Advice for a sheeple friendly edc?

RogueBowie is right. I keep a Vic Compact in my back pocket, especially since now I carry my new 0560. The "don't care what everyone thinks" is nice for personal pride, but I find value in understanding the social waters one is in.

A SAK is useful anyway. You said small tasks, so it would be nice to have some scissors and whatever else in you pocket.

RogueBowie is right. I keep a Vic Compact in my back pocket, especially since now I carry my new 0560. The "don't care what everyone thinks" is nice for personal pride, but I find value in understanding the social waters one is in.

A SAK is useful anyway. You said small tasks, so it would be nice to have some scissors and whatever else in you pocket.

Sticktodrum is a intelligent fellow. I carry my Case Butterbean everywhere and not one box or envelope has stood up to its wrath. If cutting every day items is the mission of your EDC a good traditional folder slippie is your knife.

Knife laws in my state are very vague. You can legally carry any "reasonable pocket knife". However, what exactly is "reasonable" is completely up to whatever officer happens to notice ur knife. So if the guy is having a bad day things can go south pretty quick. Going to ger my ccw soon so it wont be a problem but until them I am extreemly careful to keep a low profile.

I traded out my scale on my 550 to make it look less threatening. Yellow makes it look friendly some what. Not so tactical

If you are a nice guy and decent with people, carry and use the ZT in front of people. More they see knives the more they will get use to it and it gives you the opportunity to be a friendly representative for us knife people. I will open carry my pistol for this reason sometimes, had a few conversations because of it and they went well.

I use my ZT0301 in front of anyone and do it quite often, Ive yet to get any negative remarks but I might not be listening for them either. I say be who you are and use what you love. But if you want to hide it, Id get a leek, I like them for small tasks.

I want to add that I appreciate everyone's right and desire to carry and use their perfectly legal knife in public in front of whoever happens to be looking.

But as someone who has a 2 year old and is sometimes in front of parents of other little kids (as well as their little kids) at play dates and Gymboree and such you just don't always want to be pulling out a 0550 to cut your child's new toy out of a clam shell package. So a public friendly utility knife is sometimes nice to have.

I want to add that I appreciate everyone's right and desire to carry and use their perfectly legal knife in public in front of whoever happens to be looking.

But as someone who has a 2 year old and is sometimes in front of parents of other little kids (as well as their little kids) at play dates and Gymboree and such you just don't always want to be pulling out a 0550 to cut your child's new toy out of a clam shell package. So a public friendly utility knife is sometimes nice to have.

Thank you, this is exactly what I meant. I'm not going to stop carrying the 550. I'm going to carry a second knife. I don't really subscribe to the "tough luck i'm going to do what I want" attitude. As agrivating as they may be sheeple have the right to be out in public and if I can keep from making some of them nervous or uncomfortably by carrying a secondary knife, then I think it is curtious to do so. Lol not like I'm going to stop buying them anytime soon anyway :).

I would suggest a nice sharp spoon no one will be intimidated by that. Seriously though a nice sak wont get most people upset at you.

Honestly i would just change my scale out on the 550. I have 3 small kids and have had no trouble when using my 0350 or 0400 for that matter. I get asked questions, but am more than happy to answer them. Like a few said earlier, it is a great opportunity to turn the fear into knowledge, explain why it is a tool and not just a weapon, and show just how useful having a good tool is. When i explain to them, I have used my 0400 to help extricate people from vehicles (cut seatbelts) They have a different tune. A sweet color like bright blue, orange, yellow, or whatever goes miles in making it seem fun and way less threatening, and it gives you a chance to make it personalized.

That being said, what works for one will not always work for others. If you feel you need a secondary, then by all means go for it! There are literally hundreds out there to choose from. Think of the locale in which you would most like to have a smaller edc on your person, then base your decision off of that.

What of the echelon, I just saw that it has a deep carry clip. Anyone gotten their hands on one to check it out?

Did not see an answer for this one yet. Not a bad choice, but others would probably be better. I de-assisted mine, that probably helps, as a blade flying open to cut something really small in front of a lot of people may be awkward. Also, it is a deep carry clip, but not the best design imo. The screws holding it on interfere with your pants and prevent it from riding all the way down sometimes, and makes it hard to pull out. Something I also look for in a more friendly knife is one that is obviously nicer looking. The rainbow leek fits the bill, maybe the crown. My Caly 3 with a mirror polished blade fits that category. It is not too small, but it gives the impression of a guy with a really nice shiny fancy knife, not a murder weapon.

i always have my skyline with me. for few weeks, i had 550 and skyline. skyline does everything that i need to do, but having the weight was 550 on me was nice. it really doesn't matter what knife i have, i'll get eyes staring at me when i pull even my SAK classic out. some people are just not very knife friendly.

Carry them all! :D
I today am carrying 6 knives, if you include the Wave on my belt as a knife. And this is in a office environment (albeit DoD office). I will likely use 5 out of the 6 of them at various times during the day. At LEAST 4 out of the 6. One is reserved as my emergency tool, a Benchmade 275 Adamas. It is razor sharp, but heavy-duty enough to cut my way through a wall (drywall, that is) if I need to. I use what is appropriate for the job at hand, but I take into consideration what people are around. My quick-access utility knife today is a Shallot.

I find that the biggest problem with "what is" the perception of a big or too big of a knife is its profile.... How much steel is between the edge and the spine, then how tactical or non tactical it looks, followed by it's length. I think the Cryo is a pretty good combo of deep carry and not too big. My favorite smaller "Kershaw" blade would have to be the Centofante.

0303184328945.jpg

I agree with Bad juju its all about creating the preception rather than merely giving in to social pressures. Otherwise evventually no knife is acceptable...

I have made it a point to carry and use everything and educate as I go. No one has ever complained other than to me, prior to discussing it with me. Eventually they have come around and now I can carry in my office a 4" fixed balde and do routinely without concern or comment. Whereas at one point my leek raised eyebrows and comments. A couple of my co workers are now asking questions and looking at getting their own "good" knife to carry and have on hand. Having been exposed to good knives by me and having seen how useful they are compared to cheap crap that barely cuts at best.

This is what the world needs if we don't want erosion of rights... (oh and I live in even more snuggly politically correct Canada.) Make the effort, its worth it.

This topic all depends on the circles you run with. I can understand not wanting to worry other parents and suff. But, if i have 5 friends over at my place you can pretty much assume there are 5 or 6 guns and up 10 knives in the room. No safer place in town for your kids to be than at my house at that time. In public i use my umnuzaan latley but ive carried a 560, 551, rift, barrage with axis assist, esee 4, etc. and never have had a problem. I do carry a sak from time to time but only because i like it, not because im scared to pull out my big blade. But then again, i live in Texas so people might be a little more understanding. Iv found that most men become very interesed in your knife and soon start hunting for one of thier own. Everyone i work with carries a knife also and women who know you asways ask to borrow your knife.

You have had alot of ideas and good comments from everyone. I hope you take sometime, and think about what is the right decision for you. Please let us know when you are ready and what you have decided either way! I know alot of us are waiting to hear!

I'll second Orange being that the OD-1 as one of the most interesting and fun designs around. it work fine as a not scary knife. Another would be the Skyline. Non scary shape. Non scary colors. Non scary deployment.

Back