1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A radical theory, and leaving the world of expensive modern knives behind

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chopaholic, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    I struggled to pin down and define the general category of knives I was referring to. They are represented by knives such as boning knives, cimeters, breaking knives, other general purpose butcher knives, and to a lesser extent chef's knives and maybe pairing knives. No-nonsense professional use stuff with thin blades. Basically, it's everything most knife enthusiasts ignore and don't take seriously.

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    What a bizarre statement. I'm quite sure I can take a trailing point knife and stab stuff with it, very effectively in fact.

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    The Sani-safe line is fantastic. I use them at work, and they're a perfect example of what I'm referring to.

dinoatlas likes this.
  4. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    I guess you've never used a machete before.

5. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    As long as it's a $20 butcher knife of course.

Stay with us on this now.

Lance Leon likes this.
  6. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    You mean this one? Yes, I wish it was flat or sanded out of the box. Still an incredible value
    [​IMG]

Mark McKenzie and Mike157 like this.
  7. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    I have that very knife and use it for just about everything around the house.

krustysurfer and Mark McKenzie like this.
  8. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    Interesting point of view
    While I think the hype on super steels is clearly counterproductive in many ways I have to say I don’t come to the same conclusions as you

It is sure no one NEED a $100 knife, when one come to spend as much money in a knife it is about enjoying a hobby...
    I have used a PM2 and a GB2 to work in my house. Together it is a $300 investment where I may have used any $10 knife from a supermarket ;)

But I don’t think it is about century old butcher knife to take your exemple

TheEdge01 likes this.
  9. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    how long did it take to sand the sides smooth?

10. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Add-on qualifications like this don’t really serve to support or enhance the validity of your position. Quite the opposite, actually. It also makes people wonder what your next add-on qualification(s) will be and how far the add-on qualification dance will go.

Lance Leon, bdws1975, OilMan and 7 others like this.
  11. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
    There's a lot I do like about old-school designs. I will agree that the rise of the secondary bevel and now in more recent times stock thickness and really obtuse bevels has caused a hard turn away from cutting performance and towards longevity/ease of maintenance in the modern knife.

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  12. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    I think it's partially the result of knife manufacturers getting tired of people saying their knives suck because they keep chipping and breaking them doing idiotic things.

13. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
  14. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    My wife and I have been trying to break this BK9 by batoning for a few years now. We have failed miserably...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Chopaholic

Chopaholic

Aug 20, 2018
    It'
    Yes, that's one of the few survival knives on the market that can handle that kind of use. I'd wager thousands of kabar USMC knives ave been snapped in half by using them this way. That all became moot to me several years ago when I discovered that improvised wedges were a superior technique for splitting firewood in a camping or survival context. Before that, I was obsessed with batoning and durability just like all the nutcases on youtube.

GABaus likes this.
  16. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    If this was "Gangs of New York" and I could run around with a couple breakers/scimitars and a cleaver in my belt, your theory would be relevant.

So, since we can't, well, thanks.

17. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but I'm not sure you'll make many friends when you come on a board full of experienced knife enthusiasts and knife makers, claim superiority to others, then put down everyone else's techniques and choices. There are people on these boards that have been making knives longer than you have been alive, let alone using them.

I didn't post to chew on ya though, there's a lot of merit to what you're saying. There was a video I saw a while back talking about how the frontiersmen and mountain men of the 1800s used nothing but basic slab handled butcher knives and did fine with them. They carried an axe for splitting and felling rather than trying to baton or chop with a knife, the knife was designed to take apart an animal or do knife stuff rather than be a log splitter. Back in those days breaking, damaging, or losing your knife could be a very serious problem if you were far enough away from a settlement, considering you'd be without one for possibly weeks. A tough, thin blade that could flex but would not snap was more valued than edge holding alone. The thin blade and lower wear resistance aided in field sharpening as well.

Modern knives are asked to cut different things than older knives used to be, thus the change in edge geometry and steel composition. I prefer a balance of thinness and strength myself, but I can see the value in a stout fixed blade.

18. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    Maybe you’ve taken some valid points and observations and taken them too far. Your daily knife use offers insight, to be sure, but it’s cutting meat...all day. Not really covering all that an outdoorsman might want to do with a knife.

The value of chopping while hiking/hunting/camping/whatever can be debated, but it’s a handy ability to have in a small, portable blade. I’d rather not carry a hatchet or axe all the time. Having a knife capable of it in a pinch can be desirable. Plenty of through hikers don’t carry any knife and their ok. That doesn’t mean knives are useless.

On a KNIFE forum, we tend to obsess over and enjoy aspects much more theoretical than practical. Most of us get that. Saying an Old Hickory can be a great outdoor knife is fine. Saying it beats all others, unless the user is stupid, isn’t.

Quiet, Mr. Tettnanger, BITEME and 2 others like this.
  19. rustyspike

rustyspike

Jan 17, 2016
    Nice tread. :). Most people buying the modern knives are collectors. They have the need for this tech. Ok with me. My go to hunting knife is a Esee 4. Edc Delica. Paring Opinel (Inox), Chef Case 8 inc stainless. And 3 Dan Tope mid techs CPM 3V. Collector stuff. 2 just sit in my knife box. The Bull Dog I EDC or for hiking. Have about 6 folders and 6 Fixed. Not including my Kitchen.

Any way to each his own.

Rich K.

20. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    I bought this old knife for 25 cents at a yard sale. It's very thin and cuts wonderfully. This morning I used it to cut through a roll of frozen sausage and it went right through.
    [​IMG]

GABaus, kvaughn, herisson and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.