Alaska Carry

Glad you will be coming up. I personally think the SDFK is a perfect camping/hiking knife. There isn’t a situation that it would not be able to handle if you needed it. You will be fine with any CPK you prefer. If you want to borrow a hatchet/axe/Silky while here just let me know.

Just fyi: Depending where you go there may be burning restrictions. Leave room for fishing gear! The skeeters are bad this year so be prepared and you might pack head nets. Be wary of devils club and cow parsnip (hurts!!!). Carry some benadryl (oral and cream or hydrocortisone). The cooler temps here can be misleading to folks from lower 48 not realizing they need to hydrate. The fish are running so bears will be near rivers.

I hope y’all have a great trip and don’t hesitate to yell if you need anything while up here. I live in Anchorage and my cabin property where I spend lots of time is 90 miles North.

Stay safe and have fun!

Glad you will be coming up. I personally think the SDFK is a perfect camping/hiking knife. There isn’t a situation that it would not be able to handle if you needed it. You will be fine with any CPK you prefer. If you want to borrow a hatchet/axe/Silky while here just let me know.

Just fyi: Depending where you go there may be burning restrictions. Leave room for fishing gear! The skeeters are bad this year so be prepared and you might pack head nets. Be wary of devils club and cow parsnip (hurts!!!). Carry some benadryl (oral and cream or hydrocortisone). The cooler temps here can be misleading to folks from lower 48 not realizing they need to hydrate. The fish are running so bears will be near rivers.

I hope y’all have a great trip and don’t hesitate to yell if you need anything while up here. I live in Anchorage and my cabin property where I spend lots of time is 90 miles North.

Stay safe and have fun!
Brother, I’ve been thinking about this for a while and if you don’t mind, I’d be honored to meet up. Pls message me if interested. Also, thank you for the sound advice from one who knows the environment up there.

Best regards,

Michael

Brother, I’ve been thinking about this for a while and if you don’t mind, I’d be honored to meet up. Pls message me if interested. Also, thank you for the sound advice from one who knows the environment up there.

Best regards,

Michael
That would be awesome. I don’t want to intrude on your visit but would definitely want to say hi.
Brian

This. Esp. since you said you're just going to be doing hiking day trips and not camping. Those two should be more than adequate.
Makes sense. This will be a leisurely trip with much more adventurous ones to come. I haven’t been to Alaska since summering there at the age of 14. So glad the kid got stationed up there so we can visit.

Verdict: I’ll bring the SDFK and Reaper on this trip. Next time, Medium Chopper and FK2. Come to think of it….I gotta bring a UF2 also…cuz I’m a junkie ! 🤪

Makes sense. This will be a leisurely trip with much more adventurous ones to come. I haven’t been to Alaska since summering there at the age of 14. So glad the kid got stationed up there so we can visit.

Verdict: I’ll bring the SDFK and Reaper on this trip. Next time, Medium Chopper and FK2. Come to think of it….I gotta bring a UF2 also…cuz I’m a junkie ! 🤪

Perfect.

And, I can't stress this enough - always be within arm's reach of your SAK. ;)

SAK ??? Got the rest of the list but I’m not sure what a “SAK” is. Well, bear spray I’ll be buying up there…and of course, a 10mm just in case the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. Thank you.
Swiss Army Knife! The area around Anchorage is beautiful, enjoy your hikes. I have only been there 3 times, hopefully I’ll get to visit again soon.
Seriously you don’t need a gun unless you’re hunting; but you are wise to purchase bear spray “just in case “. There are occasional bears in the Anchorage area. Check with the park rangers, they try to stay on top of any nuisance bear sightings.
Other than that it’s no more dangerous than mountain hiking in the lower 48. Have a great time!

The older I get, the harder it is to reach my SAK ! 🤣

Fortunately, my Leatherman just rides on my belt. 👍🏼

I can get to it in the shower with my foot up on... sorry.. a Leatherman is just as good anyway.

I don't track your personal inventory but if I were in your shoes it would be a light chopper in a pack and a FK on the belt, then a big folder in my pocket.

Most importantly enjoy your trip! one of the things we've been planning to do before too long.

Last edited:
Swiss Army Knife! The area around Anchorage is beautiful, enjoy your hikes. I have only been there 3 times, hopefully I’ll get to visit again soon.
Seriously you don’t need a gun unless you’re hunting; but you are wise to purchase bear spray “just in case “. There are occasional bears in the Anchorage area. Check with the park rangers, they try to stay on top of any nuisance bear sightings.
Other than that it’s no more dangerous than mountain hiking in the lower 48. Have a great time!
Lots of bears live in the Anchorage bowl! The nuisance bears usually become that way from people unfortunately being lazy and/or stupid. There are opportunistic bears that will do what bears do. Park Rangers are only in the parks, so just using common sense goes a long way. Bears are part of the greatness here, and as you say having a great time is the key. I love having black and brown bears on my cabin property and love watching them. Having taken care of bear mauling victims and having close encounters with them, I have a deep respect for them.

Back