Almost Died Today

barrabas74

Gold Member
I dont know if I should post this, I am just talking aloud and need to....talk. I went kayaking today and was on flat water. My father an G/F and I went, they were on the shore about 200 yards around a bend from me when I made a mistake and rolled my Kayak (I didnt get a full breathe in, in fact I said oh crap and breathed out). At first I was ok, I reached for my loop on the sprayskirt and tried to pull back, only the loop was under the skirt and I didnt notice it when I had left shore. I tried and tried and eventually I pulled hard and back and accidently breathed in....everything went black for I dont know how long. I remember coming too and seeing the sun and feeling very calm then knowing if I didnt do something I was going to drown. I tried to kick out the skirt but my knee's wouldnt come up I grabbed all around and tried to pull myself up....things started to get hazy and I know I screamed underwater, everything seemed blurry. I tried one last time on the side of the skirt and it popped free.

I dont remember getting out of the kayak only coming to the surface and taking the greatest breath of my life even though I could only partially breathe as my longs felt full. I could stand in the middle of the river and took a few breathes and was forced to cough up water and vomit. I made it to shore and tried to empty the kayak but couldnt manage my hands to do the work. I collapsed on shore for I dont know how long and managed myself to empty the kayak and eventually work my way back. I did get back into the Kayak and paddled to them and got to shore.

I did go to the ER and they said I was very lucky and had a "near drowning experience". I dont think my father and g/f understand....I still dont feel right, cant explain it. I felt so alone....more alone than I have ever felt in my entire life knowing that no one could save me. I just kept thinking "I am going to die here if I dont fight until I cant fight anymore...I cant go like this". The strangest thing is the silence.....dead silence, there is no sound but your thoughts and its earily peaceful and scary at the same time.

If the mods need to move this its ok. I just needed to write something, I am still not right from it and I am supposed to be watched for a day to make sure pnuemonia does not set in. I hope this doesnt sound like whining.

Thanks for listening.

While I love the water, this one reason I don't kayak. Had to be terrifying:eek:

Sure glad you came out of it to post to us. Sounds like it wasn't your time to go.

Keep safe and sharp

God bless

OMG!! Im sorry to hear about your experience! I know how you feel, kinda. Although my experience wasn't as severe, when I was a younger lad I went to Crooked Creek lake near my camp and played a game of chicken with my girlfriend, friend, and his girlfriend. We tried boys vs. girls and my friend was on my shoulders(note he is bigger than me) and his girlfriend was on my girlfriends shoulders. Bottom line is he pretty much let his girlfriend beat him and kinda forgot about me under the water, to the point that i passed out and woke up on the beach. Scary stuff...I never want to go through that again. Sorry you did

Its not whineing at all. Just try to focus on the fact that you survived and are still here for your Father and g/f. I have been through a very similar situation with a white water canoe and I really thought my time was up but I learned from it. Keep your chin up.:thumbup::thumbup:

A life changing experience for sure. Glad you made it through that experience alive and thanks for sharing. It helps us all remember how short and precious life is.

I'm glad we didn't lose you! And you aren't whining, by any means. Anyone who has had a near-death experience will be able to relate! :eek: I think these things happen to us for a reason, and time alone will determine if that is true for you. Meantime, glad you are still with us!

on_the_edge

Gold Member
I nearly drowned myself almost 30 years ago, so reading your post was like deja vu.

Glad to see that you made through things ok. Life is very fragile.

knife hunter

"Die Hard Hog" Moderator & Dealer
whew brother,

Id say have a drink, but dont know if thatd be good on the lungs,

but might help your spirits!

Hey brothua Hog,

Your too damn tuff for dieing!

OINK OINK!!

PS

I remember falling out of boat when I was around 4-5. My dad finally saved me, pulled me up and swam me to shore, God Bless Him.

But the main thing I remember these days..... is him handing me his cigarettes that were only a little wet while he swam off to get the boat that had the trolling motor on low. LMAO!:D:D

See you'll be ok bro.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Ban

I had a pretty bad drowning experience myself when I was about 4yrs old. I do remember the calm feeling before passing out after the initial panic. All I remember is waking up on the shore afterwards.

Thank goodness you made it out ok. :thumbup:

Wow- that is an intense story...one of my greatest fears is suffocation/ drowning....if the ER says you are good to go, you probably are (physically), there's always a chance you got a little bit of bad water in your lungs....I was an avid whitewater kayaker (who always managed to make my rolls thankfully) until I kept getting bacterial ear infections from my favorite river (the Ocoee in TN)...

glad you made it home, hope you feel more yourself tomorrow!

Wow, that is very scary to read ---- must have been unbelievable to actually experience...

I'm sure grateful that you are okay...

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
Definitely have to keep a watch on your lungs. The ER waas a brilliant move -- lots can go wrong when you drown, even when you make it back.

When I was a toddler, I went under the waves, and my uncle pulled me out in time, held my by my heels to drain the water out of my lungs, and pumped the rest out. I still remember the silence, and the peaceful, dull feeling before I blacked out.

mymindisamob

Platinum Member
I've had a couple bad accounts in the water myself. Thanks for sharing, it really reminds me of how we need to be careful. Glad you are OK so far and you are in our prayers.

barrabas74

Gold Member
Thank you for your kind words guys, I definatley have lost that feeling of invincebility. The hardest part to cope with is the fact that I made such a small mistake but it made such a HUGE difference. If the loop had been out I would have been able to pull out easily.

I took a crew down the lower Youghiogheny friday and it all went smoothly so this was even more shocking to my family. Its crazy how in times of leisure very serious things can happen, I guess thats why I didnt check my sprayskirt.

I have gone through other very scary almost near death experiences but nothing like drowning. It just doenst matter how big or strong you are.

Again thanks everyone, I do really appreciate it and I am grateful to have you guys to come and talk to.

Glad you are OK man....

Had a close call when I was 6 at a public beach where some (7) college kids playing football on the beach ran into/over me and was stuck under them underwater.

Don't recall much, but reawoke hackin out lake water.

Hope no long term effects brother.

Wow! Glad to hear that you're okay.

Water can be one of the most beautiful and dangerous things ever made.

I can only imagine what it must have been like for you to go through this, but I know that there is a reason that you made it out.

Glad you are ok and that is one of the scarriest experiences one could have.

Two things to remember:

1. You didn't give up and kept fighting.

2. You made it and now are stronger on some level and you survived. You learned something as well.

Keep your head up brother! Watch your health the next few weeks and don't be afraid to talk to someone.

Even though you don't know me, if you need to talk, e-mail me and I'd call. cmdr249 at yahoo (dot) com