AFCK opinions please

Try the AXIS first.It has a better feeling handle and cuts better than the AFCK and definetaly has a better lock.I had an AFCK until I got an AXIS.
scott w

I am with Gollnick all the way on this one, as I own both, but owned the AFCK first. Hey, they have tip-down carry for the 720, why not the 710?

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

Am I the only person who finds the 710 Axis uncomfortable in a normal saber or hammer grip? I like the deep cutout on the AFCK for the first finger. I like my knife handles to be narrowest at the first finger, to have a slight "neck" before the blade. On a 710 this is about the widest point. The only way I can get a nice saber on it is to move my hand way down so that the swell towards the butt is on my middle two fingers and my pinkie is practically off of the knife.

I know I'm throwing the thread off, but I think it's seen more than enough AFCK opinions and I'm deeply baffled by the raves about the 710's ergonomics. I will admit it has a gorgeous half-saber (knife turned on its side with the thumb pressing against the ricasso or, in this case, the forward grooves of the handle). Somebody explain to me how to hold the darn thing! It's so pretty and so tough, but...

------------------

-Corduroy
(Why else would a bear want a pocket?)

The AFCK is one of my favorite production knives. It is an excellent all around knife.

The AFCK is absolutely my favorite production knife. I've carried one for several years, and I'm currently in the process of having one customized to give it a more elegant (and less overtly "tactical") appearance. I'm kind of sick of black G-10 handled folders, but the ergonomics and blade geometry of the AFCK are hard to beat in my opinion.

Jim

Cord,

I'm a big fan of the 710s ergonomics. However, I fully admit they favor comfort. I find I can work the knife hard for a long period without any hot spots raised on my hands.

I have a buddy with much bigger hands than me, and he hated the Axis's ergonomics. Just never quite fit him right. Maybe you've got the same problem. Even though he's got bigger hands, he found the Pinnacle's smaller but differently-shaped handle much more comfortable for him.

I will say one thing, I wouldn't mind an index finger groove in the Axis handle.

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

I just got my leftie AFCK today. WOW, what a knife.. Fit and finish are superb, opens with the speed of an auto (a friend thought it was a switchblade
smile.gif
)

Couldn't be happier. I definately recommend it.

------------------
Shawn
"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."

Still Benchmade's best knife, bar none.

------------------
James

I wrote a huge review of the AFCK and a custom variant.

You can find that review in the Reviews section, it was less than 30 days ago.

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

"I'm just an advertisement for a version of myself." David Byrne

Great knife, had mine for 3 years with no problems and a spotless service record. -Krumbs

I gave my girlfriend a Left-Handed Mini AFCK. I would not trust just any ol' knife for her. Plus, now a bunch of her male co-workers are green with knife envy!

Haven't owned the AFCK but I have the Axis, which is now sold. So can only comment of the Axis. The grip ergonomics are fine and the lock up is very very stout. The problems most typically I have had with the knife is the edge holding ability and the sharpenability. Either is to hard to get and to hold. IMHO. Alot of people have had great success with theres. Me I carry my Spyderco C16 way more. Hands down sharper and a better cutter than the Axis. Now what has taken the place of the C16 for mostly daily carry and utility is the Kershaw 1416 lg. Starky Ridge. You can get them at the BF store for about 44 bucks including shipping. Mine is outstanding. Can't defeat the liner lock, outstanding edge geometry, big and robust. When I tell ya this thing cuts I ain't whistly Dixie. A better bargain you will be hard pressed to find. I wrote my impressions of it under knife reviews. Good luck in your pursuit.

This is my first experiment with a posting to this board. I joined last night, and it is time to see if it works.

I bought my AFCK (I'm guessing)about 5 or 6 years ago. It is always in my left hip pocket. I try to put it away to carry something else but it always ends up back in my pocket. (how do they do that?)

Mine is long before black blades or left hand models. Called Benchmade a few years ago and told them I had lost a screw out of the clip and could they sell me a new one. A week later I had three screws and a new clip in the mail, no charge.

AFCK is the most useful knife I own. I love it, it is like a pickup truck, If you have never owned one you are fine, but once you have had one it is a necessity from then on.

The best thing to do is compare the AFCK to other knives in the same price range and similar size, there are many choices out there. There is the Spyderco Military, Rekat Carnivour, EDI Genesis, Spyderco Starmate, BM Axis, etc. There are new improvements considered for these companies too. BM may come out with an axis version of the AFCK. Spyderco may come out with a rolling lock for the Military. EDI is coming out with a talonite version of the Genesis. Knives are becoming like computers....just not as expensive.
Try to be open minded when comparing knives, or you will only cheat your self.
PR

[This message has been edited by prigger (edited 07 July 1999).]

Well, well, I got a free clip and 6(COUNT'EM SIX SCREWS!!!) from BM.

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

The AFCK rules! My constant companion for almost two years. In many people's opinions, one of the best production knives available (I don't even want to get into the "Who makes "the" best production knife argument!). Solid lock-up, and passes the spine-whack test every time. The minute I got mine, I Dremeled the edges smooth, made the scallops larger, and added a strip of skateboard grip tape to the clip (greatly aids gripping on the draw). And I love that Spyderhole!

If BM adds an axis lock to the AFCK, would there be much to differentiate it from the 710? I'm looking at both knives (and others like it) and they already seem to have some product overlap.

Would BM commit resources to produce two nearly identical products?

Next thing 710 owners will be clamoring for a blade hole
smile.gif
I'd like the idea, but the thickness of the 710/705 handle (possibly for axis pin support) may make the hole more difficult to reach than via thumbstuds.

Back