Adjustable Sheath,,no hardware

Not sure why the nozh fellow thinks I am following him around, may be delusions of granduer? At one point I had nothing but help to give and he thought I was dissing him, guess its a language thing? :confused:

How old is this guy anyway?? 16?

mike i'll let the others hash out thier probllems while we talk,,
but you are right a concave bolster works best with this sheath,,
I saw some KA-Bar knives with concave bolster area,,they should work well with this design.
they have one called a wart-hog (i think) but the blade is too wide,,you might get a four or five pound sheath with that modle,,but I'm sure thay have a tanto design that would work perfict,,could almost wear it inverted.
Skip

nozh2002:
Leatherman has asked you what the whole ignoring thing is all about before, but you ignored him. Maybe he doesn't know what you are talking about.

This is BS. Eric had to lock that thread just to stop him even I after put him in ignore list first. Common, we are not children any more to play this "Innocence" and "Don't know" games.

Thanks, Vassili.

I just had an idea about the rivet thing. What if you ran a couple of lines of stitching across there instead of the rivet. It would even make a more stable platform for the roll to butt up against, ie a flat line instead of a round rivet, and you wouldnt have to countersink for the rivet.

I would worry a little about the edge of the knife running along the leather, what weight do you use? If its too thin (and that knife looks really sharp) you might cut through with a mis timed sheathing. Just a thought. I make sheaths full time so its in my blood to worry about how a sheath holds up under abuse, a lot of my work is over in the sand box and those folks are hard on thier stuff. ;) So I might be over thinking here, the intended use has a lot to do with how sturdy to make your stuff.

EDIT: Holy cow! I didnt look at the second page before replying, wow. Talk about a huge misunderstanding! Maybe someday someone will explain that I never meant to disrespect this guy. I only tried to help, called him by a nickname common around here, and got in trouble, ah well. :eek:

I'll answer your question,,he will need to fend for him self,,

I considered stitching the belt loop closed,,,then the Diesel Mechanic in me kicked in,,
and i started to considder how in what condition it would be in after,,,,mmm ten years of use.
If the stitching goes bad on the belt loop,,then how would i repair it??
i would need to unstitch the entire sheath and try to tear the "Barge" boot glue to open the pocket before i could start a repair.
But if the rivit brakes,,i fish a new one down in its place,,slide a bar into the pocket as an anvil and pean it over.

second question: i use 7-8 ounce leather to form the sheath.
also,,after all is done,,in the very tip of the sheath,,i run a nail into the fold to clear out any glue plug so water or sand/ dirt,,ect. will have a "clean out" hole.
Skip
PS: the shim doesn't go down to the rivit,,in the space behind the belt loop,,you could stash a coupple of bills for an emergency.

I wouldnt worry too awful much about the stitching, my first sheaths are still out there going strong after more than a decade. It would take some serious abuse to cause it to fail. The reason I dont like rivets inside a sheath is that green goo stuff, it always creeps in there no matter what I do. Nasty smelly stuff.

7/8 is good, especially for pouch sheaths eh? Any thicker and they really dont want to bend right.

Your money stash is thinking ouside the box, good work! :)

This is BS. Eric had to lock that thread just to stop him even I after put him in ignore list first. Common, we are not children any more to play this "Innocence" and "Don't know" games.

Thanks, Vassili.

Vassili-

You had problems with misunderstanding a poster's meaning before, remember? I read the thread in question and am confident that Leatherman meant to do nothing but help and to offer advice. As english is not your first language, you should make certain that you know a poster's intent before you decide that he is out to get you. He was offering you advice in his area of expertise and you treated him like he was attacking and insulting you personally. I believe it is an honest miscommunication on your part but it is simply not right, my friend.

I believe that you have a lot of valuable input to offer on this site but no one will take you seriously as long as you maintain this belief that people are out to get you when, in reality, it is simply a misunderstanding of a language that is not your native tongue.

For the record, I've also never heard anyone use the word "bubba" as an insult, no matter what wikipedia has to say on the matter. Where I grew up, bing called Bubba is a compliment; its something that someone will call you when they accept you as a friend, or at least as a decent person. So relax, man. You made some good sheaths; Leatherman was just trying to help you make them even better.

Vassili-

You had problems with misunderstanding a poster's meaning before, remember? I read the thread in question and am confident that Leatherman meant to do nothing but help and to offer advice. As english is not your first language, you should make certain that you know a poster's intent before you decide that he is out to get you. He was offering you advice in his area of expertise and you treated him like he was attacking and insulting you personally. I believe it is an honest miscommunication on your part but it is simply not right, my friend.

I believe that you have a lot of valuable input to offer on this site but no one will take you seriously as long as you maintain this belief that people are out to get you when, in reality, it is simply a misunderstanding of a language that is not your native tongue.

For the record, I've also never heard anyone use the word "bubba" as an insult, no matter what wikipedia has to say on the matter. Where I grew up, bing called Bubba is a compliment; its something that someone will call you when they accept you as a friend, or at least as a decent person. So relax, man. You made some good sheaths; Leatherman was just trying to help you make them even better.

Bubba or not this is does not matter, it is again pretty simple to make it like it is about one single word. Not at all, it is all about his arrogant behaviour when he first blame me for ruining (butchering) knife, when I sharpen it choosing offensive tone then he blame me or being angry for not understanding him and again and again, acting as a child, but never take responsibility and ask for excuse. Again Eric had to close that thread to stop him, so it is not only my observation.

This is not words of help or wisdom, and I see he is continue to work hard to make me look bad taking over my thread etc. But what can I do? The other guy whoom I put in ignore list after this post about poor initial sharpness of SR MUM at least left me alone, but not him. I am already not going to Swamp Rat forum, I had to left several thread because he taking them over, posting more post there then I etc... I guess he just want me out of here. instead of just ask for excuse for misunderstanding.

Let see two example:

"I am sorry, I did not mean any bad when I use this word."
"You do not know English and completely misunderstand me!"

Which one is arrogant?

In first place I say, "No big deal, it is because I do not English well, forget about it"
In second case, I will not have any business with this any more.

And if you remember this thread, I did not put him in ignore list right after he called me bubba, so it is not about it at all.

Thanks, Vassili.

Sorry Skip, looks like nozh has hijacked your thread and made it his own little agenda, I really am sorry. If he could read all of what I have ever written, he'd not have this tone. Again, sorry for the hijack. :(

I am sure this type of bolster pinching sheath could be made with a regular welt type sheath as well? definitely not a bad design for any knives featuring those bolsters. Maybe a version could be made to work with skeletonized knives for leather kneck knife sheaths?

With all the sheath makers here together I have a question .Has enybody tried to stitch a
'sheath on the spine of the blade to stop the blade cutting the stitches? I'm not a leather worker but I have had to carry afew knives backwords to stop cutting the stiches

With all the sheath makers here together I have a question .Has enybody tried to stitch a
'sheath on the spine of the blade to stop the blade cutting the stitches? I'm not a leather worker but I have had to carry afew knives backwords to stop cutting the stiches

I thin this is good idea. Only to prevent edge to hit leather when it is deep in you may stitch that part also. But it will solve problem of edge hitting thread near entrance - which I do not see as a problem if stitching done right. At least I have not experienced this yet.

Thanks, Vassili.

Mike,,,yes this idea can be adpted to other style knives,,,by using two pieces of leather it opens up more possabilities. (the belt loop and blade pocket)

Mordi,, stitching on the spine side might make it dificult to shape the oppisit side of the sheath unless you are dealing with a "sheeps foot" blade.

for everyone that makes sheaths,,take an idea and make it better or figure a new way all together then share it with everyone,,find my flaws and fix them on your style.
a sheath for a show piece has different needs then a "working" knife.

a good argument points out flaws,,so come on friends disagree with me and we will both learn.
Skip

I've worked it over a lot on the backwards idea and I just couldnt make it work and look right. Skip is right on the money, its just difficult with all but a sheeps foot shape.

A good strong leather welt will protect the stitches better than anything else, aside from cutting a slab of micarta into the shape, and yep, I've seen it. I havent tried it myself but it looks like a real pain to shape. But it sure looks like a foolproof way to protect them stitches. :)

well this session and its banter got over 700 views.
has anyone tried it yet?
Skip
(just when you thought it would disappear....)

Back