Advocate update?

Has there been any recent news on a fix/redesign for the Advocate? I still really want this thing when they get the bugs worked out.

I have not read anything recently. However, I am very interested in seeing an updated version. I would also like to know how we will know that we are getting one instead of the first incarnation.

I loved the Advocate that I sent in to Spyderco except the bearings “rumbling” and “grinding,” without being tampered with, that they told me later was within specs. I would like another one when I can be positive that it will work smoothly.

Last edited:
A guy on the forum had some made, new bearings and metal bearing races. Check with him. I don't recall the details but there is a thread he made on it.

Hi PlatonicForm,

We received your kit, thanx much. We'll study it.

Hi Mo2,

We've redesigned the Advocate pivot area and we're in the process of remaking the model with a number of changes. We've also sold a number of the current models with no complaints from customers.

sal

Thanks Sal, looking forward to the second iteration.

Reactions: Mo2
Do we think the new one is further than 6 months away? I may pickup the current for now if I can find any deals, always wanted to try one.

Any chance we can stone wash the scales, I like the texture just wish it wasn't so shiny.

Thanks,

Hi PlatonicForm,
Hi Mo2,

We've redesigned the Advocate pivot area and we're in the process of remaking the model with a number of changes. We've also sold a number of the current models with no complaints from customers.

sal
Bumping this thread back up. Anybody knows anything about when the CQI Advocate may drop. It has been a few months scince Sal posted his update. This is high on my wish list but I would rather get the new one. I know nothing really wrong with the current model but why not wait at this point.

Thanks for sharing Danke42! Great news!

As discussed in the thread above, it would have been nice to reflect the redesign in the name or by an external feature. Hard to say who’s got the new stck and who is selling old inventory. Maybe give it another month or two just to make sure.
Well then it wouldn't be an Advocate anymore at that point.

file.php

Spydergirl88,

Are those bronze-phosphor bushings replacement for bearings ...a Spyderco CQI ?

If so, OMG take my money (the Advocate I been hoping/waiting for)!! Now all I'll need to do is grind off that flipper tab ... and perhaps relocate the pocket-clip ;-) Could be time for a new pocket tool

They are not bushings or washers. They are caged bearings and what appears as bushings or washers are the cage holding the bearings. There are thicker washers between the bearings and the scales, as well.

Anyone know what dealers might have the new ones? I just bought one from BHQ and requested the new revised version. it came in today and its the old design. The marking on the box for the date are LP so Dec. 2016. looks like this one is going back to BHQ.

Back