1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

aaand, now i want both. great. Hiking Buddy and EDC II ....

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by TPVT, Feb 21, 2017.

1. TPVT

TPVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2012
    i haven't had a fiddleback forge knife in a few years. the ones i tried, the handles were just a bit too thin for my taste.

but recently, i started casually looking again (that's how it starts). and, i came across an osage hiking buddy on a fiddleback friday not-so-long ago. boyyy, did i like it.

now, it's the winter up here in VT. that means i have more time to sit around and read allll about everyone's favorite fiddleback's. my knife interests go through ebb and flows. i recently have been on a smaller sized knife kick. whereas, just a couple years ago, i decided i did not need a small fixed blade, as i always carry a folding knife.

i periodically look at the distributor sites. and, an EDC II caught my eye on DLT. i have to thank all of you for taking the time to post some really great comparison threads (particularly blood604 and pertinux). so, i did some quick cross-referencing, and thought, "well shoot, that might be a knife i like." then, i had the financial discussion with myself (keep in mind it's still winter, and i'm partial to bourbon). and, i decided that it'd be fine to buy a new knife. when i get the EDC II, i'll just decide whether i like it or the HB better.

needless to say, the EDC II arrived today. (as a side note, i was impressed with the packaging care that was taken my DLT). When i got the EDC II in hand, i audibly said, "Wow." not kidding. i absolutely love the knife. it fills my hand quite well, and feels like it's meant to be there. that sounds perhaps a bit too corny, but i don't know how else to explain it.

sooo, now i have a decision to make. i definitely like the handle of the EDC II better than the hiking buddy. but, i prefer the blade shape of the HB. and really, the HB has a smaller footprint than the EDC II. with that said, i don't think i expect that to make too big of a difference in my decision process. i expect the blade shape of the EII to be better for "slicing" (think game processing). i expect the HB blade shape to be better at "cutting", if that makes any sense. think wood carving and cutting cheese (alright, stop it ;)). but regarding woodwork, the handle shape of the EII would be more comfortable for extended knife use. i think if i could find a HB with thicker scales, that would potentially be the winner.

I literally just shook my head. you know what this means, don't you?? i am going to have to wait until the spring. :D i would like to give both of these some use and see if my initial thoughts are true (or false). and, now i'm smiling. :)

tough to get good pictures at night. but, i tried to get some comparison shots (homage to previous, better threads) ....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  2. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    wait.......you have both!

Winner, Winner, chicken dinner:D

3. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Beauty of a Hiking Buddy!! I'm not a huge fan of the shape of the EDC, though I'm sure it's an awesome knife. :thumbup:

You'll be looking for the next one in no time!

4. TPVT

Feb 14, 2012
    ha. well, shoot...i guess you're right! i DO have both! :D

thanks. and, i see that there are a lot of new models, since last i've been an active "looker". there are several on my short-list.

5. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    Nice Todd! Those are both beauties. I've never had a EDC but I did carry a HB for quite some time and loved it.

You've got great taste!

6. TPVT

Feb 14, 2012
    well shucks, thanks Hugh. ;) :D if you ever want to check out the EDC II, just let me know.

7. HWF

HWF

Apr 1, 2012
    You rock! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it after some use.

8. jiallen7575

jiallen7575

Nov 1, 2015
    I love my edc2 & have a hiking buddy coming on friday. The more I lurk on this forum the more models I want to try out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

9. hasco

hasco Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Those are two great specimens!! I have never had an edc but I'm sure I would love it. It has a great blade shape and the handle looks very comfortable. Since one is scandi and one convex you might as well keep both!

10. bear71

bear71 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Both beauties! It took me a while to get and EDCII but now it's one of my favourite smaller Fiddlebacks. The leaf shape blade is really useful for a bunch of everyday tasks, even spreading butter and such. Of course the HB is a classic and I will always have one in my rotation. The Handyman is another option with the HB shaped blade and a slightly different handle. Hope both work out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. adequacy

adequacy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I especially like the looks of that hiking buddy. The olive and the light colored osage pair so well! I enjoy the hiking buddy a lot too.

12. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    I will second Jules comment on the Handyman. Much the size and general profile of the HB with a more hand filling handle.

Bill

13. TPVT

Feb 14, 2012
    if you think of it, i'd be interested in hearing your comments on both, once your HB arrives.

and thanks for the recommendations on the handyman. i will have to take a closer look at that one. i mean, at this point, why not??!?? <insert maniacal laughter>

14. Eric@DLT

[email protected]

Mar 30, 2015
    Great looking pair of knives you have there. Hopefully spring comes early for you so you can put them to use!

15. TPVT

Feb 14, 2012
    thanks Eric. i've received a lot of knives from a lot of places, and as i mentioned, i could tell you took great care in the packaging. that's a little thing, but to me, that means that you do in fact "care", and have pride in your work. thanks again. i will be a repeat customer. :thumbup:

16. jiallen7575

jiallen7575

Nov 1, 2015
    I received my HB a day early and have to say I agree with your initial impressions. The handle on the edc is more filling and probably better for long term hard use, but for my purposes I see no problems in either. The hiking buddy is just over an ounce lighter (it's 3/32, my edc is 5/32).
    I honestly think I will love the HB every bit as much as the edc once I've put it to use, of course I'm already trying to figure out which one I'd like next, a third 3" blade or a second 4" one. [emoji2]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

17. TPVT

Feb 14, 2012
    nice! i like that burlap! will be interested in hearing your continued thoughts once you put them to use. i'll try to remember to do the same. :rolleyes:

18. TPVT

Feb 14, 2012
    a hiking buddy helping to make it's own sheath?!!? sure. why not. it really was a pleasure to use.

[​IMG]

the EDC II is resting in its own sheath.

[​IMG]

the funny part is, apparently i have some options in my leather box for the HB. the one on top was the one i cut out for the HB, but the one you actually see me working on, i decided i like better. it has a smaller profile. i kinda like the one it is sitting on, as well. but, i only have the one side of it. maybe i'll save that for another one.

[​IMG]

19. Eric@DLT

[email protected]

Mar 30, 2015
    How'd the wet form and other sheath turn out?

20. TPVT

Feb 14, 2012
    good question! lol. it wasn't quite dry yet last time i was home over the weekend. in checking on it sunday though, seemed like it will be fine. i will be back home tonight and will post back.