Adamas lock question

We all crack jokes about the “butterfly tax” on BMs, but that axis lock is a very confidence-inspiring lock.

So, I'm trying to think of a good test for my new Mini Adamas that will assure myself the knife locks up well enough for me to use.

Does anyone have any ideas? Batoning is out of the question. I don't want to do any spine wacks either. Not going to ruin a $300 knife. And because I already know that a spine wack will open the lock.

I'm going to order some cut proof gloves, though, for sure.

Cut-proof gloves are designed to prevent blades from accidentally slicing through them and are designed to be a protective layer for people using knives in a normal manner. They are not designed to protect the wearer from cuts that could occur from using a knife improperly or with excessive force. Most importantly, they are not designed to prevent pointed objects from puncturing.

Please use your knife in a normal fashion, minding all normal safety standards. Do not expect a cut-proof glove to prevent injuries that could occur from using a knife improperly.

We all crack jokes about the “butterfly tax” on BMs, but that axis lock is a very confidence-inspiring lock.
I agree with that. The Axis is still my favorite, and it's hard to justify the term "Butterfly Tax" when you have Chinese knives selling for over $600.00!

As far as all this You Tube testing - Maybe some of those guys should drive their pickup trucks into a brick wall to "test" the airbag;)

I have ordered my cut proof gloves. Also I have watched a really nice You Tube video, the guy was quite reasonable with his testing. He actually did some light batoning but mostly just hard use. My observation thus far is the lock on the Mini Adamas can disengage following a moderate or severe shock to the knife: batoning, spine whack, or pommel strike. Now, I do not understand how such a shock can cause the lock to disengage but I have seen it happen enough to believe it is happening. Of course, I have not done anything to give my knife such a shock. My use of my mini adamas at work won't be involving any such shocks, either. The Cruwear blade did chip at one point during the video but they guy was hammering the blade through some wire. It did cut the wire, though. He then sharpened the damage out of the blade easily. My point here is that some video tests are quite reasonable, easy to follow along and see the knife being used which leaves no question about what is going on.

I will get back here when I think of some tests to perform. Thus far no one has posted a good and appropriate test of my new knife.

Stephen

If you're intending to baton, whack the spine, do pommel strikes, and hammer through wire with your Adamas folder, just don't. That's not what it was designed for. Buy and use a fixed blade - or wire cutters - for such activities.

Always use the right tool for the job. Don't buy a flathead screwdriver and expect it to perform well as a chisel or pry bar.

People need to stop watching these extreme testing videos on YouTube and expecting their folding knives to split logs, chop down trees, chip cement, pry nails, and cut sheet metal. A pocket knife is a cutting tool, not an axe, not a splitting wedge, not a chisel, not a pry bar, and not wire cutters.

But if you really believe that your folding knife needs to perform tasks it wasn't designed for, invest in some really good eye protection.

Here’s a test - use it like you would normally use a folder knife. Forget the YouTube idiots crap. Or don’t, I don’t really give a shit, as long as whatever you’re thinking of doing, you’re not thinking of doing it to my knife.

I @$#&*%hate YouTube.

Here’s a test - use it like you would normally use a folder knife. Forget the YouTube idiots crap. Or don’t, I don’t really give a shit, as long as whatever you’re thinking of doing, you’re not thinking of doing it to my knife.

I @$#&*%hate YouTube.
I love You Tube because I won't do something that will hurt my knife.

I was cutting some heavy plastic bands wrapped around a lift of pvc pipe yesterday and I pretty much had to use some twisting force to turn the blade so I could cut. That was a test of sorts.

Only an impact, as I have found so far, might cause the lock to open, as I wrote above.

The point of a test is to use the knife hard to find out. This way I have an understanding of what the knife is capable of. Some posters are just angry and I guess have forgotten the whole point.

I love You Tube because I won't do something that will hurt my knife.

I was cutting some heavy plastic bands wrapped around a lift of pvc pipe yesterday and I pretty much had to use some twisting force to turn the blade so I could cut. That was a test of sorts.

Only an impact, as I have found so far, might cause the lock to open, as I wrote above.

The point of a test is to use the knife hard to find out. This way I have an understanding of what the knife is capable of. Some posters are just angry and I guess have forgotten the whole point.

Are you testing the knife or using the knife? When you say that you watch YouTube videos to discover how to test your knife, there is an inherent implication that you are going to do something dumb with your knife. When you say that you used your knife to cut some plastic bands at work, that's not a test, that's just normal use. Maybe the problem isn't that other users are misunderstanding you, but that you are using misleading terms?

Batoning should be done with a fixed blade. I wouldn’t be doing any spine wacks either or any other knife that’s not what it was designed for. I have complete confidence if you use this knife how it was intended to be used you will not have any issues . Just enjoy your knife brother it’s one hell of a knife.

This seems like the place to ask: Blade HQ has a video showing an adamas with a second safety on the back, that when pushed forward, won’t let the axis bar slide back and also won’t allow the knife to be opened When it’s closed. I had never heard of that. Was that on older models?

While I can't comment on the safety, I can say after using the full size for a while now I thoroughly enjoy the knife.

A few nit-picks.

I wish the lock traveled further forward on the lock ramp. Hasn't ever failed though.

I also wish the spring had more tension. The knife opens (in my opinion) too easy.

When banging the knife around, it is sorta easy to make the blade centering wander. A couple of whacks on the opposite scale and it goes back to center. I messed with the screws a bit but it doesn't seem to change this characteristic.

Love it overall... it's used pretty often.

This seems like the place to ask: Blade HQ has a video showing an adamas with a second safety on the back, that when pushed forward, won’t let the axis bar slide back and also won’t allow the knife to be opened When it’s closed. I had never heard of that. Was that on older models?
That's the automatic version of the Adamas. The 2750.

The autos and assisted have them. I have one on my Boost. The lock slides forward and pushed a tab behind the crossbar. I like having a locked model for when I take the daughter sledding as I carry it in a chest pocket

The autos and assisted have them. I have one on my Boost. The lock slides forward and pushed a tab behind the crossbar. I like having a locked model for when I take the daughter sledding as I carry it in a chest pocket
Thanks, I guess I didn’t study enough. I’m learning a lot from this thread. Mainly that there are people who would actually baton with a folder. Even though I have a couple Cold Steel Triads that would probably take it, I wouldn’t try it. Actually in the 60 years since my dad gave me my first pocket knife, I’ve hunted, camped and hiked all over western North America, been in a few survival situations where I’d be screwed if I didn’t get a fire going, and never needed to baton anything. As for the Axis lock, I was with a guy who was cutting those hard plastic green bands off lumber and his benchmade closed on his knuckle. While I wasn’t familiar with Axis locks at the time, it seemed to be functioning correctly when we examined it later, but we could make it fail again with the spine against the lumber, the edge against the band, and levering outward. I suppose you could call that improper use, but it’s something that lots of guys do.

Back