A very Important message. AKTI

akti-ani.gif

Dealers and members.

This is very important. I have created a banner which I would ask you to put on your site. The future of our industry and our rights depend on the very decisions we make today.

Please take the time to visit the AKTI web site and join.

www.akti.org

Dealers and anyone who has a web site. Please use this banner, which I made, to promote AKTI's efforts. It will appear in rotation on BladeForums starting tonight. AKTI needs all of our help.

The following text is from the AKTI site.

We invite you to join the American Knife and Tool Institute. Knives were one of man's original tools. Even before fire man learned to cut. AKTI was formed by a group of citizens who firmly believe something as useful and handy as a knife is an important part of everyday life and a large part of our independent heritage. The American Knife and Tool Institute plans to educate and inform the public and garner grassroots support to promote the preservation and protection of man's original tool. Please join and help us accomplish these important goals.

Our ability to continue to produce, use, and enjoy knives over the long run could be seriously jeopardized by a single act of Congress or through the uninformed actions of our elected representatives.

You are not alone if you have failed to consider the downstream effects of restrictive knife legislation on our work, hobby or sporting activities. These potential problems can no longer be ignored.

AKTI uniquely addresses these issues in a way that no other industry specific organization can. Our cohesive industry-wide coalition can make the critical difference.

We look forward to your joining this important and necessary organization. Your membership and contributions will help provide the means for our strong collective voices to be heard.

Please make this important commitment to the future of knives and tools by joining AKTI today!

Should AKTI wish to have a forum on BladeForums.com I would be willing to donate our services to host their forum FREE of charge to allow them to answer questions posed by those interested in the AKTI organization. It is time for our indistry to have one unified and strong voice.

Thanks for your time.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Mike - At the last AKTI board meeting, I brought up your offer to have an AKTI forum site and keeping it live. The idea was well received and there was much discussion. There were some questions;

Moderating the forum could take a great deal of time. Who? How? This was the first consideration.

I said that I could do a test and moderate a thread for a few days to see if the interest was there and how much time it took. I would not be able to do this on a permanent level as moderating the Spyderco site is already time tight.

I believe that AKTI has the ability and the opportunity to permit knife people to both teach and learn from those whose fears strongly influence public opinion.

We don't know all of the answers. We don't even know all of the questions. We do know that we must cooperate. In cooperation lies the key to understanding and moving forward.

I invite you to ask questions, express opinions; positive, negative, anything you can think of. This group is probably one of the best for AKTI to learn from and work with.
sal

Sal,

I think the forum would have less traffic than the Spyderco forum. Also it would be more of an informational resource that anything else. You are not selling a tangible product and it really amounts to one product which is a service. The advantage tot he forum is that many questions only need to be answered once. Then from that point on people could just review the questions that where asked and the posts that follow. A moderator would then be able to answer one question once as opposed to the emails that AKTI would get. In fact AKTI's site could refer questions here rather than have someone try to answer email. Many other sites now handle, what would amount to, technical support through forums with great success.

We could test the idea anytime.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

I joined the AKTI and am member #A000003. I think it is well worth the 15 bucks membership fee and hope that many more will also join and give AKTI support. Their cause is for all of us that want to preserve man's oldest tool! More voices to be heard the better it will be .....

Mark

Thank you Mark. You encouraged me (as well as you Mike) to become a member too. I got to thinking how much I love knives, and I worry more and more everyday that their future is grim. With all the sheeple these days, I fear the worst for guns and knives. If I can do it, any of you can do it. It's a very small price to pay for freedom. I called in my membership less than 2 min. ago. I just needed a small kick in the butt. Thanks. -AR

------------------
- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

I agree that an AKTI forum would probably receive a lot less traffic than Spyderco and maybe even the politics forum, but neither of them are completely focused on the act of preserving and expanding our rights nationally and locally.
I'd like to see this forum be, as Mike said, an informational resource as much as it is a discussion forum. If we can build up an archive of (accurate/updated)data of laws, quirks, documented cases etc. It would give us plenty of factual info to educate others not on the forums, and factual ammo against sworn antagonists of the 2nd Amendment.

Ken

This is a great idea and I for one am on my way over to join up and give my full support. Thanks for the update and looking forward to checking out the new site once it becomes available.

------------------
*Norse Knife Nut*

"Military" Fans Unite!!

"The only limitation is lack of imagination."

OK - I finally quit procrastinating. Just sent the chack and application off to 'em. Come on now, how 'bout the rest of you guys.

------------------
Kelly

Deo Vindice

Knife people need to have something similar to the NRA. AKTI seems, at least at this point in time, to be the only thing even close.
I used to think that guns would be the only thing to be legislated out of the hands of the common people, but after reading what has happened in the U.K., it now looks to me like we can't dismiss the idea that sheeple will look at knives like they look at handguns.
Years ago I made the choice to become a Life Member of the NRA and have supported it through the NRA-ILA whenever I could. I feel the time has come to do what I can for the knife fraternity as well.
Like Jackyl, I guess a good kick in the butt sometimes is all I need.

OK, it's up on my personal page in the "knife section".

Good idea, BTW.

Banner now is up on my "Knife Links" page.

A. Dale McLean
<A HREF="http://www.nt.net/~admclean/Index.htm" TARGET="_blank">ADaM Sharps Cutlery - Canadian Knife Dealer</A>

I singned up several weeks ago as no.151. I'm glad I did. I have only one small question. I did not recieve a decal as stated in the application.They said they would be sent out at a later date.Did anyone get a decal? I'm not complaining about it. I was just looking forward to sticking it an my truck to show my support.Anyone know when they will be available? Thanks.
scott w

Thanx for your support in "spreading the word" with banners and links.

Thank you also for the money, we could sure use that.

We really need your input so we know what to do with the money. What would you like to see AKTI do? Can you offer assistance by joining one of the committees that AKTI is trying to form? Getting iformation....sharing information....It is the knife users, collectors and builders that are the force behind AKTI.
sal

What type of committee is AKTI trying to form? I'll help in any way possible. -AR

------------------
- Intelligent men, unfortunately, learn from fools, more often than fools learn from intelligent men.

This thread is a good example of why a forum is needed. This particular thread will get lost very soon on a general board but in it's own forum it will have a good chance of being read by most all.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
www.wowinc.com

I used to think that liberals would leave knives and knifemaking alone in the U.S. I figured the NRA would harrass them enough with gun lobbying, so that knives would not be at risk. Now, I know I was wrong.

I have just been informed that the only school in the U.S. that offers a complete corriculum in metal engraving (Montgomery Comm. Coll. in Troy, NC)is cutting funding for the program, as of this fall. This program is associated with the fine gunsmithing program there, and the focus is on firearm and knife embellishment.

The gunsmithing program is also under fire. The usual 3 instructors it takes to run the gunsmithing program is down to 2 and the administration is not going to rehire another instructor. In short, this program will also be phased out asap.

Knifemaking will be effected also, since the NRA has been sponsoring knifemaking seminars in the summers in conjunction with the gunsmithing & metal engraving programs. This summer will probably be the last time knifemaking giants such as Bill Moran, George Herron, Don Fogg and others share their wealth of knowledge at MCC. As far as I know, this is the only place on the east coast where people can learn knifemaking skills at a public school, for a reasonably low cost per course.

Given the unique course offerings at MCC, I thought these programs would be developed and nourished at all costs. Not so. The new administration there is doing all it can to be rid of this type of education, in favor of more "appropriate" business oriented course offerings. You can bet these actions are due to liberal politics and mind sets. These guys think of knives as they do guns. The less there are the better. If we continue to sleep, we will lose our right to build and carry knives. Join the AKTI, and keep up on knife legislation in your area!!

Back