1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Air-SOG authentic?

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Andres Allikas, Oct 14, 2015.

1. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Yeah, could be any of the things Ken mentioned. No matter what it looks to be in great shape!

2. Andres Allikas

Andres Allikas

Oct 14, 2015
    Ken, thanks for your comments! No matter what I do like the blade. I shall see how it holds the edge and I own a Tormek 7 anyway.

3. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    IMHO, that looks like normal wear and tear on a knife thats been used and sharpened some. Not everyone who sharpens their knives pays close attention to the process.

4. dkrisner

dkrisner

Sep 19, 2014
    does anyone know what blade steel was used on them

5. KenHash

KenHash Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Many early Seki SOGs were marketed as 440A. But later SOG disclosed that they only used that because American buyers would be more familiar with it than the Aus6 that was actually used. BTW SOG is not the only company to have done this.

6. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    So was that true of all knives that were said to use 440a? Just wondering.

7. KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    Don't know who else had "440A" marked knives back then. Browning had 440 Stainless but later admitted
    it was Aus8. Cold Steel used "400 Series Stainless" early on that they admitted was Aus8 in some cases.
    To my knowledge no one has stepped up to explain their use of "surgical stainless steel" though. LOL

8. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    I was more thinking of sog specifically but that is interesting about cold steel. So the magnadot I have and the air on the way are likely Aus6 and not 440a?

9. KenHash

Sep 11, 2014
    I would pretty much bet on it. Those models were made in Seki(probably by G.Sakai) and Seki City is right next to Aichi Prefecture(State) where Aichi Steel is located. I can not imagine that it would be
    economical to import US made 400A when Aus6/Aus8 is available practically next door. All of SOG's Seki knives I found seem to be Aus6, except for specific models that state otherwise.
    For example the S2 Trident and Scuba Demo were marketed as Aus8 at the time. I am not aware of any info on Folders until the move to VG10 and laminates.

10. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Excellent information Ken. Thank you.

11. Jagravity

Jagravity

Jan 12, 2016
    Mine niether. No jumping on the airsog. No pocket clip as well. U gotta official!