1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A tool for holding tools to sharpen

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by muleman77, Apr 3, 2018.

1. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
    This is something a few of you may have seen. Theres not many around though, so maybe you'll find it interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It holds McCleods nicely too, but I didn't have one close. They go up in the slotted pipe.

Comes in handy from time to time :)

2. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    hey thats pretty neat

muleman77 likes this.
  3. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I want one.

muleman77 likes this.
  4. Hacked

Hacked

Jun 1, 2010
    Now that's neat, I just use a rope through a hole in my work bench.

muleman77 and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Pretty cool.

muleman77 likes this.
  6. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Now that is definetly something to keep an eye out for.
    Thanks Mulemann77 :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

muleman77 likes this.
  7. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    I don't need one, I have a few effective ways that work for me, but holy crap I want one.

8. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Never seen one. It's super cool and I want it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just work on a portable Black & Decker Workmate bench with a drop-in vise. It works pretty good. I also keep some squeeze clamps handy for the odd tool that can't find a place in the vise.

[​IMG]

9. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2009
    That is one very usefull tool. Thanks for sharing.

Miller '72 and muleman77 like this.
  10. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Ah, the old clamp the vise to the table trick. I have one "permanently" set up like that. I also like the multiple workstations. You need some minions.

11. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Absolutely!

I've since bolted that vise permanently to a board as a drop-in for the Workmate. That particular Workmate was made a gift to my son-in-law after I found one of the old aluminum h-frame models to replace it. The Workmate on the far right (partially out of the picture) was another one of mine with a vise bolted to a board for quick drop-in. I sold that setup, Workmate and vise to a fellow trailworker who also wanted a portable vise.

Workmate collectors and enthusiasts have created all sorts of drop-in utility tools for the workmate. Large work tables, vises and shaping tables are the most common, but guys have come up with all kinds of crazy, handy specific drop-ins for their own needs. And a sandbag on the stool makes the whole thing more sturdy when needed.

Super versatile tool, those old Workmates. Too bad the new ones are so whimpy. If you see and old one at a yard sale, grab it!

Trailsawyer and muleman77 like this.
  12. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Here's my current setup. I use this out in the yard for the 'dirty work' before bringing it into my patio shop post vise for the cleaner work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016

that'd be an upgrade

[​IMG]

Agent_H and Miller '72 like this.
  14. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    That is one mean looking vise no matter how you make it work :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Love the workmate!
    My dad and I have battled for years, mayne 2 decades now, over where HIS workmate table is and why he can't find it...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

He ultimately threw in the towel and bought a new one a couple years back.
    What? I learned that game from him:cool::D:thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  15. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    I fully agree. I bought a B & D Workmate 200 new in 1985 but that particular one isn't as good some of the half dozen 'tossed' ones I've scavenged from the roadside on garbage day over the past few decades. Early tops were made of somewhat water resistant plywood but B & D switched over to thin-veneered particle board by the 1980s. Leave one of these outside and they're 'done' in short order. But for us opportunists a ruined top is no biggie to replace with real (ideally 7/8" or so thick) wood. Drilling the metric sized holes for the 'dogs' is the worst of it. My first Workmate rebuild incorporated 3/4" White Oak boards (wonderfully rot and weather resistant) and that one was out in the open for over 20 years before the decking began to let go.

garry3, Square_peg and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  16. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I seem to like any "post" with that vise in it :thumbsup:

Trailsawyer and Square_peg like this.
  17. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    It's a 6 inch, 85 pounds. Funny thing is I have a 6-1/4" 145 pound vise laying around waiting to take its place and I just haven't been motivated. The 85 pounder does whatever I've needed so far.

Agent_H likes this.
  18. GWashington1732

GWashington1732 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I've been clamping mine in my bike repair stand lately.

19. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    For most of those applications I've got it worked out and am doing fine even without this very cool apparatus but the adze holding function seems, from the photo, a real nice thing. This would resolve a terminal annoyance.

(Now I'm going to pull a trick I picked up from Agent H for simplifying the reference.)
    [​IMG]
    When it needs some steadying - not that it might, I don't know - a simple wedge or two in there would do that trick.

muleman77 and Square_peg like this.
  20. Kootaga13

Kootaga13 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    That thing there's, slicker than owl poop.
    Just proves our forefathers didn't need all these fancy dodads we have. (Not that someone has something fancier than this)

Trailsawyer and muleman77 like this.