• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

AFAustin’s 6th Annual "Going to the Dogs" Sale (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFAustin

Gold Member
tZ808Eal.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6/24/18 Update
: Part 2 of this sale is now open here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/afaustin’s-6th-annual-going-to-the-dogs-sale-part-2.1592685/#post-18191575

7/1/18 Update: Part 3 of this sale is now open here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/afaustin’s-6th-annual-going-to-the-dogs-sale-part-3.1594265/

7/8/18 Update: Part 4 of this sale is now open here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/afaustin’s-6th-annual-going-to-the-dogs-sale-part-4.1595849/

7/15/18 Update: Part 5 of this sale is now open here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...to-the-dogs-sale-part-5-with-bonuses.1597403/

7/22/18 Update: Part 6 of this sale is now open here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...e-part-6—final-roundup.1599014/#post-18261912

7/23/18 Update: The remaining knives are WITHDRAWN.

Time to wrap this up. I'm totaling up the sales and communicating with the organizations about the donations (and possible matches). Thanks to all who have helped and stay tuned for the final tally and donation report!

7/28/18 Final Update: It's a wrap! Please see Part 7 (Donations Made!) here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/afaustin’s-6th-annual-going-to-the-dogs-sale-part-7-donations-made.1600339/#post-18276454

Happy Father’s Day! We have four kids ourselves, all grown now and each one great in their own way, and they always make me feel loved and appreciated on this day (and all days), so I am very grateful.

And no better way to celebrate today than to kick off this sale, which is near and dear to my heart. I've done this the past few years—most recently here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/afaustin’s-5th-annual-going-to-the-dogs-sale.1519468/#post-17445284 It’s been a lot of fun, and with the help of all the great dog and knife lovers on BF, a tidy sum has been raised for the pups. So this will be the 6th annual "Going to the Dogs Sale"!

We are dog lovers in my family, always have been, always will be, and are now up to 4 rescues ourselves (it’s a long story!). The pic up top is my wife Rosalinda and me with our pups—Mia (Pointer and my avatar), Boy (Shepherd mix), Chico (Chihuahua), and Petey (Chihuahua mix).

In past years the beneficiaries of this sale have included the Austin Humane Society, Austin Pets Alive!, and the Highland Lakes SPCA. Last year I focused on efforts to help the animals affected by Hurricane Harvey on the Texas coast. The Austin Humane Society and Austin Pets Alive!, both of which were doing great work in the aftermath of Harvey, were the beneficiaries of the sale.

I’ve also made it a point to try to make the donations to organizations which have a matching funds program in place at the time my sale ends, so as to get double bang-for-the buck for the donations. The availability and timing of the matching challenges can be tricky, so what I’ve found works best is to contact the organizations before the sale, find out what the possibilities are over the next couple of months, and then stay in touch as the sale continues. By the time last year’s sale ended, both the Austin Humane Society and Austin Pets Alive! were able to secure matching funds, and that’s where the donations went.

This year I’ve contacted several organizations and there are some good possibilities for matching funds. The two groups with the most promising match prospects so far are the Austin Humane Society: http://www.austinhumanesociety.org/ and Soi Dog: https://www.soidog.org/ We’ve made modest contributions to Soi Dog for several years, and recently have learned more about their work and are even more impressed. This incredible group is based in Thailand, but with strong connections to and support from the U.S. and Europe. They take on two enormous problems in SE Asia: a huge population of street dogs—in need of medical care, rabies vaccinations, and spaying/neutering---and the barbaric dog meat trade. In the face of tough odds, they have had some impressive victories on both fronts.

Like last year, I’m going to wait till the sale is over to make a final decision on where the proceeds go, and I'll favor the organizations with matching funds available. But as I’ve done every year, 100% of the proceeds will go to worthy dog welfare organizations.

I'm going to start this sale now, and I’ll add more knives as we go---so please keep checking back.

Once the sales are done and the total proceeds are donated, I'll post the receipt(s)---to show I kept my commitment and didn't blow it on knives! I ran this by our friendly neighborhood supermod before I did the very first one of these sales, and he kindly gave me the green light (thanks again, Mike).

Details:

Prices include shipping, USPS 1st Class, w/ Delivery Confirmation. PayPal or m.o. only. I'll cover the PayPal fees, so go ahead and list it as a sale of goods, not a gift. (If you want insurance, let me know and I will figure your cost. Otherwise, I will not be responsible for items lost or damaged in the mail.)

1st unconditional "I'll take it", followed up with prompt payment. I think my PM/Conversations box might fill up pretty quickly with these sales, so please e-mail me for payment info. at: aforsythe4 at austin dot rr dot com

Once we have a deal, please post an "I’ll take it" in this sales thread, since that’s required for us both to leave feedback, which I think is important.

By buying these knives you are stating that you are at least 18 years of age, and otherwise in compliance with all applicable laws regarding them.

International Sales Policies
:

Please email me.

Now that that’s out of the way, let’s get on to the knives!

Thanks, and thanks for helping the pups!

Andrew

This first knife is courtesy of our esteemed member and my friend, Phil (BF screen name: Phaint). Phil and his wife are proud owners of two fine rescue dogs themselves, and Phil wanted to make a personal contribution to this effort. Phil, you are a great dog man and a great knife man, and all I can say is Thank You!

1) GEC #153216CL Crownlifter in Antique Yellow Jig Bone. EZ Open notch.

Phil tells me this pretty knife was carried a little and the edge was touched up. The etch is faded. There are minor scratches on the bolsters and on the tip of the cap lifter.

Includes tube. $75.00 SOLD

MmHYtfxl.jpg

PhOIdY4l.jpg

1NmArj4l.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This next group of 5 knives (#2 through #6) is also special in that they were donated by a great guy and BF friend of mine in North Carolina. He is another long time knife man and friend of the pups, and recently adopted a handsome new rescue. He’s asked to remain anonymous, but he has my sincere thanks for his wonderful gesture.

I should mention that this friend enjoys a smoke and you might get a whiff of that on the leather sheath for the fixed blade (and maybe even on some of the knives if you try hard and have a hyper sensitive nose). If it bothers you, there are various ways to remove the odor, and I’ve done it myself with success. (It’s been a while, but I think it involved rags with vinegar and lemon juice in a sealed container, alternated with doses of fresh air & sunshine).

2) Case Trapper in yellow delrin. Stainless blades. This is the full size (4 1/8" closed) version. Unused and uncarried with factory edges. A classic.

Includes box (Case box but not correct one for this knife) & paperwork. WITHDRAWN

Mdwv7vJl.jpg

0F8w9qGl.jpg

eT9Z2Syl.jpg

izgUbPPl.jpg

3) Schrade Uncle Henry Trapper (U.S.A.) #285UH in Stagalon (jigged synthetic). Schrade+ stainless blades. 3 7/8" closed. Sharpened and lightly used with a little scratching on the tip of the spey and pepper spots on the inside of the springs. My friend remembers he bought this knife in 1997.

No box. WITHDRAWN

bJZdw7sl.jpg

EjG7Vhcl.jpg

QDPIqnrl.jpg

Xjc64RWl.jpg

Last edited:

4) Schrade Lil’ Finger small fixed blade (U.S.A.). Schrade+ stainless blade. Attractive laminated wood handle. 6 3/4" overall length; 2 3/8" cutting edge. Has been sharpened and used and has ample blade scratches and a few scuffs on the bolsters. I used a flashlight on the close-ups, which exaggerates things a bit.

Includes nice leather sheath. $30.00 $27.00 SOLD

8GdgsFcl.jpg

z5UPggdl.jpg

2BRqyoCl.jpg

uNSOrvel.jpg

yJTJLQtl.jpg

5) Victorinox Minichamp in silver alox. Unused and uncarried.

Includes white leather case & box. $36.00 SOLD

CSmhUVal.jpg

ovkJX6nl.jpg

FJCjhJXl.jpg

6) Victorinox Sentry in red cellidor. Sharpened and lightly used with a few small scuffs on pile side cover. Great (discontinued) 84 mm pattern—lightweight and slim yet just thick enough to make it very comfortable in hand.

Includes box (which is worn). $18.00 $16.00 SOLD

FjNQFfHl.jpg

oUELuTdl.jpg

LtGJPNLl.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7) GEC #81 Bull Moose in Osage Orange. Knife has been lightly used, has the start of a patina, and has been stropped. Medium pulls & no half stops. Bolsters have a satin finish. Comes with button and a nice leather pocket slip.

Includes tube & wax paper. $90.00 $85.00 $79.00 $73.00 SOLD in Part 5

OpPv3ORl.jpg

okJs2Kyl.jpg

J4ia38tl.jpg

Btq4Q9Fl.jpg

8) Case Stockman #6318SHSP in "green" jigged bone.
CV (carbon) blades. New old stock, unused and unsharpened. Pretty covers. Minor blade rubs. I believe this is a 1993 model—see pic and this reference: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.co...eference-guide/case-knife-age-identification/

Includes box & (old style) paperwork. $50.00 SOLD

8rMfsAjl.jpg

MLC9Vm9l.jpg

VG7qzaOl.jpg

Last edited:

9) Case Muskrat in Smooth Persimmon Orange Bone. Stainless blades. There is a story on this one. I bought one of these new and sharpened it up on my WSKO. The long thin blades took great edges and were very slicey. But there was a bit of a proud spring on the mark side when the blade was open. I ultimately decided to send it in to Case as per their excellent warranty. They took care of it and sent me back this knife, which is very nice---no proud spring, great walk & talk, and no blade rub that I can see. It’s obvious that the blades are brand new because they have factory edges, but I can’t tell if they just replaced the blades or sent me a whole new knife because the scales look about the same as the ones on the original knife. Whew—long explanation, but wanted to give the full background.

The upshot is that the knife is basically new, unused, unsharpened, and without the proud spring which I gather may happen sometimes on Case Muskrats: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1374363-Lets-Talk-Muskrats!/page3?highlight=Muskrats

Includes box & paperwork. $40.00 SOLD

xfHj45bl.jpg

Ooq3oAkl.jpg

vKKPVfXl.jpg

10) Case Mini Trapper in Chestnut Jigged Bone.
Covers are a reddish chestnut jigged bone—very attractive to my eye. This knife has been used and has been sharpened to nice edges. Stainless blades. Easy pulls.

No box. $35.00 $33.00 $31.00 $28.00 SOLD in Part 5

3yI4XNml.jpg

dgUi62fl.jpg

JAjTOZLl.jpg

11) Case #62032 Mini Moose in Hunter Green Barnboard bone.
Stainless blades. New, unused, unsharpened. Pretty bone and a spey that is "pointier" and more like a spear, which I like.

These are an appealing and handy pattern, which I posted about here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...mini-moose-mini-review.1466171/#post-16873350

Includes box & paperwork. $40.00 SOLD

nMUGB9Vl.jpg

vUhOLJXl.jpg

FaH5Zvil.jpg

12) Case #63090 Small Stockman in Olive Green Jigged Bone.
Stainless blades. 3 3/8" closed. Pinched & fluted bolsters. Sharpened, modestly modded, and lightly used.

I did a review and description of my mods here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...an-review-pics-and-a-few-modest-mods.1406889/ (Apologies for all the typos and formatting errors—they weren’t there back when I posted it but maybe the software upgrade wreaked a little havoc?)

Includes box and paperwork. $35.00 SOLD

UMLjcUcl.jpg

Csn8L4Nl.jpg

jU5uXgFl.jpg

Last edited:
5) Victorinox Minichamp in silver alox is now SOLD.

PP received. Thanks, Jesse. I'll get this out to you tomorrow with a tracking no.

Andrew

9) Case Muskrat in Smooth Persimmon Orange Bone is now SOLD.

PP received. Thanks, Barbara. I'll have this in the mail to you tomorrow with a tracking no.

Andrew

1) GEC #153216CL Crownlifter in Antique Yellow Jig Bone is SPF.

Email sent with PP info.

Thanks,

Andrew

I’ll take the GEC Crown Lifter. Thanks and happy Fathers Day!

1) GEC #153216CL Crownlifter in Antique Yellow Jig Bone is now SOLD.

PP received. Thanks, Jonathan. And Happy Father's Day to you as well!

I will have this one in the mail to you tomorrow with a tracking no.

Andrew

Last edited:
I’ll take #8 & 11
Thanks Andrew

Hi, Vince---great to see an excellent customer from last year's sale here!

8) Case Stockman #6318SHSP in "green" jigged bone is SPF.

11) Case #62032 Mini Moose in Hunter Green Barnboard bone
is also SPF.

Vince, please email me so I'll be sure to have your current email address and I'll reply with my PP info.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi, Vince---great to see an excellent customer from last year's sale here!

8) Case Stockman #6318SHSP in "green" jigged bone is SPF.

is also SPF.

Vince, please email me so I'll be sure to have your current email address and I'll reply with my PP info.

Thanks,

Andrew
Email sent

Email sent

8) Case Stockman #6318SHSP in "green" jigged bone is now SOLD.

is likewise now SOLD.

PP received. Thanks, Vince. I really appreciate your continued support of the pups!

I'll get these two en route to you tomorrow with a tracking no.

Andrew

I'll take this one please if it's still available.

email being sent

Ray

I'll take this one please if it's still available.

email being sent

Ray

12) Case #63090 Small Stockman in Olive Green Jigged Bone is SPF.

Email replied with PP info.

Thanks,

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back