Alox Cadet, Victorinox' best SAK

My favorite Swiss Army Tool is the Victorinox Alox Cadet. I love that knife. It is flat and light weight. It has most of the tools a person really needs and none they don't. Today, I was walking out to my motorcycle and the large screw that holds on the face shield and other things, fell out. What to do? My Spyderco was not going to fix it. My Vic Classic SD nor my Vic Rally (new name for another model) as they were too small. So, I pulled out my Cadet, popped open the large screwdriver, and viola! Problem solved.

VN53043.1.jpg

I have quite a number of Victorinox knives and tools, but I find the most satisfaction in the Cadet. Even dressed in dress pants, the knife looks good and does not sag my pants. It is a great all purpose, general, everyday knife. I think it is the best one Victorinox makes, over all.

It's hard to argue against the cadet!

Nice and flat, and the basic scout layout is a grew all around user. I just wish they would replace the nail file with a scaled down awl like on the pioneer.

It's hard to argue against the cadet!

Nice and flat, and the basic scout layout is a grew all around user. I just wish they would replace the nail file with a scaled down awl like on the pioneer.

+1... or a small pen blade... I find that the nail file has a tendency to scratch the main blade. Okay for users, but not for the collection pieces. I kinda like the old cadet for having 2 blade length options.

An awl would be okay, but I would rather replace the nail file with a set of scissors.

The Cadet is a marvel, unequalled in the amount of utility it offers for its size. I can understand those who would prefer to swap out the nail file (especially for the Pioneer's wonderful inline awl), but as I typically carry the Cadet while wearing dress slacks, a nail grooming tool often comes in handy.

I like the Cadet, wish they still made the Cadet 2, which is an Alox Recruit. Wish I'd bought one when they were discontinued back in 2008 or thereabouts. Still, the Cadet is a great pattern for general utility. I picked up like four of them when Target had them on clearance a few years ago.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would get rid of the can opener (does anyone use it???). Make it a short file still with the same small screwdriver tip. That opens up the existing file spot to a awl, scissors, or pen blade. An awl would be my vote.

It's one of my favorite office knives. I wasn't sure what I would think about the nail file, but it has turned out to be useful. The can opener has been pretty handy as well.

+1... or a small pen blade... I find that the nail file has a tendency to scratch the main blade. Okay for users, but not for the collection pieces. I kinda like the old cadet for having 2 blade length options.

Yes! I could go with the second blade instead of the nail file. They need to bring back the cadet 2.

I don't even own a countertop style can opener! I've only used Vic's for the past 20 years or so for can openers. I like the Cadet a lot, mainly for it's thinness. I guess I'd swap the nail file for either an awl or pen blade.

+1 A black alox cadet is an EDC for me along with a micarta sebenza. I also keep a cherry black alox cadet in a display case in my office to admire. Love that knife.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I won't deny the alox SAK's have their attraction. I have to have a scissors for sure, and I would miss the tweezeers and toothpick. Also I've found many uses for the corkscrew.
I'd love to see Vic do an Alox Explorer plus. I forgot to mention, I don't know how many times the pen has been handy. Anyway alox is nice, until you get addicted to the tools on the standard SAK's.

It is MY favorite SAK too!! That and the Alox Soldier.

Very nice! I found an orange one and may buy it. The price was a little steep and that is why I have hesitated.

I wonder what the 2017 will be?

One can never argue someone's choice of vic as they have something for everyone, but where's the toothpick and tweezers man ? At least you pair it with a classic 😉

My personal preference is the vic recruit since I don't need to pair it with my classic because it has its own small blade and it's own toothpick & tweezers. My leatherman fuse has scissors so I'm covered there too. I know the nail tool can fit some small Phillips screws, but the second blade is nice and I already have a nail tool on my little TRIM's and a vic quatro driver around my neck that I can turn small screws with.
Alox seems nice so I wouldn't mind getting a vic farmer, but for me the cadet wouldn't suit my needs as well as the recruit does.

My old straight ribbed Cadet is really the only SAK I ever carry anymore and even then I cant remember the last time it was used .
For a while I was Alox SAK crazy and had many different models and colors , but all I have now is a Farmer , Electrician , Apprentice and my two identical old straight ribbed Cadets .
The fact that I have two of them shows my appreciation of a great knife design
All the rest have passed on to friends who actually have a need for them , but those Cadets will always stay .

Ken

The Huntsman is pretty good, too. Has the scissors, saw, pinch/awl ... and still not too thick or heavy for the pocket.

Back