Admiral steel

the only thing i wont by from them is ats-34 last two times it was not descaled and it had some pitting. takes to much time to clean up. they laser cut my blanks for me for my rhino chop culinary knife. i use 440c now, which works better for my customers. easier to touch up the edge and more rust resistant. i have had a few screw ups from crucible, but they made it good in a timely fashion so i don't have a problem with ordering from them. were all human.

So, does crucible stock a 1084 equivalent? I looked over their website and didn't see anything comparable.

Guy, I should have been more specific in my prior post. The problems I was referring to with Admirals steel, was the stainless, in particular, ATS34. You should be OK getting 1084 from them. The only thing I have heard about that, is that it is not completely annealed. Although, if you need it that way, just make sure to specify when ordering, and you will get completely annealed stock.:D

Does Crucible have a price list anywhere? I tend to do business with companies that list the prices of their products. What's the big secret? Do different people pay different prices? Inquiring minds want to know!!

That's o.k. Mike, I forge the 1084 and anneal it myself so drilling is no problem. I've used 1084 from Admiral with no problems and pretty much understood you guys were talking about the stainless.

I was actually curious, though, whether Crucible offers simple alloys such as 1084. They do carry the Champalloy, which is their version of L6.

Originally posted by Tom Militano
Does Crucible have a price list anywhere? I tend to do business with companies that list the prices of their products. What's the big secret? Do different people pay different prices? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Tom, I don't know whether the website has prices or not. Just give them a call, and have them send you a catalog. Bruce DiVita @1-800-365-1168, maybe they have a price list that goes along with the catalog.

I've used Admiral for my 440C and O-1 in the past and have had great success. Prices were good and deliveries were good. Always ready to help. Then later, I ordered ATS-34 and the quality was not worth spending my time on. The hard scale was quite hard on my belts and the steel had this strange tiger stripe pattern (in the grain?) when closing in on a polish. Very distinct pattern. I assume from discussions with Admiral and other suppliers that this is from using rolled plate rather than rolled bar. Every piece in my order with different thicknesses and widths had this pattern. They made good with the return, but could not suggest a reason or fix.

Good to deal with on other steels, but I'll pay a little more on ATS-34 bar elsewhere to avoid these hastles and delays in my work.

Dan
www.bearpawknives.com

Terry
at Admiral Steel has always been on top of things for me aok with me, I couldn't get 154CM from TKS a few years ago and the other steels was priced OK for me at Admiral, lot better in some cases..
a buck is a buck if the product is the same..
they will send out for say ground o1 because they don't grind there.
sooo before jumping to conclusions I'd say get the info from the horses mouth first. I hope I don't trip anyone's trigger here, just my 2 cents being fair.
I may give Bruce a call and see what the rave is :D

I like Jim And Lance and the gang at TKS too. I sold Indian Stag to TKS for a while, till I couldn't get it any longer, it didn't make it better or worst it was still stag..and I didn't under price them when selling to my other customers.,

Back