am i crazy for wanting a mini mill??

I’m only making fixed blade western style knives. So I’m not sure I really need a mill, but I don’t doubt I’ll try folders at some point. But I don’t want to spend a decent amount of money on a junk drill press. A machine that can perform more than one task just seems ideal. Not sure what I should do as of now.
I know the feeling. I bought my drill press and bandsaw used last summer just to "get me going". I knew they were not the best .... but I got them pretty cheap, but they were enough to get me going. Problem is as time went on, I started seeing more and more how they were not giving me the performance I was starting to want .... so I decided to not really cut any corners on the mill.

Like i said, I did not really want it for metal (except for brass bolsters) .... but I really wanted it as a way to pretty quickly and repeatedly get fixed blade scales with reasonable flatness and definable thickness. I especially wanted it to create small (and accurate) thickness components for elements of Wa handles. I also have done a fair amount of drilling into hardened steel .... and t he mill is supposed to be really good for that (using carbide bits I think?). I honestly have no complaints at this point.....

Hmm. I think I’ll start really considering a mill. Unfortunately, the LMS high torque mill is out of stock.
The "Mill" is a luxury item....Do some research on all the additional accessories you will need to purchase because it adds up fast and is usually hundreds of dollars before you can drill the first hole.

Back