1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Admiral steel

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Ferret, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Ferret

Ferret

Jan 20, 2000
    How are they nowadays? Are they still shipping late and charging a lot? I'm after wide (rather than thick) ATS34 and thought I might get some when I'm Stateside...

2. itrade

itrade

Jul 3, 2002
    I've only ordered from them twice. But both times the steel shipped same or next day and was here on schedule. Once, was an Internet order and once over the phone. I worked with a nice guy.

FWIW, It was S30V.

Hope that helps,

Steve

3. Ferret

Ferret

Jan 20, 2000
    Thank you Steve, it does :)

4. kile

kile

Mar 19, 1999
    I have ordered from them four or five times, except for the fact that they keep shipping my steel to my parents house.(I was watching their house a couple of summers ago, and I used to have all my tools in their garage so I had everything shipped there, but now I live across town) I have put my new address on the last few ordeers, but it still gets sent to my parents everytime. It has never taken more than a week to get anything I have ordered from them. They usually give me extra steel also. When I have ordered three foot lenghts, I have gotten close to 4 foot bars, I also got some extra 1084 the last time I ordered.
    Kyle Fuglesten

5. Tom Militano

Tom Militano Banned BANNED

Feb 27, 1999
    Ask to speak to the gentleman that handles the knifemakers steel and ask what the shipping charges are.

6. STUMP

STUMP

Aug 27, 2001
    I ordered 15 feet of ATS-34 a couple of months ago. Shipping was promp and I had no problems.

7. tom mayo

tom mayo

Jan 27, 1999
    personally, every bar I have gotten from them have been less than satisfactory.........I really wonder if they dont buy seconds from the mills!

8. RDT

RDT

Dec 17, 1999
    I've bought a whole bunch from them and a bunch of times. The first time I ordered I only ordered one 12" bar and they charged more than most do. However, later on I found it harder to get steel like BG43 thick and wide, also other stainless steels of wider bars than normal. They had it all and shipped promptly and it all arrived in a timely fashion. As for the quality, it has been excellent 98% of the time. There were a couple of pieces here and there that were less than good but I made do with them, no problem. Admiral is a good place, thus far.....RDT

9. Ferret

Ferret

Jan 20, 2000
    Tom, if you check this thread again, in what way was the steel crap? I'm getting the steel for strange shaped fixed blades and can live with a few pits and such...

10. Mike Hull

Mike Hull

Nov 25, 2000
    Dav, yeah, a lot of people have been experiencing voids, pits, and strange "blotches" that can't be covered up, even with the bead blaster. There were 3-4 threads at CKD about this. You might ask Terry Summers at Admiral(the knife steel guy)and see what he has to say.
    The alternative would be to go with 154CM from Crucible Steel. Bruce DiVita is the knife steel contact. 1-800-365-1168, toll free in this country anyway. [email protected] .

11. Ferret

Ferret

Jan 20, 2000
    Thanks Mike, and thanks again for all youse guys feedback :cool:

12. Nathan House

Nathan House

Feb 14, 2000
    I just got some D2 from Bruce,received my order in 2 days
    and Bruce is a real good guy to work with.

13. tom mayo

tom mayo

Jan 27, 1999
    what mike said, very poor quality, especially on the surface.......

like I said, it looked like seconds to me........I ordered from them more than once, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

If you want some bg42 email tru grit and have them bring it to vegas, they will have a couple of tables there and are GOOD PEOPLE!!

14. tom mayo

tom mayo

Jan 27, 1999
    ps.......I buy all my steel from crucible..........bruce and the boys rock! and their products are the BEST!

15. rlinger

rlinger

Mar 29, 2002
    I have only ordered from them once, from the phone, and I was very happy with them. I will be placing other orders with Admiral.

Sometimes particular steels aren't on hand. If I am fibbed to I will remember that and will not like that fact.

Roger

16. Ferret

Ferret

Jan 20, 2000
    Bruce emailed :)

17. Lynn

Lynn

Oct 31, 1998
    While at the Blade show last year I received, what I thought, was very intresting information. Crucible Steel said that Admiral was their best costomer! I assume that means that Crucible sells the steel to Admiral who in turn sells it to us. I'm all for bypassing the middle man.
    Cheaply (as usual), Lynn

18. Mike Hull

Mike Hull

Nov 25, 2000
    Admiral, as a distributer/buyer, can set the specs on the steel they order. If all they want to do is be competetive, price wise, they go with cheap manufacturing, cut corners etc.
    Way too many people have had problems with their steel(including me), for me to be comfortable recommending them.

19. Terry_Dodson

Terry_Dodson

Jul 10, 2002
    Do you have the website for Crucible Steel?