A revelation in cheap sheath material!

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
If you're at all like me, you've probably acquired a lot of sharp things that, for one reason or another, don't have sheaths. The volume of these means that getting nice leather or kydex made for them represents a significant cost that just isn't feasible. I just recently hit on a solution that I've been absolutely giddy about: root barrier sheeting.

It's UV-treated high-density polyethylene (HDPE). Available in rolls of varying dimensions and with a degree of flexibility and cut resistance equal to leather roughly 3x its thickness by my estimation, and dirt cheap. 20 square feet in 30 mil thickness (about that of a credit card) was $18 shipped to my door. It's ductile in temperatures down to -90° F and melts at 250° F, and can be heated with a heat gun at 240° to give it some mild stretch and formability like wetted leather. Because it's not a woven material, it doesn't need the edges hemmed, and because it's a polymer it's highly weather resistant. Not the prettiest stuff in the world, but using a weltless compression rivet arrangement I was able to knock this lightweight and durable sheath in about 5 minutes. I'm gonna' be covering ALL THE THINGS with it.

42234488_10216764335769187_8121979758863974400_o.jpg

42309040_10216764335529181_8115471225553158144_o.jpg

excellent. looks pretty darn good. Sir, so are your gonna offer it with knives without sheaths ya sell or is this more of a only for your personal use type of post? thanks.

Nope. Much better. It's solid plastic sheeting, not a simulated leather textured polymer over a fabric backing like pleather is. HDPE is the same stuff cutting boards and milk jugs are made of, for reference.
We should call it pleather+! All kidding aside, good job on the sheath.

excellent. looks pretty darn good. Sir, so are your gonna offer it with knives without sheaths ya sell or is this more of a only for your personal use type of post? thanks.

Yeah, I'm planning on adding the option for cheapo sheaths for stuff that doesn't otherwise have an option available. I actually stumbled onto this material while material-scouting after a conversation with a customer who wanted a sheath for a Tramontina bolo machete he'd ordered. I think I'm gonna' make him one and send it along with the machete as thanks for inspiring me to go digging for alternative economical sheath material.

Yeah, I'm planning on adding the option for cheapo sheaths for stuff that doesn't otherwise have an option available. I actually stumbled onto this material while material-scouting after a conversation with a customer who wanted a sheath for a Tramontina bolo machete he'd ordered. I think I'm gonna' make him one and send it along with the machete as thanks for inspiring me to go digging for alternative economical sheath material.
right on. you're always finding ways to fix/fill missing niches no one else seems to want to. it pretty darn brilliant. wont dull the edge either like frn/grn sheath will. I expect it wont scratch blades either like cut up kydex can. dont know though. maybe a longer term review after some use. I'd look forward to that.

Interesting idea, seems like a good application. HDPE is TOUGH stuff, no question. If any of you want an idea of how tough this stuff would be, try ripping a milk jug in half with your bare hands.

Can it be molded like kydex? It looks good for an inexpensive option. I like the idea.

Only with low definition as far as I can tell. It's not an ideal thermoforming polymer. But when heated it can be "persuaded' to take a bit of a set. I flattened the belt loop a bit with heat, and the flap along the back of the handle so it'd conform better. I don't think you could get kydex-level forming definition out of it at all.

I'm gonna have to go with no here.
images

And that's fine. It's not meant to be nice, it's meant to be functional and cheap. It succeeds on that front, but if folks want nicer, higher-end sheaths, there's tons of great custom makers out there. :)

That's really cool!

How is the durability to the point or edge coming through? Is it comparable to thin leather?

I'd say it's comparable to medium-weight leather, actually! This stuff is thin enough that I was nervous about its durability at first, but it's very resistant to cuts or accidental puncture.

Back