Al Mar Sere (Attack)?

Greetings, I've done some searching and can't seem to find the info I want. I remember the Al Mar SERE folder from the (early??) '80s that Col Nick Rowe helped design. As I recall some were refered to as the 'SERE/Attack' and a version had the SF crest (de oppresso liber) engraved on the bolster. Was there a model 3003, or some such?

Can someone point me to a website with the history of these knives? When were they produced, what were the correct names/models available? Did they come with a leather or corda-type sheath? Any other info is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance..........................

Regards,
Ranger325
RP#544

Last edited:
Have a catolog from the cutlery shoppe from 1995 the model # is 3003A and all it says for the sheath is that they are black leather . And they were called S.E.R.E. Attack folder . Hope this helps

Very helpful. 1995 is later than I was thinking...............
Thank you very much for the info. Let's see if anyone else stops by.

PS Thanks to the Mods for the move to the proper forum. ;)

Regards,
Ranger325
RP#544

Legion (or anyone else) - I'm looking at a 3.5" SERE/Attack with Green neoprene scales. Any ideas of the vintage? Thanks.............

Regards,
Ranger325
RP #544

i have an early '80s SERE, they are larger than the current model, 4" blade IIRC, have a lock back vs a liner lock, no pocket clip, and came in a black nylon belt holster (and are heavy, it didnt carry well in a pocket at all FWIW). i think mine has the SF crest on the sheath, but i might be wrong,

i bought mine outta SOF magazine, for $150 IIRC (a lotta bucks in the day), and carried the thing only a couple of times, not long after i got the SERE i got a spyderco police and very much preffered it for edc, its liter/thinner and has the (to me) all important pocket clip.

i dont know of anyplace to get info on them, maybe the al mar site? i dont even really know what mines worth nowadays, it hasnt been outta the safe for i bet 10 yrs now, i do know if yours is 3.5" i dont think its one of the early ones, IIRC mine is longer than that (i guess i could measure it.......), one way to tell in lockback vs LL, IIRC when they slimmed it downn some for pocket carry, & added the clip, they also went to a LL.

i never saw but a couple of the things, and dont recall any mag articles/etc, this was wayy pre-net, next thing i knew it was more the new ones with the clip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input SIFU1A,

I too remember them from the early 80's and when I worked in the SERE Dept at Bragg. Not much info out there, and nothing of note on the Al Mar site on the older knives. I did find a copy of a print ad online, but it's not dated so I'm not sure of its vintage. It shows three models; Sere/Attack I (3" blade) available with micarta (3001-A) or black (no mention of green) neopreme (3001-B) scales, II (3.5" blade) both scales options 3002-A and B respectively, and III (4.25" blade), 3003-A and B as above.

I have also run across some older posts here that discuss Al Mar fakes - so that just muddies the water. I'll keep on lookin'....................

Regards,
Ranger325
RP#544

Thanks for the link GIRLYmann - some great pics!! Gives me a good comparison reference of sizes, sheath and scale options, etc. And more questions, the SF crest? Not all have it.

I keep looking and asking.....................

Regards,
Ranger325
RP#544

Thanks for the link GIRLYmann - I've seen it before but re-read the whole thread and decided to email Bill Harsey @ Lone Wolf to pick his brain. Now we'll see about a reply.....................;)

Regards,
Ranger325
RP#544

Hi Ranger.

It is very hard to find information on the Al Mar history in common and the SERE Attack Series in special. I own a SERE Attack 3002a myself so did some previous research. SERE is my forum name on several other fora except BF.

The SERE Attack series knows 3 types. The smalest 3001, mid size 3002, large size 3003. The 'a' versions have Micarta scales and the 'b' versions Neoprene scales. Esspecialy the Neoprene versions are coppied a lot later on. The late '70 early '80 AMK had red boxes. Later on in the boxes were overall white with red.

An original 3003a from 1979.
The pouch/sheet tells that its a 1979 model. (This one is no longer for sale btw)

SEREAttack3003a_1979.jpg

This is my own SERE Attack 3002a.
I do not longer have the sheat. The late '80 models had a black Cordura sheat. So this one is probably produced early '90. I've had it for a long time. Its still never used or sharpened.

SEREAttack3002a_Up.jpg

SEREAttack3002a_Down.jpg

SEREAttack3002a_Cld.jpg

Seki-Japan.jpg

The ones with the 'De Oppresso Liber' shield are more rare than the ones without.
Only the early '90 knives were sold with this shield as far as I know.

ac20c788.jpg

Unknown collection
On the left side you'll see the SERE series. Its hard to tell the exact dates.

01cb6375.jpg

1979 Brochure page

4a374b1f.jpg

1989 Brochure page

ab0bdad6.jpg

Very important, the blade markings.

U.S.A SEKI-JAPAN Manufactured in 1979 sold 1979-about 1982
SEKI-JAPAN Manufactured 1980-1997
MOKI/JAPAN 1997-2006
FM Co/JAPAN 2007-to present This stands for "Fadden Mar Company"

These are approximate dates, and only addresses manufacturing dates. Knives were sold over a longer period of time, for instance some "Moki" marked knives are currently being sold, and shipped by AMK.
Source: AMKCC

If you'd like to ask more questions to an expert, go to this small collecters club. You'll find some Fakes and Counterfeits about AMK.
http://mooreknives.vanillaforums.com/categories/al-mar-knives

In memorial
1f93b0fd.jpg

I hope this is of some help. If you find some new info please post it.

Greets

Last edited:
Wouter1967 -
Wow this is amazing!! You've provided more info in one post than I've been able to find in days - I think this will help me alot. Thank you very much.
Your Al Mar's are beautiful, I'm envious. ;)

Any idea which came first, black or green neoprene scales?

I'll check out the link you provided at Moore Knives. Thanks again and we'll talk again soon.

Regards,
Ranger325
RP#544

My dad had almost all of the old Sere series, he left them to me after he passed. Only problem is I have to drive all the way to Georgia to pick them up. I will get them someday soon and post some pics when I do.

Thanks guys for such an interesting thread - great pics and some really excellent links. I had already decided that my folder for next month was going to be a SERE2000 so this thread was extremely timely.

There is some very good info in this thread that I've not seen before, thanks. I have a 3003b from the mid 80s as far as I know. On the side of the blade opposite the Al Mar logo it is marked PP 156 /200. Any one know what this means?

@bladebertt: I have read of Al Mar Knives doing a small initial production of 200 knives of a certain type for delivery to selected dealers and associates to gauge interest, sales potential in it. If the initial batch of 200 knives of a certain type fails to make past this stage, then it probably wouldn't make it into full production.

PP 156/200 might mean Pre-Production knife 156 out of 200.

@bladebertt: I have read of Al Mar Knives doing a small initial production of 200 knives of a certain type for delivery to selected dealers and associates to gauge interest, sales potential in it. If the initial batch of 200 knives of a certain type fails to make past this stage, then it probably wouldn't make it into full production.

PP 156/200 might mean Pre-Production knife 156 out of 200.

:thumbup:

Back