Am I on the right track buying these budget knives?

Hey folks new member here my name is Colin. About a year ago I bought a new knife from TwoSun China at auction. It was a D2 blade with VG10 handle inlays. Well anyways I kinda like the knife and am impressed with its overall quality for the US$40ish bux I paid. I don't know a lot about knives and all the makes and models out there. So I was just asking what you folks think about TwoSun flipper knives (folding knives)... see I don't even know the right words. I just ordered a couple more Twosuns which are in the mail one a M390? blade, the other a D2. They seem to go for $50-200+ US dollars depending on the model. Should I buy a different budget knife or are these decent for the money? I'm not into spending $600 for a pocket/EDC knife but would spend a couple of hundred if I had too. Anyways great forum ya'all got here lots of info & stuff.

I look upon knife buying as a learning process, and a journey of discovery.

Sometimes that process can be long, expensive, and occasionally painful, where you buy knife after knife until you find the right one, or ones, that are right for you.

And sometimes the process can be short, quick, and far less expensive and painful if you are fortunate enough to be directed to a knife or knives that you really like, and serve your needs, without having to go through the long, drawn out process alone.

That being said, I see benefits to both methods.

Throughout my 51 years I've purchased several knives, some were winners, some were losers, some cheap/inexpensive, some cost hundreds of dollars. I regret some of my purchases, I wish I hadn't bought them, but I value the experience and the lessons I've learned. Our mistakes are part of what make us who we are today.

I say, buy what you like, buy what you think will best serve your needs, but keep an open mind to the suggestions, advice, and recommendations of others. That's what I do.

Some of my favorite knives cost $8. out of China. A knife I got a lot of hard use out of in my construction business also cost $8 (on sale) and was also made in China. And another of my favorite knives, one that also got used hard at work, is a semi-custom, made in USA, that cost $300.

My biggest knife regret was a knife, made in the US, that cost $300 (it had serious "lock-rock").

I buy what I like, I buy what I think will best serve my needs. I prefer to buy American, but I won't turn my nose up at a knife made in China (I've got one on the way now).

Good luck in your journey, and welcome to Bladeforums. You came to the right place.

Last edited:
I've got a Petrified Fish coming in the mail, and I think it was made by them.. .

Attachments

• PF 858 08.jpg
    PF 858 08.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 23
Thanks Killgar good advice for sure. I've just been checking out the "show us what your working on in your workshop" thread here and wow...just wow. Amazing pieces being created by members.

I haven't seen that petrified fish before, is that a TwoSun knife? Looks purdy...

The best I can come up with; is that I THINK it is...
It's got D2 steel under the hood, and G10 scales.

Here's a link to the only info I've found about them...

Last edited:
I have Japanese whetstones in #300 #1000 #5000 which I use for my kitchen knives. Wonder how I should sharpen D2? Maybe just like I do other knifes I suppose

Kinda looking forward to my M390 TwoSun arriving, many folks 'like' that steel. Then again it's coming from China it could be anything lol.

It really depends upon your feelings about buying knives from places like China. While predominantly known for clones, fakes, etc, the last 7-8 years has seen an explosion of quality, original designs coming from there at all price points. WE/Civivi, Reate, Kizer, Bestech, etc all make fantastic knives that hit way above their belt.

I find that for folders at least, I can get pretty much everything I want for $250 or less. Often, I will take a popular knife like Spyderco's and customize them with scales, clips, hardware, etc. Its definitely a rabbit hole to say the least.

Well, you can buy one $200 knife or 3 or 4 $50 Two Sun knives. No real difference in quality judging from what I have seen and owned, and sometimes the Two Sun knives are better. I find that Two Sun is a very good value if you want a decent folder.
If you look around, how many framelocks with D2 and milled titanium handles can you find for under $100....
0IMKMKk.jpg

Or a linen micarta flipper in 14C28N for $45
rQVJUcz.jpg

Or maybe a milled titanium slipjoint with copper inlay and machined billet clip in M390 for under $100
4JkD9t6.jpg

Or if you like small pocket knives, 14C28N damascus with brass and snakewood...for well under $100
clKZjM2.jpg

Buy what you like. But if you can get to a knife store and fondle a bunch of different knives it would give you some perspective. Not sure if that would cause you to spend less or more though . . . Probably more.

It just depends on your needs and wants. They have steel nowadays for just about any situation including salt water. Personally, I don't waste my money on 'budget' knives anymore - maybe I'm just a cranky old fart. But I would rather have one great quality knife that 10 'budget' knives.

Welcome to the forums.

*Most* people go the same route. They buy less expensive knives, learn what they like and don't like (for example, types of locks, length of blade, blade steel, etc), and then they start to spend more $ on knives. There is no right or wrong way. A lot will depend on your disposable income and how much you want to spend on a knife. Most of my knives are around the $50-120 usd mark.

Depending on where you live, make sure you follow and abide by the local laws. Some states/cites have rules regarding how long a blade can be.

A few questions.
1. What size glove to do you wear? If you wear a 2xl glove like I do, I prefer to carry a blade of 3.5" or larger most days. If you wear a S glove, you might find a Cold Steel Recon 1 odd to carry. Again, make sure you follow your local laws for blade length. This is just a general question to help narrow down what size blade might be best for you.

2. Do you lose things often? If you are type of person who misplaces their keys or wallet on a regular basis that is one good reason NOT to buy an expensive knife.

I would also suggest you look at a Swiss Army Knife (SAK). Many can be had for under $50 and depending on your job and/or hobbies, the extra tools are great to have around. The Ranger, Explorer, and Fieldmaster are some of my favorites.

Twosun makes solid knives.

Their designs are outsourced so they vary greatly but the quality is always very good for the price.

Personally I'm not a fan of D2 due it its low corrosion resistance, but in dry climates it's a pretty practical steel.

Don't get too caught up on the idea that more money means better knives. There's some degree of truth to that in the sense that $10 gas station knives are pretty much always going to be dogshit but you can get decent stuff for around $35.

Arathol, I like the look of that frame lock and the milled slip joint. Any model numbers? I can't find them yet.

Well, you can buy one $200 knife or 3 or 4 $50 Two Sun knives. No real difference in quality judging from what I have seen and owned, and sometimes the Two Sun knives are better. I find that Two Sun is a very good value if you want a decent folder.
If you look around, how many framelocks with D2 and milled titanium handles can you find for under $100....
0IMKMKk.jpg

Or a linen micarta flipper in 14C28N for $45
rQVJUcz.jpg

Or maybe a milled titanium slipjoint with copper inlay and machined billet clip in M390 for under $100
4JkD9t6.jpg

Or if you like small pocket knives, 14C28N damascus with brass and snakewood...for well under $100
clKZjM2.jpg

Back