• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Amazon -Any Gripes?

I am not a Prime member as I feel that the amount of stuff I order does not justify the cost. I try to take advantage of their "free shipping" option over a certain dollar amount. But.....

I just ordered some odds and ends from them and selected "free shipping". I get the email notice that they anticipate delivery in about 3 or 4 weeks and the stuff is in stock. Used to be you added a few days to the process. Now I believe Amazon is trying to push their customers to their prime membership for adequate service.

Seriously thinking about dumping Amazon for future purchases as much as possible. What say you?

The deal is that they simply don't process or fill the order and the "free shipping" is only a few days longer than several paid shipping options. Their checkout states shipping times "after the order is shipped".

There is no free lunch
Oh, I definitely like a free lunch! :D I understand that the shipping is incorporated into the cost. All of their paid shipping options reflect shipping time AFTER the order is filled. So, they can peter around for weeks before filling the order if they want to regardless of selecting a paid option. Hence they are pushing you to a Prime membership. Not even sure how quickly they will process and fill an order with Prime.....

I'm in the backwoods of Canada so just about any shipping to me is 2 weeks instead of 2 days.

I avoid for numerous reasons, and last purchase, the item was located 2 towns over---took them a long time to get it here. (I didn't pay extra for shipping, nor would I join Prime.)

An unmarried neighbor, lives alone, works full-time, seems to get everything (or an awful lot) via Amazon Prime. Hardly a day goes by that there isn't a truckload of boxes on his front porch. Maybe it's worth it for him, and he doesn't mind what I consider to be some of the negatives of Amazon.

The problem arises when Amazon is the only game in town for some merchandise--then I settle.

You have to pay attention to who the actual seller is. If it is an item fulfilled by Amazon it usually ships pretty quick, even if you aren't a Prime member. If it is some random retailer selling through Amazon it can take a random amount of time somewhere between 2 days and 3 months.

Amazon descriptions are no more reliable than eBay descriptions. Prices are not dependably a bargain by any means. Watch your back.

if you watch who the seller is and if it is "fulfilled by amazon" ... I've order small things for years and never had an issue ... or had anything take more then a few days to be delivered ...

I'm OK with Amazon Prime, we definitely benefit from it and delivery has improved. I primarily use it for dog food, saves a couple of bucks and we don't have to drive 25 miles to get it. Of course, I use it for a lot of small items, I don't have to run out for and the Prime Video, watched a free movie last night. This year they offered a $40.00 Veterans Day Discount on Prime, I payed, my Prime membership was extended.

I do watch who the seller is, for instance I'm buying two 32GB CF cards but I'll get them through B&H to insure they're legit. I don't use Alexa or any of their digital stuff.

Live in a farm in rural area and Amazon is a true value for us. Have bought many knives from the big brands and no issues. I do look at seller feedback, return policy, ect.. prime is cheap and worth it in my situation. Amazon return policy makes me have zero reluctance from purchasing a knife and only elect to buy from sellers who use their return policy.

I'm a prime member and use the crap out of Amazon mostly because it's a convenience (prices are definitely not lower anymore). However, based on everything I've been hearing and reading about counterfeits and the fact that I too think that Jeff Bezos is a scumbag I think I am going to have to reevaluate.

I like Amazon in general, but you have to tread lightly and keep you eyes open. As others have said, there a counterfeits and cheap quality items. As far as the 3+ weeks delivery, I am assuming it is in stock in China, or some other country.

I've been a member of prime since the beginning with the best benefit being you can share your membership with 3 other family members (sisters and Father). I only buy items fulfilled by amazon and get 2, 1day or same day shipping on everything. Never had a counterfeit issue, but don't really use Amazon for things people would counterfeit. For example my space heater at the office died last week and it's pouring rain today and tomorrow. I ordered what I wanted today which is Saturday (oil filled Pelonis) for a great price and it will come tomorrow on Sunday. This + Costco makes shopping for a 4 person household easy and economical.

Don't disagree on the Jeff, but if I passed on every store or service with a questionable leader I would be home alone without any electronics, food or water.

When Amazon uses a supplier... not sold by Amazon Fullfillment.... I often receive the item separately or sometimes they are included in a single box. With the single box, do these suppliers ship to Amazon and they repackage to their customer? You often see a shipping charge for these items as well regardless of free shipping due to the amount of money involved. Any thoughts on how this works?

I don't care at all for Jeff B.

I don't use it for knives, but since I have been able to use my wife's Prime membership I have been using it for a lot of other things, especially those that would be hard to find locally or are simply not available anywhere around here. I don't like to spend a lot of time driving around looking for something I want/need only to wind up going home empty handed. I used Amazon less before the prime membership because it was annoying to order something with free shipping, then have the seller wait several days to send it. I got it in the time frame that they specified when I placed the order, but it felt like they were saying that if I wanted it quickly, I had to pay for a prime membership.

I've been a member of prime since the beginning with the best benefit being you can share your membership with 3 other family members (sisters and Father). I only buy items fulfilled by amazon and get 2, 1day or same day shipping on everything. Never had a counterfeit issue, but don't really use Amazon for things people would counterfeit. For example my space heater at the office died last week and it's pouring rain today and tomorrow. I ordered what I wanted today which is Saturday (oil filled Pelonis) for a great price and it will come tomorrow on Sunday. This + Costco makes shopping for a 4 person household easy and economical.

Don't disagree on the Jeff, but if I passed on every store or service with a questionable leader I would be home alone without any electronics, food or water.

I know that's the problem I have too. Many of the things I order simply aren't available locally and I HATE the idea of driving around looking for them. Sigh. I'm going to have a look at ebay although I suspect I would like their leadership about as much as Bezos. I heard a podcast today with a couple of the Amazon Echo / Alexa developers. I would NOT have one of those things in my home. Despite repeated questions and concerns raised by the interviewer they just could NOT or would NOT get the idea that people don't like the idea of their listening in on their customers.

Back