Am I the only one with a sour taste in my mouth over this

On the other forum we have been asking for an RMD made in INFI for going on two years now. So I go over the exchange to find out these are being sold at Blade?!?!?!?
Maybe I am over reacting a bit with this but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth that the few of us on the Swamp forum ask for a brotherhood blade only to have it made and sold to the general public.

Rant over.

Now I just have to see if I can have it built by the custom shop or pray they have some at Knob Creek next time around.

Patrick, I'd say it's disappointing, but the general goal was achieved.
And let's not kid ourselves, even if they were made for the bunch of us over at the Swamp, a bigger number would still go to gen pop...

Is sour bad? Sour patch kids are delicious with a sharp edge to them.

I think it is code.

At first you are sour, but an INFI RMD is so freakin sweet!!!

From what I've seen posted so far they are neither FFG or comp. finish....so it's not "perfect yet".

But...since the INFI RMD is no longer a wishful want, but a reality...perhaps the custom shop will uhmmm...make it "right".

Here's a thought to consider....this may be the first true INFI Rat and that alone makes it pretty darn cool, a great user knife as well as a collectible piece of history.

Maybe a Ganza will follow Blade and....well maybe....who knows?....

Help me out here, guys. Other than increased corrosion resistance, I can't figure out what INFI provides in a knife the size of the RMD that you don't get with SR101 . . . especially for the difference in price. Is there REALLY a compelling reason to buy an INFI RMD that costs more than twice as much as an SR101 RMD, or is it just the irresistable lure of INFI that's got you in its grip? :confused:

PS: For what it's worth, I own multiple RMDs. :)

Last edited:
Help me out here, guys. Other than increased corrosion resistance, I can't figure out what INFI provides in a knife the size of the RMD that you don't get with SR101 . . . especially for the difference in price. Is there REALLY a compelling reason to buy an INFI RMD that costs more than twice as much as an SR101 RMD, or is it just the irresistable lure of INFI that's got you in its grip? :confused:

PS: For what it's worth, I own multiple RMDs. :)

It's because I own several (many satin) RMDs that I really want(ed) for an INFI version. Yes, the corrosion resistance is a big factor in the want, especially on a satin (or otherwise naked) Rat. But it's also the benefits of high likelihood of roll-not-chip and the like of the INFI (I'm certainly no expert).

I've chopped trees w/ RMDs just to see if I could...I can. So, an INFI RMD is all the benefits of a Busse steel mixed with the often well-liked ergos and easily carried size of the RMD in one knife.

So let me get this straight. You can chop down trees with an SR101 RMD and with proper care and maintenance, you can keep corrosion to a minimum. Also, I've never had an SR101 knife chip out on me nor have I heard that they're prone to do so. So in reality, a little more corrosion resistance coupled with the ineluctable Siren's Song of INFI have made you willing to pay over twice as much for a knife whose performance may not exceed that which you already have in your SR101 RMD's.

Have I got that right? :)

Last edited:
The INFI-coot was a true INFI Swamp Rat. Supposedly a mistake, but still INFI.

The ONLY benefit I see in having an INFI blade this size is corrosion resistance. I still want one.

The ONLY benefit I see in having an INFI blade this size is corrosion resistance. I still want one.
And that's the ONLY argument that cannot be overcome. :D Still, more than double is quite a price to pay for a little more corrosion resistance if you ask me.

So here's an idea. Let me know when you're ready to have your tree chopping contest. You bring your INFImandu and I'll bring my RatManDu and we'll see who prevails in the end. ;)

Last edited:
The cost of INFI is the reason I don't own any right now. The benefits just don't offset the cost enough for me. INFI sure does sharpen up real nice, though.

Never said SR101 chips...just pointing out a common mentioned benefit of INFI. RS101 from the Swamp Rocks!

Think of it like the time Peanut butter met Chocolate....sweetness amplified...that is the INFI RMD.

As to a chop-off...sure, let's meet up...I'll bring my toys, you bring yours. We'll start w/ paper, then trees, concrete and steel...why not?

The cost of INFI is the reason I don't own any right now. The benefits just don't offset the cost enough for me. INFI sure does sharpen up real nice, though.

Have you seen the edge SR101 can take? :eek: It's practically legendary! :D

Think of it like the time Peanut butter met Chocolate....sweetness amplified...that is the INFI RMD.
Peanut butter mixed with gold flakes, you mean. ;)

As to a chop-off...sure, let's meet up...I'll bring my toys, you bring yours. We'll start w/ paper, then trees, concrete and steel...why not?
Why not, indeed? Sometimes it's fun to find out what's on the inside of a rock. :D

So here's my take on INFI. I've got one INFI knife that I keep on display so I can look at it adoringly from time to time and say to myself . . . "WOW! INFI!!!" All of the fixed-blade knives I actually use and would be willing to stake my life on if the SHTF are made out of SR101. And in no way do I feel underequipped with them.

Last edited:
Have you seen the edge SR101 can take? :eek: It's practically legendary! :D
Oh yes, I have plenty of experience sharpening both. I was just saying that INFI takes much less effort to get sharp. The two steels that I was able to get sharp enough to scrare me were SR101 and D2, though.

Peanut butter mixed with gold flakes, you mean. ;)

Why not, indeed? Sometimes it's fun to find out what's on the inside of a rock. :D

So here's my take on INFI. I've got one INFI knife that I keep on display so I can look at it adoringly from time to time and say to myself . . . "WOW! INFI!!!" All of the fixed-blade knives I actually use and would be willing to stake my life on if the SHTF are made out of SR101. And in no way do I feel underequipped with them.

What is that one infi knife if you don't mind me asking.

Back