Advise on machete

The OP is essentially looking for a general purpose machete that can handle "the small stuff" (vines, briars, limbs, and small trees). It also should have a secure sheath since it will be riding on a ATV most of the time. The length involves individual preferences, but the OP's original has a 10-11" blade which I consider a bit short for the potential work unless the work is very seldom. I carry both the 16" Condor Swampmaster and the 10" discontinued Kumunga in my truck all the time. I have more than a few options, but these provide me with the most efficient use of space and function. Obviously, the knife or short machete choice is very subjective and many choices will work.

I kept a the 12" Ontario machete in my truck years ago, but hated the thing. I have both the regular and sawback versions. The sawback mostly just gets in the way and does not work very well.

Added: My machete use tends to be for short periods of time, like up to 30 minutes. The machete is clearly a tool. Brand.... once I bought my first Condor I was sold on their stuff and own many now (knives and machetes of various kinds). Condor pricing clearly is geared toward the US market and after they went to MAP pricing, they seem a tad expensive to me. But, I don't really buy many machetes any more and would make most of the same choices again at today's prices. The ones I use the most are > 18" Wood handled El Salvador, 16" Swampmaster, 14" Puerto Rican (discontinued, same as Swampmaster), and the Pack Golok for chopping. Loved the regular Golok when I first got it (have two), but have drifted away from it as I consider it too light for chopping branches very well and too thick for flexible vegetation. But it will certainly do for short uses periods of time that I normally use a machete.

Last edited:
Please remember that machete's tend to be impact tools. They're best when swung with speed and must be able to resist hard contact. Edge damage from contact with rocks and hard objects near the ground is inevitable. The user should be prepared to finish the factory edge to their satisfaction and ready to repair and maintain that edge as needed.

n2s

If you liked your Gator, check the deals that Himalayan Imports has near weekly. Pick yourself up a Village Utility Khukuri. They’re usually a shorter, lighter Khuk that’s a bit rough in all the right places. No babying necessary, and built for work.

I also second the pursuing of Baryonyx Knife Company’s website. If you give them a look you’ll find exactly what you want, I’m sure of that.

As others have said sawback machetes are pretty much useless.a
At least every sawback machete besides mine, mine has a real saw back because it started life as a saw.
I made a small one from an old crosscut handsaw that was missing teeth ...ect I call it a garden machete.
I can use it for small machete type tasks and for trimming any low hanging branches that are getting in my way, just small stuff like you might use a small folding saw for no major tree pruning.

As others have said sawback machetes are pretty much useless......

My primary concern with sawback is that they can lead to a stress fracture. I would hate to be the one standing there holding a machete handle as most of the blade flies off into the distance.

n2s

My primary concern with sawback is that they can lead to a stress fracture. I would hate to be the one standing there holding a machete handle as most of the blade flies off into the distance.

n2s
Never thought of or heard of that, but now it's definitely on my mind.
And they can't round the gullets of double cut saw teeth either.

I am a huge Tramontina fan. I do not have the bolo yet, but I definitely want to try one.

1F63F39F-D30F-414B-A1C9-9C7AFA609BE8.jpeg

My oldest one has Brazil spelled “Brasil”. I’ve used this one the most and it has served me for almost 18 years. I tried tightening the scales a bit as they are a tiny bit loose. Still perfectly functional though.
28D688FB-FBF1-466C-99C8-324EE6661E86.jpeg FCF2D703-EE95-4821-80B8-FBED4D8250AF.jpeg C2E05FE6-857F-4E1F-A1AE-36EEF4AD2AF4.jpeg

Rothco and Marbles sheaths work well. I honestly think a quality kydex sheath would be appropriate and complement the machete.
9721D543-7533-449F-9527-A1F0F5E9C5FF.jpeg

The Kabar is rigid with no flex, but is thin and hits hard. The handle is extremely comfortable, and the sheath is good for what you pay for.

The Old Hickories are a bit more rigid than the Tramontinas, but still flexible. A soft heat treat makes the steel great for machete use. The only drawback are the cutlery rivets. They come loose far to easy. If you are handy and can shape some scales...you would have a great brush tool!
D1EE48D5-AC7B-4B2D-AEFF-D38AF2DB3C63.jpeg E3D37F93-4CA2-4918-8469-997F256EE5DC.jpeg

The Condor Kukuri hits hard and has a quality heat treat. Batons wood like a champ as well. The round scales are comfortable but make it hard to keep the blade oriented. This causes your hits to deflect far to often. Fantastic sheath though.

The BK9 is a great option as a belt carry knife that can serve as a brush clearing tool in a pinch. I absolutely love this blade.

02B0B51A-C6C1-4275-8C50-6A88F49ED2B9.jpeg 0A8855C8-1ED2-4A56-B049-96C3EFA01FE5.jpeg

If you need a field saw...I highly recommend a Silky. They are very hard so you have to be careful not to push stroke. These saws pull cut like a laser. Very light package and they come with a handy plastic case.
F0664B90-32CA-435A-8F3D-314CC04D8BD4.jpeg

An example of HDPE Tramontina sheaths. The belt loops swivel, as do the snap straps.

71542648_10219491638350047_1623125964303106048_o.jpg

Another that I did for a knife a friend has sent me to give feedback on. I didn't care for the kydex it came in, so I sent it back with some extra pants. :p

65028537_10218773501957086_2593654157902610432_n.jpg

65092853_10218773500757056_5625469012348502016_n.jpg

An uneven edge full of burrs seems to imply some, albeit poor, sharpening. ...

I have a bunch of Tramontina, Imacasa and Incolma machetes. I thought the grinding was just a courtesy to let me know which side was intended to have an edge installed.

Kershaw camp 14. Hard sheath. Heavier and more expensive than the other suggestions but it’s been working for me for a year or so. I use it on grasses, limbs, vines.
7370C658-3D5F-4670-BB03-5D4A07BEF457.jpeg 10B161DB-BEF5-4610-898A-420F5C882069.jpeg

Would you be willing to split the tools? I dont know of any saw backed machetes to recommend, but I have extensively used a condor machete and have been very impressed with it. Mine came with a leather sheath with 2 snap buttons. I would also recommend the silky f180 or bahco laplander saw instead of a saw back. :) Good luck!

Looking on advise for a good model wood land machete. The machete would stay strapped to the rack of my 4 wheeler until needed for clearing brush, vines, limbs etc. Saw tooth back for sawing limbs if needed. I already have the Gerber Gator Jr, but lost the sheath and cannot find a replacement, even on their website. Said sheath Velcro strapped around the handle and wore out, lesson learned, I need a snap button strap. Thoughts?
I just made this pvc sheath for my Martindale machete. cheap and easy. the dents in the sheath are where I pushed in the pvc to put pressure on the blade as a way to keep it in the sheath til I pull it out. kinda like the dents in the old cavalry sabre sheaths

WiwROkl.jpg

E7YZp2m.jpg

7jLvoYT.jpg

VHKi4v7.jpg

Last edited:
The Bushcraft Parang and the Mini Duku from Condor are my picks. They chop and chop and chop. I also like their Golok when I need something a bit less substantial..

The Bushcraft Parang and the Mini Duku from Condor are my picks. They chop and chop and chop. I also like their Golok when I need something a bit less substantial..
Condor bushcraft parang is a monster for heavy chopping

Back