Adjustable Sheath,,no hardware

Hay guys I posted this in a different file but this site is so big i thought you guys over here might not have seen it.

let me know what you think.
page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

Skip

yup,,,,,,,,,rotton old men do that to see what will happen
its a poor mans patent,,

What’s wrong is it too complicated for you?

Nope. It's a stupid idea.

To use it I gotta have a concave section on my knife handle. My knives don't have one.
I won't go change knife handles to make them fit in a new sheath.
And I won't buy a knife with a specially shaped handle just so it fits in a special sheath.

The standard is: Handle is shaped to fit hand. sheath is shaped to fit handle.
You want: handle is shaped to fit sheath. Hand now has to adapt to handle.
Nope.

too easy,,the concave index's the fingers
and the point is to leave the handle exposed,,without a keeper strap

wet mold a sheath,,then hang,,,2 pounds on the knife,,inverted,,(handle exposed)
mine can adjust up to 15 pounds,,,then back down to 1 at will.

What's with all the commas?

Your design only will work with a knife that has concave bolsters. Most knives don't have that. I am sure it works fine for that particular knife, but it would not work with any of mine.

Hey Skip, That's a simple, clever, and low-tech solution to meet your design spec's (leather sheath, no retainer strap, adjustable tension) to fit your knife. As others noted, it does require a concave bolster area on the handle, so it is somewhat knife-specific. A tech-junky could point that a fitted kydex sheath is also knife-specific and likewise requires some sort of contour on the knife/gun/tool/flashlight to snap around. ;)

Since it looks like friction is all that holds the pressure piece (rolled fabric) in place on your sheath, have you ever experienced it wiggling loose or falling out?

Also, the rivet being exposed to the blade worries me in terms of scratching or bi-metallic reaction.

first Rocjok,,the piece of cloth or pig hyde never moves because it is pinched between the two flesh sides in the pocket,,,the rivet is the copper "golf-tee"style rivits (name unknown) but it is counter sunk into the leather and there is an air gap between the head of the rivit and the blade,,as the knife goes in or out of the sheath only the very tip of the blade comes in contatct with the rivet.

now to nozh2002; i love the colors,,,and it appears to hold the blade furm,,i would ask about the protection you have for the stitching,,
but what i am touting is that in the dark,,in the rain,,as fast as you might want to produce a knife,,all you need do with my system is "grab-n-go" no need to re-adjust your grip.
PS i know i can't spell to save my

I like it. A cool idea, looks practical and easy to make. I may do this for my mora.

can you show a picture of the "mora",,does it have a round handle??
if you carve the concave hollows with a 3"inch wheel it gives a 3/4" inch wide swath at about 5/16" depth of cut. this makes a nice gentle cup(not too abrupt)

now to nozh2002; i love the colors,,,and it appears to hold the blade furm,,i would ask about the protection you have for the stitching,,
but what i am touting is that in the dark,,in the rain,,as fast as you might want to produce a knife,,all you need do with my system is "grab-n-go" no need to re-adjust your grip.

I tie stitches very tight and this is enough, it is more secure then additional layer. Of course edge can cut through leather, but stitches are not exposed to edge.

grab-n-go... Well, there are many different types of sheath and different approaches so it is matter of personal preferences. But in your case handle is also covered by sheath may be not as radical as in my case, but it is not like knife is jumping in your hand by itself. Anyway I do not consider reajusting grip as a problem for myself.

Don't get me wrong - you sheath are magnificent. They not only has this trick to tighten them on the handle, but also looks great and match knife pretty well.

Thanks, Vassili.

I tie stitches very tight and this is enough, it is more secure then additional layer.
Thanks, Vassili.

So what your saying is that your stitching is better than a welt? :confused:

Any design not including a welt is just not safe, no matter how tight you make the stitches theres always the chance of the knife cutting into them. But, what do I know? :eek:

i agree with Leatherman about the welt but even on the standard welt the blade can get in next to the threads,,,with my design you might say there is a welt of a different fation.
inside the blade pocket,,the belt loop goes allthe way to the bottom of the pocket,,
this extra pannel of leather keeps the cutting edge higher then the sheath stitchinng
so it never comes in contatct with the thread,,
also: the champfered edge of the bolsters won't let the knife bump aginst the opening of the sheath and the thick bolster forms a "Blade stop" in the sheath so the knife cant be pushed in too far.

i agree with Leatherman about the welt but even on the standard welt the blade can get in next to the threads,,,with my design you might say there is a welt of a different fation.
inside the blade pocket,,the belt loop goes allthe way to the bottom of the pocket,,
this extra pannel of leather keeps the cutting edge higher then the sheath stitchinng
so it never comes in contatct with the thread,,
also: the champfered edge of the bolsters won't let the knife bump aginst the opening of the sheath and the thick bolster forms a "Blade stop" in the sheath so the knife cant be pushed in too far.

...Lethearman is in my ignore list, have no idea what is he talking about. I think this fact atract him to my posts, for some reason. I even have to left SwampRat forum because of his "attention". I will have to do this here also I guess. For some reason he do not fill to ask for excuse for what he did initially, which force me to ignore him...

Anyway, the only place where edge can contact thread in my case is small area right near entrance, while it is inside the fact that sheath so tight will not allow blade to play inside and even come close to stitches, as well as will not let knife to go further.

Thanks, Vassili.

So are you saying the only solution to make your sheaths work is to carve hollows in the handles? Not many people are going to do that to their knives, certainly not to any nice knives.

nozh2002:
Leatherman has asked you what the whole ignoring thing is all about before, but you ignored him. Maybe he doesn't know what you are talking about.

Back