Adamas lock question

Hi all,

Recently was gifted a full size cruwear Adamas for my birthday. I love it. However after watching several reviews, I have seen that this model and the mini version both seem more prone to lock disengagement with sudden pressure on the spine than any other benchmade model. Which is frustrating, as this was marketed as a heavy duty capable knife. From what I've seen it appears the issue is due to the larger axis lock on the Adamas models not engaging as far up on the tang as other benchmades (To the best of my knowledge from what I've seen I think that's what causes this problem if anyone knows better please chime in). I don't plan on using it for battoning, but I want to have peace of mind and know it won't close on me if being used for heavier duty tasks.

The lockup appears fairly solid and I've thought about testing it with some hard spine wacks or battoning just to test it, but I'm worried I'll damage the knife.

What do you all think about all this?

Thanks

The lock disengagement in the mini Adamas occurs when the spine is repeatedly whacked with a hard object causing the axis to “jump” up out of the lockface. It doesn’t occur through normal use, no matter how hard you push on it with your thumb. In my opinion, it’s a non-issue because “batoning” isn’t a key function I need in any folding knife and if it was, I’d disengage the lock and partially fold the knife first… but if you bought your Adamas to smack into things with a 2x4 with lock engaged, you might want to try something else. Sort of one of those “non-issues” made into a big deal by way of YouTube knife reviewers being dramatic for likes and subscribes.

Search batoning with a folding knife. Most people recommend doing so with the knife unlocked to prevent damage. I’m not recommending batoning with a folder but since you asked.

The adamas is a heavy duty folder but it’s still a folding knife. It’s designed for heavy duty cutting. Key word cutting.

Like any locking folding knife, the lock is a safety measure not a guaranteed mechanism to prevent closure.

I believe it's a non-issue myself. I wouldn't do any hard spine whacks because it's nearly abuse and it seems like a great way to induce blade play. In normal use how would your ever violently smack the spine? Now you might bump the spine in normal use but I can't imagine that would ever overcome the lock. I have two mini Adamas models and I have rapped them against objects with the kind of moderate force that I would expect to encounter in normal use with no problems.

Also I've seen others attribute this issue to the Axis bar not riding forward enough. The problem with that notion though is it sits almost exactly as far forward as it does on other models like the 940 and Bugout. I will say this though. My first mini Adamas is from May 2021. My second is from July 2022. The July 2022 knife's lock bar sits noticeably further up the tang when locked. Did Benchmade tweak the Adamas after the feedback, or is it just normal variation in manufacturing? I don't know. But it's notably different. Newer mini Adamas on left below.

jYfygrJ.jpeg

Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely agree that batonning is not something I would do with my knife, I just feel that it SHOULD be able to. And if worst case scenario I had to use this knife in self defense I'd wanna make sure it wouldn't close during a stab or anything.

Here is a video posted by benchmade of the griptilian batonning and spine whacking no problem:

I feel if a griptilian is marketed to be able to survive this, the much heavier duty Adamas should be able to as well. Thanks D Delta-v for posting those pics. Mine has a lockup similar to the older Adamas pictured.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely agree that batonning is not something I would do with my knife, I just feel that it SHOULD be able to. And if worst case scenario I had to use this knife in self defense I'd wanna make sure it wouldn't close during a stab or anything.

Here is a video posted by benchmade of the griptilian batonning and spine whacking no problem:

I feel if a griptilian is marketed to be able to survive this, the much heavier duty Adamas should be able to as well. Thanks D Delta-v for posting those pics. Mine has a lockup similar to the older Adamas pictured.
Define “survive”… because many people partially fold the knife before batoning so as not to damage the knife lockup.

In any case, I recommend just getting a different knife. If someone cares enough about the issue to start a thread here, it’s likely not going to be something said person easily forgets. Enough people here have provided you with words of assurance, but you seem still fixated on what you’re making out to be an issue.

If you want to Joe X your folder I think you should look into a 4max scout and call it a day. Adamas for regular use as stated should be just fine.

Something else to keep in mind is you can find videos of most lock types failing spine whacks at some point: compression locks, liner locks, frame locks all included. The Axis generally fares better than most from what I've seen. I don't think I've seen a Triad lock fail a spine whack so there's that option, but I much prefer the convenience of the Axis lock in real use over a hypothetical situation. They're all folding knives though. They do have limits.

If you're that worried, give it a couple of thonks and see if folds. Keep your fingers out of the way though. Mine have done fine. Batoning I won't even consider with a folder.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I do feel a bit better about it. I know not neccessary based on what you all are saying but I couldn't resist so I did give it a couple medium spine whacks on my knee and it was fine so I think it's alright. And while I respectfully disagree with some of your opinions on the matter as well, I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I do feel a bit better about it. I know not neccessary based on what you all are saying but I couldn't resist so I did give it a couple medium spine whacks on my knee and it was fine so I think it's alright. And while I respectfully disagree with some of your opinions on the matter as well, I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.
For peace of mind , if you still doubt your Adamas , the Cold Steel 4Max Scout is relatively inexpensive and made for your extreme hard use enjoyment . :cool: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The July 2022 knife's lock bar sits noticeably further up the tang when locked
Nice catch, great pics, obvious size difference between both Black Class Mini Adamas's, and Blue Class 940 tells me the Mini parts are bigger then Grip; Mini looks bigger then a 915 Triage a son ownes. Wonder if Mini parts come from big brother?
you can find videos of most lock types failing spine whacks at some point: compression locks, liner locks, frame locks all included.
Last ten seconds tell Benchmade's testing story numerically and with parts inspection for the 275 D2 Adamas (what 2 of us use).
Practical battoning test with lots of right angles between 2x4 and 275-D2, and these tests were why I trust ours and promote the Adamas with family n friends if they cannot carry fixed.

It is easy to see how all locks fail, with exception being Demko's Triad, as Delta-v mentions. When Demko was testing 1st gen 4Max, he mentioned pinning knives open through liners and scales with blade sandwiched in middle, to make folding assembly even stronger.
Define “survive”… because many people partially fold the knife before batoning so as not to damage the knife lockup.
I trained kids to unlock blade if need for battoning presented itself.
Whacking an Axis lock knife in one direction harder then combined springs tension value might compress springs. Then the moment after the whack, other forces come into play (battoning angles, wood stick, vibration, hand torquing or pulling blade out of battoning material, etc) while the springs unload. And during the springs unloading moment, maybe the lock bar is out of relation to blade, and blade moves freely. Our 275-D2 opens number 10 tins no problems with blade or lock.

So, I'm trying to think of a good test for my new Mini Adamas that will assure myself the knife locks up well enough for me to use.

Does anyone have any ideas? Batoning is out of the question. I don't want to do any spine wacks either. Not going to ruin a $300 knife. And because I already know that a spine wack will open the lock.

I'm going to order some cut proof gloves, though, for sure.

I don’t mean to suggest something wild and crazy.. but how about just using it as intended? It isn’t going to fail. It’s a Benchmade, it’s built for hard use. Why beat the crap out of it just for some unquantifiable measure of self-satisfaction?

There are plenty of torture test videos on benchmades. Why do it to your own knife if someone else already did it? Just my thoughts. If you break it trying to push it to the limits, you’re not going to use it anyway so what is to be gained?

The lock springs are pulling constantly towards the spine and you have to counter pull them away from it to disengage the lock.

How do you get "sudden pressure on the spine" when using the knife as a cutting tool? If you have to use your other hand to push on the spine as you cut, then the task calls for a different cutting tool. 🤔

Back