Advice to New and Want-to-be Makers

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    There seems to be a big increase in new people here in Shop Talk. That is a good thing. FIF has been a big influence.
    However, the repeated I want to make a knife threads and resurrected old threads can clog up the forum.

Things to help you get started right:

#1 - The biggest thing anyone can do to help us help you is FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE COMPLETELY.
    Your age, location, and some info about yourself will allow others to offer you help, materials, good advise, and local sources.
    BTW, Somewhere in the Cold North isn't a location … Norfolk, VA; Flat Rock, TX; etc. is.

#2 - Read the Stickys. There is a ton of good info there.

#3 - Use your real name. If you already have joined Bladeforums, a name change is only $10.
    We all know who Kevin Cashen, Salem Straub, Fred Rowe, Stacy Apelt are.
    I don't know ( and likely won't care about) nightrider36, Deathray 2000, Scooby-Doo, or LazyDave21.

#4 - Reach out to a nearby maker for help and advise. The internet is god for searching and data (most of the time), You-Tube is good for videos (some of the time), but sitting down or going into the shop with a real person is way better ( all of the time).

#5 - Look at the DATE on a thread you pull up in a search. If it is more than a year old, don't resurrect it. Post a new thread and link the old one in your question.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Can this be added to the top of the stickies on the front page above the video link thread with the title in bold, italics, underlined and flashing?

3. Tom Lewis

Tom Lewis

Feb 24, 2000
    Good advice Stacy especially "Use your real names". If you are going to sell knives you need to get your name out there.

GABaus likes this.
  4. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    There are some of us who have reasons we don't use our names, give our locations, or other personal information but I do understand the idea. I've found one person on here in my area and I'd love to reach out to them but just can't.

GABaus and K.S.W. like this.
  5. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    I've been going by "Busto" for over 50 years....The Mayor know me by Busto, Priest, Coaches, Fellow Farmers....You Know that 6'3" Biker Looking guy that owns that Big Pecan Orchard...Oh yeah you mean Busto....Hell my mom calls me Busto:)
    My former bosses at NASA called me Busto...

Jon108, GABaus, Mecha and 7 others like this.
  6. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    I think also if you are asking for some advice or guidance it helps to be as specific as possible with your question and provide as much background information on either the material or process so you can get useful advice

Regards
    Harbeer Chahal

7. Drew Riley

Drew Riley Riley Knife and Tool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    I guess my dream to start "Deathray2000 Knife and Tool" was over before it began... :(

In all seriousness, I did just recently pay the $10 for the username change. No regrets.

GABaus, Mecha, Natlek and 1 other person like this.
  8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Busto is your nickname. If people call you that, it is a real name. Deathray2000 is made up name. I have no problem with someone using the name they are known by.
    Everyone my age knows who "Catfish" hunter was ... or Hulk Hogan. I doubt we would have known them if they went by CountryGuy1946 or BigTerryB.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    GABaus and Tom Lewis like this.
  9. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Seeing as how we're on the topic of names, I tried signing up as billyO, which is how everyone has referred to me for the past 30+years but that was taken, so I'm using my initials instead.

10. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    However, William Olsen(eg) would habve been pe
    rfectly clear, and OLSEN on your knives would be understood.

Drew Riley and Tom Lewis like this.
  11. Randy3000

Randy3000

Jun 3, 2017
    Necroing threads is a problem not limited to bladeforums. Forums that handle it do so by issuing a warning before the potential necro'er submits a post, asking if they are aware the thread is ancient history. Other forums simply lock old threads.

12. weo

Sep 21, 2014
    I hope this reads with the smile/laugh intended and not as me arguing....but my last name is a lot harder to pronounce than Olsen....which is why I've been called billyO for the past 40+ years...

GABaus, Rhinoknives1 and AVigil like this.
  13. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Not trying to cause any S)(T here, But weo all in lower case, has had me wondering about your name?? LOL, I've been know as Rhino.. or Rhinoman for some 30 years, So I went with RHINOKNIVES when I started Knife making and signed up here...

, I was here in 98 and left for a couple of years because it got nasty here with the Chick-let system with too many just wanting to bust others chops, When I came back, for some reason they couldn't fined my original name, I know this is turning into a Ramble, Just wanted to say that I have always had Laurence on my tag line here to eliminate any confusion...

@Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith
    Seriously!!! You don't know whom Scooby Doo is?? ;):p:p

14. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
    I think you guys may be missing my point to the new makers. An unknown knifemakers who calls himself ScoobyDoo won't have that name recognized as a specific person. If you are just getting started, calling yourself by the name that people call you is a good practice … be that BillyO, Rhino, Busto, John Smith, etc..

15. Jon Mead

Jon Mead

Jun 5, 2019
    Sorry to bump this up, However how do i change my username? i wasnt thinking when i created this name

16. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Aug 20, 2004
  17. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I have been wrestling with a name change for some time now. I just have been JTknives for so long.

18. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Not a bad thing, that's branding.

GABaus likes this.
  19. David W Babcock

David W Babcock Black Metal Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 21, 2018
    Good Post,

I know I’ve likely annoyed a few members with my noob questions, as searching was pointed out to me, more than once....lol.

However, as a self educating Canuck (not many around here to teach or train, aside from general blacksmithing from Canada, I still struggle with where to post for feedback. I’m getting better albeit not great but advice is always welcomed and I’m not certain to this point, even where to post.

If I search, where to post knives, feedback for knives, etc....a million results with little assistance?

Thanks for your time...I’ve been an admirer of your work for years!

GABaus likes this.
  20. David W Babcock

David W Babcock Black Metal Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 21, 2018
    Although I used my real name :), my shop is Black Metal Forge and business is registered (half ass business at this point, hope that to change with time, and effort) as such and my Branding will likely be along the company names lines.