About serrations

No, I do not like serrations, so I wouldn't even begin to try to talk you into one.

If I was you I'd get the Byrd with the serrated hawksbill blade. It's super cheap on the big river and a great way to try out the spyderedge. It deff turned me into serrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also prefer them because their lack of liners make them lighter than their endura/delica counterparts.

My salt 1 actually feels more solid than my delica I used to own (my ex kept it). I feel FRN is stronger in a slab, than if it is if hollowed out to fit steel liners, and its lighter! The salt one has zero blade play and squeezes in between the FRN with very tight tolerances when closed, making the most of the thickness of this blade. The delica had a little side to side play (a non issue for what i used this knife for), it just did not feel as tough as the salt 1.

Meanest cutter out there that still fits in a normal sized pants pocket

20170314_193637_zpskcr4wnu5.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have been convinced to give a fully serrated model a try. 😎 I am thinking about a Salt 1 or possible a Delica. Most likely the Salt. I am gonna think it over a little more then order tonight. Thanks again.

Jim

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have been convinced to give a fully serrated model a try. 😎 I am thinking about a Salt 1 or possible a Delica. Most likely the Salt. I am gonna think it over a little more then order tonight. Thanks again.

Just keep in mind that H-1 isn't the only blade steel that makes for good Spyderedged blades. I've had excellent luck with VG-10, 440V, ATS-55, ATS-34, GIN-1, AUS-8 are all good blade steels for Spyderedges.

I'm still anxious to see how LC200N and XHP both would perform like in Spyderedge. Especially LC200N being a nitrogen based steel just like H-1 is.

Hey Jim!
Yer going to love it. It might become your favorite EDC.
rolf

If I was you I'd get the Byrd with the serrated hawksbill blade. It's super cheap on the big river and a great way to try out the spyderedge. It deff turned me into serrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+
It's the perfect knife to try out serrations.
I wouldn't spend a lot of money on this experiment.

Gesendet von meinem KIW-L21 mit Tapatalk

Meanest cutter out there that still fits in a normal sized pants pocket

Well Peacent your obviously touting the Spyderhawk as being an icon for Spyderco's great serrated blade folders>> and to a degree I would be the last one to argue the point with you. Albeit Hawkbills do have a distinctive "pull cutting" advantage so in my opinion it's almost an "apple vs orange" comparison in some ways.

But your point of Hawkbills performing significantly better in SE is well taken and I doubt if anyone could argue that point at all. Even with Spyderco's patented Spyderedge serrations being the premium hard use serrated edge on the market I would still like to see them experiment with more serration patterns. I would like to see a more rounded, low profile serration like the ones that used to be on the older C-17 Catcherman model.

I also wish that Spyderco would do more of their fixed blades in Spyderedge. The JUMPMASTER is truly a premium example of a fixed blade in SE. But the older TEMPERANCE 1 model in SE is still about my all time favorite. I still say the TEMP 1 would be a premium Sprint Run in PE & SE both. I'm wondering if it couldn't be done in H-1? Because H-1 sure gave new life to the Spyderhawk model ( especially in SE).

Is the Spyderhawk (hawkbilled, serrated Endura in H1) still around? I could only find the Tasman (hawkbilled, serrated Delica)..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JD, you need the Delica Wharnie in SE. Nice shallow serrations.

DBC09B15-6DF6-46D6-B571-4BA7457A81E3_zpsc1wabx15.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
8F0ACB2C-96E9-403A-AC60-F9A218257A49_zps9u1fcqy7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I love fully serrated Spydercos. They excel at cutting fibrous materials, and I appreciate the way they bite into hard plastic. When I moved last year, I used a fully serrated Spyderco to cut everything from cardboard to old garden hose to big plastic toys that wouldn't fit in the garbage bin. I was very impressed by how well the serrated edge performed and have been sold on serrations every since. I prefer plain edge overall, but I'll always have a serrated knife in my collection.

They're also much easier to sharpen than many think, especially with a Sharpmaker.

This.^
I love the traditional edge but Kels73 nailed it. Your, cut anything edge, is the serrated.
rolf

There are some recommendations I could give you. First off if you want a premium Spyderco SE fixed blade then go for the JUMPMASTER. If you want a good SE Hawkbill then you can't go wrong with the HARPY model>> but if you get extremely lucky and find an H-1 Spyderhawk then I would go for that IMMEDIATELY!!!

And for a general use, all around good folder you can't really go wrong with a VG-10 SE Endura. Nothing fancy but just a good all around SE folder.

And keep your fingers crossed because I believe we could see a Sprint Run of the G-10 Harpy. If that comes to fruition I'll get 3 of them this time.

And if you're lucky beyond belief and find a Spyderedged version of the original TEMPERANCE 1 model I would even go pawn something to get that. Those TEMP 1 models have been two of my all time best fixed blades since I got them back in 2004. They should be Sprint Run candidates for the H-1 Salt Series IMO.

Hell, get one and see if you like it, but generally, for EDC, I'd say why? I love serrations, but they are just a different tool than a plain edge. They cut aggressively, if you want to cut something off, like a rope, but they are not as well suited for cutting clean and straight, compared to a plain edge. They are a bit more complicated to sharpen, but IMO they also work better than a plain edge when not being so sharp, because if you use the right technique, you can tear through the material anyway and the risk of slipping with the blade is smaller, since the points dig in and fix the edge to the material. But again, ask yourself if that's what you need or if you're better off with a plain edge.

Back