Albers Cutlery Company

My
I think it might be time to start an Albers Cutlery Company thread. Eric Albers might have some new knives coming out soon. ea42 ea42
kNVvvnB.jpg

So7twXu.jpg
My knife arrived today. It is the blue and yellow kirinite pictured above. It is perfect. Weight, finish, size. I am so impressed with the craftsmanship.

I feel very lucky and I will also get back in the queue for another soon.

,,,Mike in Canada

Does this model have a name or a number?

Maybe I will do like the Borg and call mine 7 of 15?

Or again on the Star Trek theme,,,Eric's Enterprise?

ACC1 - Albers Cutlery Company #1?

The one(1) ? As in you have to get "One".

,,,Mike in Canada

OK, here are a couple comparison photos of my Albers Cut. Co. and a GEC #15. I have a few clip point #15’s, but this one seemed like the best apples-to-apples comparison — single clip, stainless steel, wood covers, shield.

5iRdtX2.jpg

As I said in my previous post, the Albers is just a hair shorter than the GEC #15 (3 3/8” vs. 3 1/2” closed). The handle is slightly wider, and tapers less toward the bolster. The Albers is also thicker than the GEC (sorry, I didn’t get a top-down photo showing that). These differences are substantial enough to give it a beefier feel in-hand.

The blade shapes aren’t drastically different, but there are a few things worth noting. The spine and edge on Eric’s blade run more parallel to each other, giving it a “straighter” look (if that makes sense), and clip is a bit shorter. The nail nick on the GEC is further forward. Both blades have very similar swedges. (By the way, Eric, really nice job on that swedge! Mine looks perfect.) :thumbsup:

6qjsJHS.jpg

I’d say that the GEC blade is ground a bit thinner behind the edge, but only slightly. The thickness of the blade stock at the spine looks identical to my eye. Eric’s edge is much better than GEC’s typical factory edge.

The Albers has a stronger pull, but I’m able to pinch it open more easily than the GEC thanks to the satin finish on the blade.

I’ll tell you one thing: I’m glad I don’t have to pick a favorite between these two, because that would be tough! :D Seriously, Eric, well done on these. It’s a fantastic knife, and I have a feeling they’re only going to get better! :thumbsup:

Thought I'd add a top-down pic to show the difference in thickness to your excellent comparison. The knife on the right is a Burnt Orange Bone version of the same GEC 15 run that you showed. The pic doesn't show that big a difference, but the Albers has a bit more of a substantial feel to me. Two of my favorite knives! :thumbsup:

FiZd8sT.jpg

Thought I'd add a top-down pic to show the difference in thickness to your excellent comparison. The knife on the right is a Burnt Orange Bone version of the same GEC 15 run that you showed. The pic doesn't show that big a difference, but the Albers has a bit more of a substantial feel to me. Two of my favorite knives! :thumbsup:

FiZd8sT.jpg

That looks really nice. I am more impressed the more I learn about these. I can’t wait for the next batch, if they aren’t already all spoken for.

You should send an email, stating your "wishes". He has said he's going to be trying to make them in batches of 50, over a 3 week period, IIRC. Speak now, or forever.... wait, that's for something else....:cool:

The Albers' nail nick is better than the GEC and steel liners trump GEC as well.

Good job! :)

Hey folks! Just wanted to say that I'm trying to avoid any orders for the time being. I really want to get the website up and this first official batch finished before I start branching out. I know with as much as I have going on right now that trying to take any kinds of orders will just lead to me misplacing things and upsetting people, which is the LAST thing I want to see happening right now. Eventually that will be an option, but for the very short term, say a few weeks, I need to get all my ducks in a row first. Heck I'm still answering messages from a week ago! :eek::):)
I do have about five different handle materials in this batch so it'll definitely be interesting. I'll try to give as many people as I can a heads up once things are officially up and running. The pics you guys have been putting up are looking great by the way!!!

Eric

Last edited:
I'm trying to avoid any orders for the time being. I really want to get the website up

with as much as I have going on right now that trying to take any kinds of orders will just lead to me misplacing things and upsetting people

I need to get all my ducks in a row first.
That is the way to go.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. You will be a lot better off in the long run.:) Have a good week.;)

I think the Albers Cutlery blade is thicker, and the liners are steel instead of brass.

I meant to mention the liners in my comparison. I prefer the steel, although they do add some extra weight to the knife.

I just put mine spine to spine, the blade stock thickness is exactly the same.

The Albers' nail nick is better than the GEC and steel liners trump GEC as well.

Good job! :)

I will say, this is one instance where I prefer the GEC. The more forward placement of the nail nick makes it easier to open. Nothing wrong with Eric’s nail nick, but if I had to choose…

I can totally see you point regarding the nail nicks Barrett. I've been considering moving it forward just a bit on the next batch of blades. It would entail tilting it down a bit more as well as I don't want it to get in the way of the swedge. I do prefer the look of it being more parallel to the blade back though so I may play with it a bit to see how it looks. Got about a hundred and fifty blades to go through before I get to that point.

Eric

Mate i never tell anyone what to do, if i could give you some advise though. Get your website done properly and how you want it to look and run, if that means more time on it in the short term, so be it. It is your shop front, where people go to too support your business. If there are glitches and it does not function properly, it is one of the main reasons people will leave and not go back to it, i know knife people who want to get one of your knives might put up with it and think it is no big deal. But trust me in the long term it will affect your business, in marketing, this is why google charge a premium for people to get on their front page, it is no coincidence that first impressions count. Most people purchase from companies on page one of google, those on page three get very few searches. I realize that you have a niche, some what captive audience, but long term get your website up and working so you can hit the ground running, and do not have to be on the phone to a Tech guy half the time. Just want to too see you be successful, not telling you what to do. All the best into the future.

Cudgee I never disregard anyone's advise, it's always appreciated! I totally agree with you too, hopefully it'll turn out well. I plan on photographing and separately listing each individual knife so there aren't any surprises. I've seen the vast differences in appearance that you can have with like handle materials so this way it'll all be right in front of you.

Eric

Cudgee I never disregard anyone's advise, it's always appreciated! I totally agree with you too, hopefully it'll turn out well. I plan on photographing and separately listing each individual knife so there aren't any surprises. I've seen the vast differences in appearance that you can have with like handle materials so this way it'll all be right in front of you.

Eric

If you get your structure right to start with you'll be fine. You already have a great reputation, you work is desired and good artisans will always have a customer base. You'll be fine, and i wish you all the best with your venture, i am already a future customer.;)

I meant to mention the liners in my comparison. I prefer the steel, although they do add some extra weight to the knife.

I just put mine spine to spine, the blade stock thickness is exactly the same.

I will say, this is one instance where I prefer the GEC. The more forward placement of the nail nick makes it easier to open. Nothing wrong with Eric’s nail nick, but if I had to choose…

I meant the nail nick is better executed on the Albers. Placement can really only be judged with the knife in hand and opening it.

Back