1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addicted

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, May 12, 2018.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I have a few bad addictions. I'm addicted to Swiss Army Knives, Barlow Knives, and Buck 110's, can't seem to kick the habits, or get enough of them!
    Anyone else have problems like this?

Rob Babcock and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  2. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    My hunting and fishing buddy, who has only a handful of knives, tells me I'm "Addicted to the blade."

I'm spread out in interests. Traditionals only, for me. Puukot and leukut, 110s, Opinels (love these!) and other French knives. I tend to go for shapes and styles that just grab me rather than multiple versions of a single type. I use them all, so there isn't a showcase of, say, 110s through the ages. For instance, I just pulled the trigger on a used Northwoods Hawthorne Jack. Why? I love the shape and the blade style, the red micarta, and the traditional appeal.

But like you, I'm an addict.

Zieg

JK Knives likes this.
  3. Mtblair

Mtblair

Dec 21, 2013
    Prefer the 112 over the 110. Always pick them up when I see them at yard sales. I’ve gifted them to plenty of family & friends.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JK Knives and BITEME like this.
  4. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    tools - I'm addicted to tools.
    hand tools, power tools, knives, guns, etc....

I tell people we built our house (not had it built to our spec) to help justify my tool habit.

protourist likes this.
  5. Simplejack

Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    Im addicted to leather pocket slips. And that ones fancy

JK Knives likes this.
  6. rdrogers

rdrogers Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Exact same three knives for me, too. I’ll expand on the Barlow and say I just like a good jack knife. Have a SAK coming in the mail Monday and I already have more than I need.

Fly fishing and tying gear. So many gadgets and do-dads to play with... Amazon Prime doesn’t help with this when I can get damn near anything in two days.

protourist, JK Knives and Simplejack like this.
  7. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Backpacks. I have a stupid number of packs and can still find a reason to buy another. That and fixed blade knives in a never ending search for "the one".

JK Knives likes this.
  8. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Where do I start? I've slowly been curing my addiction to knives by trading more and buying less. I don't know how many axes/hatchets a person needs to own for them to be considered an addiction but last count was over 50 hanging in the basement. Not sure of the total number with several stashed in various bags and vehicles plus a few more in the outbuilding. Some people may think I have an addiction to fishing rods but they don't fully understand what is needed. My fly rods range from a 2wt to 9wt and from 5 1/2' to 9'. My spinning gear covers and even wider spread from ultralight freshwater to surf casting rigs. It's been a couple of years since I bought a 22 but I LOVE them both handguns and rifles.

protourist, JK Knives and Simplejack like this.
  9. Mtblair

Mtblair

Dec 21, 2013
    Made with part of my old Army issued boots.

JK Knives and Simplejack like this.
  10. Simplejack

Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    Thats awesome. My wife took my old jungles amd made flower pots out of them. The only black ones I have left are my jump boots for the dress uniform. The day i sign my dd214 they will become pocket slips.

Mtblair, protourist and JK Knives like this.
  11. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this "sickness".

Simplejack likes this.
  12. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    I've even started "corrupting" my grandchildren. 3 of them have the old model Victorinox Soldier stamped with the year of their birth, (none for Emily, they discontinued the model), and all 4 have a Buck 110 with the year stamp for when they were born.

Simplejack and Mtblair like this.
  13. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    I like a Barlow, myself.

[​IMG]

The Buck 110 is far too much for me, but I love my Buck 55. I have a few SAKs and use/carry them almost constantly.

I'm really addicted to Peanuts, though!

[​IMG]

The Bermuda Green one sitting on top is in my pocket about 18 hours a day every day. I bought it the day before my daughter was born, and I've carried it since.

14. Simplejack

Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    Im also highly addicted to copehagen and any mam toys really. My wife says my gun collection is out of control.

JK Knives likes this.
  15. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    I kicked my Stainless Steel Thermos bottle addiction and seem to have replaced it with a 12 ga. pump shotgun problem.

Rupestris, protourist, mqqn and 2 others like this.
  16. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Connie collects mini knives. mqqn got her started when he gave her a tiny Spyderco, then mykel m sent a tiny knife he made, and its grown from there. Her EDC is a Victorinox Classic Edelweiss model, that she uses constantly.
    My daughter Alison collects older Benchmades, especially the Pinnacle model.

mqqn and Simplejack like this.
  17. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    like many here, I am addicted to knives. While I have scaled back my ebay habit to almost no buying of knives, I still buy knives at flea markets, antique stores, and online retailers. I have far many more knives than i could ever use. I've even gotten into customs, which is even more dangerous.

I guess I am also addicted to planning repair/mod knife projects. I set them aside for when I can get the time to work on them. (which is never). I have a pile of them that I have great ideas for, just never really have the time to start them.

JK Knives likes this.
  18. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    You need to find time to mod more knives. The three I have of yours are some of my favorites.

glennbad, Wurrwulf and fishiker like this.
  19. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    An excellent problem!

JK Knives likes this.
  20. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I love the old Buck 110 and 112 - favoring the 112 as that was what I wound up carrying in high school after losing the original 110 I had been carrying.
    A few of my Bucks -
    Chuck Buck Chairman's Commemorative - I think I got this from John....
    [​IMG]
    110 Fifth variation from 1972 -
    [​IMG]

110 from 2009 with Antler cutout -
    [​IMG]

The 2012 BCCI 110 Tactical -
    [​IMG]

Buck 110 re-scaled by JK
    [​IMG]

How about a first gen, mint in box 112 Micarta Ranger -
    [​IMG]

And another slightly used first gen 112 Micarta - this one was carried by a BF member's LEO father.
    [​IMG]

And a fairly hard to find 112 Shedua (top in this picture)
    [​IMG]

I also have a couple of beautiful David Yellowhorse 112s - he does some amazing work - need to get some pictures of those.

I also collect Busses, Zero Tolerance and Kershaw, Traditionals - always try for the BF Traditional knife each year, and I carry Victorinox Waiters - and have a small collection of those.

I also have a pretty fair number of JK Handmade Knives......

best

mqqn

Mtblair, glennbad and JK Knives like this.