Absolute ignorance

Here's his address: idunlop@ecel.uwa.edu.au

He hasn't emailed me back. I hadn't noticed Steve had altered his post.

BTW, my wife works where she has an "edu" email address (she's a junior high school teacher). There is policy in place that restricts private use of their email system.

Ron@SOG

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 05-24-2001).]

Well IMHO I think this thread shows what a bunch of polite and intelligent people knifenuts are. Sure some of us lashed out and insulted the guy (incl me) but that is becuase he attacked us - we didn't send HIM the first email claiming he was sick for teaching economics. They were self defense instincts kicking in and they are not logical or polite. I think people were right to email him - I didn't as I think it was better for him to recieve a couple of well written, erudite replies than a bunch of angry 'screw you' type emails. like somebody said right/wrong is often down to public perception and majority opinion and in the current climate of an irresponsible media, PC gone crazy and gungrabbing politicians with hidden agendas we have to be thoughtful of the face we show to the 'general public.'
Stevef - you are an artist and there are plenty of people here who will agree. Good luck to you.

Well IMHO I think this thread shows what a bunch of polite and intelligent people knifenuts are. Sure some of us lashed out and insulted the guy (incl me) but that is becuase he attacked us - we didn't send HIM the first email claiming he was sick for teaching economics. They were self defense instincts kicking in and they are not logical or polite. I think people were right to email him - I didn't as I think it was better for him to recieve a couple of well written, erudite replies than a bunch of angry 'screw you' type emails. like somebody said right/wrong is often down to public perception and majority opinion and in the current climate of an irresponsible media, PC gone crazy and gungrabbing politicians with hidden agendas we have to be thoughtful of the face we show to the 'general public.'
Stevef - you are an artist and there are plenty of people here who will agree. Good luck to you.

If this guy thinks you're so sick, I'm surprised he e-mailed you; a quick Google search of his name and "economics" turned up his school's website with his picture, address, e-mail and office phone extension. Why would he want a sick person to have all of that info on him?

And if he was looking for wood, why did he go past your introduction page? He obviously did if he saw your work, because there are no pics on the intro page... seems like somebody looking to be offended.

Ryan

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

Now we have a face to put with a name. Click on his picture to see his credentials.

<A HREF="http://www.gsm.ecel.uwa.edu.au/gsm/staff/stafprof.htm#Dunlop" TARGET=_blank>
Dunlop.jpg
</A>

It's funny, ignorance doesn't show in a picture...they have to first speak.

I would strongly encourage anyone who does choose to write this individual to use respect and not lower yourself to his "hateful" tone.

Ron

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 05-24-2001).]

This situation doesn't make sense to me. It might be one of the professor's students actively trying to give the professor grief. I would expect that if the good professor would have sent a note he would have argued his case far more thoroughly and convincingly.

We should invite the guy to join us here and explain himself rather than bombard him with mail.

[This message has been edited by not2sharp (edited 05-24-2001).]

N2S,

It has confused me, too. The anger or disgust does seem odd. That is why I was hoping he would email me back.

Steve said:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have had severaal replies from Dr. Dunlop ( all with terrible spelling and grammar errors ), he is real I have checked his profile on the university webpage. Prior to posting on the forum I had mailed him and asked in a very polite manner that he might explain his reasons for sending me such a senseless and unprovoked email. All I have recieved in reply is more of the same unexplainable, opinionated garbage.</font>

I don't know what the protocol is for others (such as students, aides, or support staff) using his email, but regardless, either he is wrong by using university email for personal hate mail, or someone else is wrong by impersonating Dr. Dunlop. If I were Steve, I would be in contact with university officials.

I would be interested in more of what he has said. I don't know if Steve would want to share more with us (or if he would like to email excerpts to me). I can't imagine that he would want to come here to share.

This whole thing does seem a bit odd. Maybe Dr. Dunlop has had a recent bad experience with knives (maybe a close relative has recently been assaulted by a knife?). If that is the case, I could understand the "unprovoked" original email. That would be a good reason why not to send hate mail in return.

Just scratching my head…and still feeling that action is justified.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Anyone who doesn't think knives are evil hasn't seen my straight razor... You have to hold the damn thing tightly, because it twists so much trying to get at you like a snake! Stupid thing drinks more of my blood than 3 vampires. Uh oh, it's coming, I gotta run --- auuuuugh!!!!

If you all really want to freak this guy out, have the Vampire Gerbil send him an email.
biggrin.gif

Good Evening, etc.

The guy's an a-hole.
::::dares Morris to contradict me::::
wink.gif

Actually, I get Morris' point, but for someone to go out of their way to tell a guy that his choice of occupation is "sick", is outta line.

If he was making love dolls that were in the shape of pre-teens, well, that'd be different.

Besides, anyone that thinks knives and guns are bad are closed minded. I wonder how he cuts his steak... oh, no wait. I'm sure he's a card carrying member of pita, and would rather starve than eat a burger.
I wonder how he cuts his quiche!

Off to make new friends,
I remain,
VG
Meat Eating Vegitarian

------------------
Vampire Gerbil: Nosferatus Rodentus Moderatus; similar to a domestic gerbil, except for the odd accent and little black cape.
+ + + + + + + + +
There's all sortsa fun stuff at my Vampire Gerbil Dot Com Website!.
Knife Content: The Deadly & Scary Leatherman Micra Self Defense Site and The Ballistic Knife Page.

What most who defend the good (?) doctor's right to say his piece, and/or have a viewpoint overlook is essential. The elitists who issue such pronouncements as his consider only THEIR viewpoint and perspective valid. Anyone who disagrees' is "sick" or ignorant.

Interestingly, we can objectively determine which position is more acceptible, reasonable and just in a so-called "free" society. All we have to do is ask ourselves whether the doctor would defend his opposition in an equally respectful manner as those he castigates, and offer the same validity to their opinions as many of us have for his. I think not. And therein lies the danger to "freedom". While we profess and promote HIS right to think and say what he pleases, He on the other hand, considers our right to think and say what WE think as "sick".

The diatribe in his first pejorative spam exposes him for who and what he is. Unfortunately, defending him is like handing an assailant a weapon so they might have an "equal" oportunity to kill you.

Sometimes being "honorable" is self delusional, and being "fair" is suicidal. It's what elitist and leftists count on to subvert and usurp the very concepts we hold so dear.

"Excuse me, sir. It's not fair that you only have a knife with which to rob me. Here, allow me give you a gun so you will be equally matched against mine."

------------------
George
StarPD

I respectfully re-emailed Dr. Dunlop, asking for the courtesy of a reply. This was his response:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hi Ron

In view of some of the emails I have received on this matter I am inclined
to remain silent on this issue.

Ian Dunlop</font>

So, folks, that's where I stand with him...

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 05-25-2001).]

I have no prolem with sending him email. He DOES have a page on the web. Just be polite.

------------------
RayField Clement Jr.
rayfclement@yahoo.com

Ignorance isn't an absolute. It seems to have been raised to an art.God bless!

------------------
AKTI Member #A000934
"Always just one knife short of perfection!"

I'm a university-educated kind of "leftie"
myself, and I love my knives and will always
defend everyone's right to carry and use our
tools... they're important and part of our
legacy as a implement-building species! Who
knows, maybe I'm the exception to the rule,
but I some of my like-minded colleagues feel
much the same about this! So I can't say this
Doctor represents someone like me...
smile.gif

As an aside... our "liberal" government here,
despite some of their antics regarding gun
registration, has actually removed several of
the "banned" guns from their list, and have
completely left our knives alone! Though some
of them are bad, some aren't...

T.

I sent this URL to Dr. Dunlop so he could see what was being said and defend himself if he wished. I received an email from him and he seems like an okay guy. I think we should use this oppurtunity to show him why we are decent normal folks rather that to enforce any misconceptions he may have. Here is a copy of the email I received:

Hi Rev. Brian

Thanks for your message. I had come to realize such a site existed but did
not know where to look. It's existance was obvious from some of the emails I
have received and an unsuccessful attempt to send me a virus by email.

I have changed my email address (the old one still works) as I have been
accused of wasting tax payers funds by using my university address. I have
also been accused of being unfit to teach young students - a bit of a joke
as I only teach full-fee paying MBA students with an average age of about

I was wondering what your interest is? Do you believe that the swords should
be changed into plowshares? The problem with this is what would we do with
all the plowshares - perhaps we could change them into medicine for 3rd
world countries.

Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Best wishes.

Ian Dunlop

{edited for mu usual bad splelling
wink.gif
}

[This message has been edited by bteel (edited 05-27-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The problem with this is what would we do with all the plowshares - perhaps we could change them into medicine for 3rd world countries.</font>

What utter drivel. A hate-mailer is a hate-mailer.

-Razor

------------------
me.jpg

AKTI #A000845

In my philosophical studies I've learned I can ignore the "arguments" that aren't actually arguments. What I've seen is rhetoric devoid of any reason. Until this man, and men like him, can make a reasonable and logical case for their opinions then there's very little need for reasonable people to take him(them) seriously. We might be careful that people like him can seriously change society, and we should act against that, but on the level of reason, we need not bother ourselves with him.

A well-made knife is just as much a work of art as the beautiful windows in your average church. A broken sliver of glass can be a violent weapon just like a knife. He's undoubtedly commited what I'll call a category error in thinking of a knife as a weapon(Note that he didn't say this but implied it by his reference to guns). That, really, is the center of the issue(IMO).

[This message has been edited by Aphthartos (edited 05-28-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Maybe ignorance is bliss.
</font>

Well then, Professor Ian Dunlop must be a pretty happy guy.
tongue.gif

I wonder, though, if Professor Dunlop can reasonably defend his position:

- "Gun makers are sick."
- Steve F. "is sick."
- Knife-making "is certainly not art."

If so, I'd love to gather some insight into his reasoning. Perhaps he can indulge us with a response and we may all learn a thing or two. Or maybe he, a member of academia in his tireless pursuit of knowledge, can learn a thing or two from us.

[This message has been edited by Wulf (edited 05-28-2001).]

Back