Alright guys...whats your favorite Sodbuster?

After some serious reprofiling, the Queen Soddie is my top choice

Pinch open and snap
A solid sharp worker
Reprofiled to a quite acute angle on the point
This thing slices and cuts!

Actually it is my only choice, I do not have other soddies

attachment.php

Out of interest, the two bladed Queen City Copperhead has the same blade as the Soddie, but in carbon

Last edited:

midnight flyer

Basic Member
I'm in the Queen with D2 camp as well. Good fit, great finish, and love the D2. Snaps open and closed with great authority. It is rust resistant enough that I don't have to worry about babying it during hot sweaty work days. Any rust it gets will easily come off with an old fashioned ink eraser.

I also like the fatter, more rounded handles. It makes it easier for me to make repeated heavy cuts with over my Bulldog soddie, which has the same profile as the CASE.

Robert

the rat

Gold Member
I like the Case yellow cv model myself. Takes a great edge and seems to hold it fairly well.

This might cause a bit of revolt, but I see my Opinel as a close cousin to the American Sodbuster. Simple folder. Not as stout as a folding hunter (e.g. Buck 110) but sturdy enough for rough utility work on a farm. Blade shapes aren't dramatically different.

If you haven't shot me yet, then I would say my Opinel #8 is my favorite "Sodbuster". Or should that be "dresseur de gazon"?

Arathol

Basic Member
This is the sodbuster I carry, a Scagel Dogwood. More or less sodbuster anyhow. The ATS 34 blade is a bit different, a 2 1/2" drop point with a scandi convex grind. Only 3 3/8" long but its a real handful of knife.

IMGP7133a.jpg

This might cause a bit of revolt, but I see my Opinel as a close cousin to the American Sodbuster. Simple folder. Not as stout as a folding hunter (e.g. Buck 110) but sturdy enough for rough utility work on a farm. Blade shapes aren't dramatically different.

If you haven't shot me yet, then I would say my Opinel #8 is my favorite "Sodbuster". Or should that be "dresseur de gazon"?

I have no argument with this. :thumbup:

If one considers the original 'spirit' of the sodbuster pattern (simple, inexpensive, ergonomic and PURELY functional), I think the Opinel is as close as one could get, without actually having a sodbuster.

My only Sodbuster is a Case Sodbuster Jr. I've made it my sharpest knife. I stopped carrying it for a while until yesterday when I took it out for the day. After a few hours I realized why I had shelved it. The pivot was stiff beyond belief. It was unusable. It was kind of a bummer only because I seem to get more comments on that knife than many of my others, modern or traditional. I put a drop of 3-in-1 in it this morning and the thing is good as new. Ready for another ride tomorrow.

Modoc ED

Gold Member
Here are a few of mine.

Green Bulldog Brand 3 3/4"; Yellow Case Sodbuster Jr. 3 5/8"; Amber Queen Country Cousin 3 5/8"

sodbustergroup.jpg

The top Sodbuster in the picture is a Yellow Bulldog Brand 4 3/4"

Here is my latest Sodbuster 4 5/8"SS Case 4138 Navy Blue Composition Workman Series

casesodbusternavybluecob.jpg

My favorite of them all is my CV Case 3 5/8" Yellow Delrin Sod Buster Jr.

Easyrider

Gold Member
I have enjoyed this thread very much, thank you. I have been sitting on the fence post about getting a Sodbuster nd after looking at all of the photos I think I'm going to go ahead and order myself a Queen Country Cousin Sodbuster.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
i love sodbusters. i only have the case sodbuster jr. but looking at all of these awesome pics of some others makes me want a few different ones!

My Seals customized case soddie jr with orange micarta handles and filework. If were just going regular production case soddie in cv yeller handle.

I have no argument with this. :thumbup:

If one considers the original 'spirit' of the sodbuster pattern (simple, inexpensive, ergonomic and PURELY functional), I think the Opinel is as close as one could get, without actually having a sodbuster.

Ok, here's my french dresseur de gazon...

opinel.JPG

I think at some point I'm taking a file to the clip and converting this to more of a drop point.